Author Topic: My attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone.  (Read 2844 times)

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
  • Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
Re: My attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone.
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 10:33:36 AM »
Fazzari-Thank you so much for your advice, it's greatly appreciated! I'll follow your lead.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2016, 02:20:47 AM »
I've been playing along at home since getting my wonderful Ezzo pepperoni.  Highly recommended!!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2016, 11:42:02 AM »
I was kinda waiting for 333meg to post about this stuff, but since she hasn't yet...

333meg came up to my place yesterday, and we went to UA Tommy's for a mid-afternoon lunch. We got a large pepperoni pizza. It was much thinner than what you usually get from UA Tommy's. Strange. I thought it was also much better than usual, although it may have been a little too thin. (Leftovers got floppy, which I don't think ever happens.) It didn't have a noticeably malty or fermented flavor, which I think surprised us both.

I consciously thought about this yesterday for the first time ever: When you walk into Tommy's—I "walked" for the first time away from home in four months yesterday, with help from my walker—there's a very distinct smell that tells you you're at Tommy's. It smells like pizza, but there's something very unique about it. It's a smell that can only be Tommy's. You know what I'm talking about, 333meg? I think we may need to obsessively analyze that smell sometime.

Something I was reminded of as I ate the pizza: Since UA Tommy's bakes on pans, the dough takes the shape of the outside of the pan. I don't usually think about this because I prefer baking without a pan. I think I've mentioned this in the original Tommy's thread, but it may suggest a softer dough than my best-yet formula.

Seems like we determined there was visually a noticeable amount of garlic powder sprinkled atop our UA Tommy's pizza, in at least one spot, but it didn't overpower the other flavors (or even stand out at all, to me).

We also stopped by OSU Tommy's to pick up a large pepperoni to go. I only had one piece, but I think both of us had similar impressions regarding how it was different than UA Tommy's. First, it had a fermented or malty smell/flavor. And strangely it was thicker than the one we had down the street. It was almost like UA Tommy's was serving OSU Tommy's pizza yesterday and OSU Tommy's was serving UA Tommy's pizza.

If anyone can provide 333meg a good explanation for bakers' percentages, please do. I think she said she doesn't really know how they work, and I'd probably complicate the hell out of it if I try to explain.

I think we both made a good friend yesterday. There may not have been more than a few seconds of silence between us the whole time we hung out. Also, our "date" seems to have unexpectedly helped me take a huge step forward in my recovery from nasty injuries and other crappy things.

Here's a picture our waitress took with 333meg's phone. I still have some leftovers. I may take some pictures as I eat them, to share later.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 08:16:08 PM by Pete-zza »
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »
Ryan,

Great to hear about your experience eating some Tommy's pizzas.  I'm sure you and Meghan had fun socializing and analyzing the pizzas.  I hope you will continue taking huge steps forward in your recovery from injuries and everything else.  Excellent photo of you both!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:20:38 AM by RockyMountainPie »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2016, 04:56:38 PM »
I'm eating the leftovers 333meg left with me yesterday. Thoughts:

Oil/fat percentage seems considerably less than 5% (which is the percentage I used in my best-yet formula). Right now I'm inclined to think maybe 2% might be more appropriate.

Now that I've had another piece of the pizza from OSU Tommy's, I'm inclined to think yesterday's pizza from that location may have been fairly consistent with what I'd expect from that location. I guess maybe the one piece I ate yesterday from OSU Tommy's seemed thicker than I'd expect mostly because the pizza from UA Tommy's was so uncharacteristically thin.

The UA Tommy's pizza was very abnormally thin compared to what I expect from that location. It was very good, but I'm puzzled by what seems to be a significantly thinner pizza than usual.
Ryan

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »
Because you look like such happy pizza eaters, I took the liberty of rotating and cropping your photo.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
Because you look like such happy pizza eaters, I took the liberty of rotating and cropping your photo.
I fixed the original photo anyway. I was out of town when it first appeared, and I haven't yet figured out how to fix photos on my iPad.

Peter

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »
Curious to know if you noticed the taste of fennel in your sauce at either of the 2 locations.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
I didn't, and I don't remember 333meg saying anything about fennel while we were together. If you're alluding to the post I wrote with the tips from a blog follower, 333meg may have something to say about that. I believe she may have recently gone to what used to be the original Tommy's. Or something like that.

This time I didn't even notice any oregano. Seemed like a very simple sauce, with kind of a fresh, bright taste. We noticed garlic powder on at least one pepperoni.

Hope you chime in, 333meg. Seems like you had some valuable things to say about that other place you went to (on 5th Avenue?).
Ryan

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2016, 06:52:22 PM »
I've been playing along at home since getting my wonderful Ezzo pepperoni.  Highly recommended!!

Tim! I love your pizzas. They look amazing...and you like the Ezzo? It's excellent isn't it? So since I keep fighting the enormous bubbles...did u dock the dough? Your pizzas look so perfectly even. I've already made my mind up to dock my next dough even if it's not what Tommy's does.  Also, what cheese did you use? I like the way your cheese looks all melted and yummy. Also, did you bake directly on a stone? I'd love your thoughts. Thank you so much for sharing Tim, it's greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:01:08 PM by 333meg »
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »
Curious to know if you noticed the taste of fennel in your sauce at either of the 2 locations.

