Author Topic: Yea! I found Sirlancelot flour in 50lb bags!  (Read 3107 times)

Offline bonesbr549

Yea! I found Sirlancelot flour in 50lb bags!
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »
Man, I got tired of buying the HG KAF in the little bags on line.  I found an alternative at the pa macaroni co (all trumps high gluten) in 5lb bags but still to much.  I called KAF and complained and they pointed me to their distributor list and I found one an hour away that I could drive to or ship ups.  They suggested a site to see if someone was local.  I did and found a place a few miles away and called and they ordered and I have my 50lb bag (26 bucks) in the kitchen.  Can't wait.   Now the problem, how do I store that much what do you guys do? Do they make a tupperware tub that big ;D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Yea! I found Sirlancelot flour in 50lb bags!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:00:41 PM »
You will find a lot of ideas from http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8313.msg71713.html#msg71713 and the links referenced therein.

Peter

Offline milo357

• Go and make Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:57:52 PM »
Pete,

When you store your flour in smaller bags and freeze it, do you use regular ziplocks off the shelf, or freezer bags or what?

Thanks!

Milo

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
Milo,

I just use standard large freezer bags, either snap fitting or with a slider closure.

Peter

Offline milo357

• Go and make Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
Cool!  I've got one of those little storage freezers I could stack flour in....

Sweeeeeetttt..... 8)

Thanks Pete!

Offline Reggiano

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
Check out the Vittles Vault. It's available at most Petco. Made from food grade plastic, with several sizes to choose from. It has a Neoprene gasket in the lid, to keep your product inside fresh. A little pricey, but will last forever.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:23 PM »
 Now the problem, how do I store that much what do you guys do? Do they make a tupperware tub that big ;D

You can send 1/2 my way.  I'll help you use it up.   ;D

50lbs for $26.  Wow, I guessI need to find a distributor as well.   :(

Online scott123

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:23:20 AM »
I picked up 2 airtight 3.5ish gallon plastic buckets and lids from my supermarket's bakery department for free.  I asked on 3 occasions- one time they had a bucket with no lid, but the other two times they had the large buckets and lids I was looking for.  One was for doughnut glaze and the other for creme filling. They're a bit of a hassle to wash, but, hey, want do you want for nothing.

I haven't measured it out, but I'm practically positive that a 50 lb. bag of flour will fit in 2 of these large buckets, probably with a little room to spare.

Presently I'm debating whether or not to ask for 2 more buckets so I can store another bag.  I go through flour pretty quickly, but, not that quickly.  I found an unbromated unbleached bread flour (12.1% protein) from BSM (wingold special) that I want to play around with, but I want to have my old reliable All Trumps on hand as well. Decisions decisions :)

Offline Kalvin

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »
For those of us in the Washington-Baltimore area, George R Ruhl & Son (a bakery distributor) in Hanover, MD serves individuals from 9am-1pm M-F. I haven't been there yet but earlier this week they quoted over the phone $16.75 for KASL and $13.85 for KASG.

If only I had room to store it all, I would have already picked some up!

(since I am a lurker with just a few posts, can one of the mods url-ize this for me?) www(dot)grruhl(dot)com/home(dot)html

Offline dms

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »
I picked up 2 airtight 3.5ish gallon plastic buckets and lids from my supermarket's bakery department for free.  I asked on 3 occasions- one time they had a bucket with no lid, but the other two times they had the large buckets and lids I was looking for.  One was for doughnut glaze and the other for creme filling. They're a bit of a hassle to wash, but, hey, want do you want for nothing.

I haven't measured it out, but I'm practically positive that a 50 lb. bag of flour will fit in 2 of these large buckets, probably with a little room to spare.

I keep flour in 3.5 gallon buckets. (They're used for all sorts of stuff in food service; mine once held soup base.). a 25 pound bag more than fills one of these buckets.  It would take three (and possibly part of a foruth) to hold 50 lbs. 

If you can find them, square buckets are much nicer.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 09:56:41 PM »
Kalvin,

Here is the link: http://www.grruhl.com/

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 11:07:18 PM »
I have also been able to buy KA Sir Lancelot in 50# bags for $16.75 at Ginsberg,a restaurant supply store in Hudson,NY. They have a small cash n carry store on Rt.66 a short distance from Hudson. They also sell All Trumps for slightly less.

Offline nirc

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 12:18:57 PM »
too bad i dont leave in the NY area. anyone know where i get KASL in the chicago area? thanks