Author Topic: DKM's Thin Crust w/Pictures  (Read 60676 times)

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
Re: DKM's Thin Crust w/Pictures
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
So, attempt #2 was much better.  I used KAAP instead of KABF, which made a noticable difference in how the dough handled, and moving to the bottom rack improved the bake.  Next time, I think I'll add a parbake, and maybe post some pictures...

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2011, 01:38:08 AM »
Based on my last comment and Steve's method of letting dough rest, a few weeks ago when I cooked pie, I tested 2 batches of my dough.  Resting 24 hours, one in the refrigerator, the other on the countertop, same ingredients.

I had identical results, taste, oven bounce, texture, etc.  But the room temperature dough rolled out much, much easier.

Cheers!
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline jamesstark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
First of all, A HUGE THANK YOU to this entire community for even existing!  Stumbling onto a recipe to recreate the Village Inn Pizza Parlour of my youth has absolutely made my year! :D

I've made the DKM crust several times now, with pretty great success.  I had been using King Arthur Bread Flour so far, as I wasn't able to pin down a source for High Gluten flour.  But today I found one! :D  So as soon as I get my hands on an appropriate container, I'll be going to buy the 50lb bag of flour at our local Cash & Carry.  Thank you to rsimon719 for the suggestions on large containers.  I've already ordered a Vittles Vault.

I got the nice bubbles and layers, but had a problem:  My one remaining question is regarding the way my dough browned....or rather didn't.  Rather than turning a nice golden brown, it stayed white and dried out into the consistency of a hard, old, biscuit.  I suspect this is probably due to two different reasons:

1. I didn't know how to properly "grease" my pizza pan.  Unfortunately I only had non-stick pizza pans on hand, so I gave them a quick dousing of cooking spray.  In retrospect, I should probably invest in non-stick pans and grease with olive oil.  Thoughts?

2. I also used Canola Oil instead of Vegetable oil.  Can this make a difference?  The smoke point of Canola Oil is much higher than Vegetable Oil, so I thought that would actually keep more of it in the crust and give it a chance to brown.  I did notice a great deal of vapor/smoke coming off of the crust after the par bake.  I assumed it was just water vapor, but perhaps it was the oil smoking out.  I read one comment that mentioned increasing the fat content of the dough to get the crispy, golden-brown, results...but doesn't this mess-up the consistency of the dough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

And finally one other BIG question for my personal situation:  My family recently discovered that we all suffer from a strange genetic form of Kidney Disease.  We're all going to make it, but it means we have to cut down our salt intake.  Can the salt in this recipe be reduced at all without harming the results?

Cheers!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2014, 11:59:35 PM »
First of all, A HUGE THANK YOU to this entire community for even existing!  Stumbling onto a recipe to recreate the Village Inn Pizza Parlour of my youth has absolutely made my year! :D

I've made the DKM crust several times now, with pretty great success.  I had been using King Arthur Bread Flour so far, as I wasn't able to pin down a source for High Gluten flour.  But today I found one! :D  So as soon as I get my hands on an appropriate container, I'll be going to buy the 50lb bag of flour at our local Cash & Carry.  Thank you to rsimon719 for the suggestions on large containers.  I've already ordered a Vittles Vault.

I got the nice bubbles and layers, but had a problem:  My one remaining question is regarding the way my dough browned....or rather didn't.  Rather than turning a nice golden brown, it stayed white and dried out into the consistency of a hard, old, biscuit.  I suspect this is probably due to two different reasons:

1. I didn't know how to properly "grease" my pizza pan.  Unfortunately I only had non-stick pizza pans on hand, so I gave them a quick dousing of cooking spray.  In retrospect, I should probably invest in non-stick pans and grease with olive oil.  Thoughts?

2. I also used Canola Oil instead of Vegetable oil.  Can this make a difference?  The smoke point of Canola Oil is much higher than Vegetable Oil, so I thought that would actually keep more of it in the crust and give it a chance to brown.  I did notice a great deal of vapor/smoke coming off of the crust after the par bake.  I assumed it was just water vapor, but perhaps it was the oil smoking out.  I read one comment that mentioned increasing the fat content of the dough to get the crispy, golden-brown, results...but doesn't this mess-up the consistency of the dough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

And finally one other BIG question for my personal situation:  My family recently discovered that we all suffer from a strange genetic form of Kidney Disease.  We're all going to make it, but it means we have to cut down our salt intake.  Can the salt in this recipe be reduced at all without harming the results?

Cheers!
post a pic james...i`ll help you with this.
for now, use corn oil and a salt substitute...we don`t want to kill you and your family.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jamesstark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »
Hi Chicago Bob!

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't get any pics of my previous attempts, but I'll be sure to snap some this when I make some this week.

I assume you mean corn oil for in the dough, and not to grease the pan?

Sadly salt substitutes are equally harmful to kidney disease.  I just try to "be good" with all my other meals so that I can indulge in this recipe when I need to. :)

Cheers!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »
Hi Chicago Bob!

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't get any pics of my previous attempts, but I'll be sure to snap some this when I make some this week.

I assume you mean corn oil for in the dough, and not to grease the pan?

Sadly salt substitutes are equally harmful to kidney disease.  I just try to "be good" with all my other meals so that I can indulge in this recipe when I need to. :)

Cheers!
yes, for the dough....please, no grease in the pan.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
Steve,

What pepperoni did you use in those first images where it bowled up?  Reminds me of the old frozen tony's pizzas.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.