Hi Ted, I am very behind! I do have something to say about the fennel thing. I did not notice any presence of fennel at Tommy's during our recent visit, not at all, nor have I ever. I will however write up my fennel notes on Ryan's thread because it's where the conversation began. Ryan and I spoke about it and I think it's very interesting.

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »
Ryan! Thanks so much for the write up because I have been swamped. As we sat there, we analyzed and enjoyed every single moment. The smell as we entered...classic Tommy's and something more to look at (or smell rather) in the future. Maybe we can learn something from the smell. Also, as we ate I began talking about the malt flavor and my last Tommy's visit at the Dublin location, it was very present. This recent visit, it was not. I was talking about it and said to some affect...I wish someone would tell us how to bring the malt favor in. Ryan's response? I can't quote but he said something like, I think that's going to be up to us...I love that and it's so true. So we're on it! I'll figure out baker's percentages and then I'll be all the better. My life is so much richer because of Pizzamaking.com and not just because of the extra cholesterol lining my arteries. All you guys and this site have brought a lot of joy to my life! And thank you Ryan.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:23:26 PM by 333meg »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
OK, I need to let y'all know 333meg produced the most awesome looking blistered crust a few days ago. She sent me a picture, so I've been waiting for her to share a recap and some more pictures. Hopefully this post will motivate her.
Ryan

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2016, 04:15:26 PM »
Yes, Indeed I had a great result, by far my best yet and I owe it all to Fazzari and of course Ryan...Fazzari said don't forget "time". So that's what I did, I gave the skin in the fridge time. I was just blown away by the result. I was beyond happy and excited!

I made Ryan's recipe, the one that I began this thread with, I used sugar no malt, I also used lard rather than crisco but everything else was the same. Well I did dock the dough, I had to get rid of my bubble problem once and for all. I made pizza #1 the same as I have been. Once rolled out, the skin was in the fridge for only 4 hours. My friend came over and the pizza came out pretty good and we enjoyed it.

But for skin #2, I gave it what Fazzari recommended, time. I rolled out the dough when my friend left and I left the skin in the fridge for 16.5 hours (covered loosely in plastic wrap). I baked it as I normally do (but docked) and have been doing but what a difference a day makes! I was in awe. It was crispy and crunchy but not too much so. There were beautiful blisters on the underside of the cooked pizza and just a few bubbles on top. It was by far my best attempt at Ryan's Tommy's pizza clone. I surprised myself, I couldn't believe I made it, it was that good! With pie#2 , I ran out of the Belgiosso Provo I had been using so I used Boar's Head Provo for the first time, it was quite greasy in comparison. I don't mind a little grease but I will keep looking for a better provolone to use. Maybe next time I will use 50/50 of them both. Thank you Fazzari and thank you Ryan for this wonderful gift of pizzamaking.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
Meg thanks so much for sharing your refinements, you pie looks fantastic! 

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2016, 01:00:30 PM »
Looks fantastic!   Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Online invertedisdead

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2016, 03:10:22 PM »
Killer cracker right there!
Ryan

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2016, 05:42:03 PM »
Wow! Looks great!

I just mixed the dough for two pies. Going to bench rest the dough for 24 hours. I once saw a dude at Tommy's campus lugging up a large lexan pan full of risen dough from the basement.

Hopefully will be better than my last effort
Tommy's pizza fan. Trying to emulate Tommy's using Aimless Ryan's recipe

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
Thank you to all of you guys, you're very nice!  I was quite proud of myself I have to say. From the beginning of this thread until now is a big learning curve with a lot more learning to come, and fun all the way around.

Floridian, It's those details little by little that can make a difference in trying to nail it all down. Do I remember you saying you had a friend who used to manage a Tommy's? I would love to know more. In Ryan's thread someone commented that they only had to add water to the dry ingrediants to mix the dough. Do you know anything about that?  I look forward to reading how your current attempt goes!

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 04:44:13 AM »
Tim! I love your pizzas. They look amazing...and you like the Ezzo? It's excellent isn't it? So since I keep fighting the enormous bubbles...did u dock the dough? Your pizzas look so perfectly even. I've already made my mind up to dock my next dough even if it's not what Tommy's does.  Also, what cheese did you use? I like the way your cheese looks all melted and yummy. Also, did you bake directly on a stone? I'd love your thoughts. Thank you so much for sharing Tim, it's greatly appreciated.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond.  Thanks for your compliments on my pizza.  I really do like the Ezzo -- I think it's even better than Vermont Smoked and Cured.  I didn't dock the pizzas in the photos I posted but I didn't do the lamination process on these skins -- I just rolled them out once and cut them to size.  The cheese I used was a whole milk mozzarella called Villa Frizzoni.  I got it at a Shamrock Whole foods Distributor.  I like it a lot.  I baked these pizzas in my Blackstone at temps of 600 to 700 degrees.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pizzas.  You're doing a great job with them!

wordpress