Author Topic: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!  (Read 141581 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »
dogboy,

I tested the link at the time of my post and also today and it worked both times on my iPad. But see if this works:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26828.msg271346.html#msg271346

Peter

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
I was trying to access it from taptalk. That didn't work so I went to the forum and poof!! It worked.
My experience with some diffrent African cultures.
Uganda. They were not a fan of pizzzas. Not sure why but most chose a bowl of rice and curry over pizza.
Sierra Leone.  I ate at a restaurant 1 time when I made it into the big city of freetown. It was cooked in a brick oven. Not many locals ate there and it was mostly expats.
Back in Lungi, S.L. I made my pies for the hotel staff. I'm not to sure they had eaten pizza before. Also not sure they liked my sauce. As they made a ground gift get sauce that I wished I had paid more attention to how it was made because it was tasty. Hot but good.
Ingredients where difficult to aquire. Cheese came over from freetown and was pricey. Not much in the way of refrigeration in Lungi. I hit the street markets to find tomatos and flour. Flour was difficult to find also. One big plus was the humidity and heat. I never had seen dough rise the way it did there.
Quite an interesting experience to say the least. Lived there for 4 months. Not somewhere I would choose to go back to.
So I would guess many African countries have difficulty in getting the products to make pizza therfore they have not developed the taste for it.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2014, 11:02:26 PM »
Tonite cracker crust

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2014, 11:39:41 PM »
This was a little thick. Probably 1/2 inch. It looked heavy but didn't eat heavy ;) did not use any sugar this time as suggested by CB and  it did not burn!!!  Sauce was basic. Crushed tomatos. Cheese was a mix of moz and provolone.kind of a mix of what was in the fridge. Some fresh moz some sliced provolon. Very dry dough which h made it hard to roll thin. I bought a scale this evening so future I will have weights. But it was 2.5 cups KABF 1/4 cup corn oil. 1 and 1/4 cup water 1 package ADY.  Tasted better then it looked!!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »
This was a little thick. Probably 1/2 inch. It looked heavy but didn't eat heavy ;) did not use any sugar this time as suggested by CB and  it did not burn!!!  Sauce was basic. Crushed tomatos. Cheese was a mix of moz and provolone.kind of a mix of what was in the fridge. Some fresh moz some sliced provolon. Very dry dough which h made it hard to roll thin. I bought a scale this evening so future I will have weights. But it was 2.5 cups KABF 1/4 cup corn oil. 1 and 1/4 cup water 1 package ADY. Tasted better then it looked!!
I think it looks great dogboy....nice work!  :chef:
Get that thickness down and you'll be right in the middle of Cracker Town.  ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »
Snowy day in the midwest.= pizza dough making day!! CB I now have a scale!!! Next I will learn percentage.  2 doughs being made. One for the fridge for a 2 day cold fermentation.  The other for today. 300g KABF 100g seminola. 32g corn oil. 50g warm water and 1 pack of ADY. 100g beer. Had to use Miller lite... big black pepper flakes. Dried oregano and basil + fennel seed. Touch of garlic salt.
Dough is pretty dry but for cracker that is what I want.. I think???
Going to cook one up this afternoon.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
Dough is pretty dry but for cracker that is what I want.. I think???

Yes.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »
Thanks to all on this forum!!! I have made 100s if not more pizzas over the past 5  years and nothing has compared to what I have learned from you people!! 

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Best ever thin crust pizza!
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
This is the formula I came up with for the ingredient weights you listed:

75% Flour
25% Semolina
12.5% Water
25% Beer
1.6% ADY
No salt?
8% Corn oil

I translated 1 packet of ADY as 2.25 tsp. Not sure if that's accurate, but I'm pretty sure it's close.

Your dough should be very similar to my Tommy's dough, although I'm not sure how KABF vs. Pillsbury AP changes things. Nor am I sure how no salt changes things. Nor am I sure how your use of semolina changes things. (I'm not a fan of semolina.) From pictures I've seen of similarly stiff doughs using KABF, I'd expect your dough to be a lot stronger (or more rubbery) than the same dough using Pillsbury or Gold Medal AP (which is what I'm used to). With 8% oil, I'd also expect this crust to be noticeably flaky (if laminated, which I think you're doing).

If you are laminating these skins, I suggest you use very little bench flour when rolling. If you don't need to use bench flour, don't. I like my dough to stick to the counter just a little while rolling, because it takes a ton of work and time to roll if it doesn't stick a little. When it begins to stick a little too much, I add a very small amount of bench flour to both sides of the dough and continue rolling.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »
Awesome ty!!! I added a pinch of garlic salt to the dough not much just a good pinch. I will also try to use very little if any bench flour when rolling out. Thanks again for putting this into percetage!!!! :)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
Almost everyone learns how to understand bakers' percentages by using much simpler formulas than yours. By using two different types of flour and by using two different forms of hydration, you've kinda complicated the expression of the formula in two ways that are rarely used. That will probably make it a little more difficult for you to understand bakers' percentages.

Simplifying your formula to make it look more like a common formula, it would look like this:

100% Flour (sum of flour and semolina percentages)
37.5% Water (sum of water and beer percentages)
1.6% ADY
8% Corn oil

Basically, the total flour always ads up to 100%. So since you use two different types of flour, that 100% must be split into two smaller percentages that add up to 100%. Since 300 grams of flour is 75% of 400 grams of total flour, that means your flour must be expressed as 75%. Since your semolina portion is 25% of the total flour weight, it is expressed as 25%.

Same thing with the water and beer. Even though oil may seem like a liquid, it is not considered part of the hydration when using bakers' percentages.

I'm trying not to say too much here because I don't want to complicate things even more. (I'm really good at unintentionally complicating things.)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »
Nice pie Morgan. That looks like a great example of cracker style. Congrats.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2014, 08:23:13 PM »
I ate my pizzas before I got pictures.. oops.. anyway here is tonight's pizzas. Dough was 48 hour cold fermentation of the above dough recipe with beer. I laminated 1 pizza which was extremely tough to do as it was so dry. No bench flour. Perferated. Cooked on crisper for 10 minutes at 500 and finished on stone for 4 minutes. Pizza 2 is the triangles on the right. No lamination. Rolled a little thicker and cooked on a screen on a stone. I don't think I will laminate such a dry dough again as the unlimited one was much lighter and fluffier.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »
Laminated and not laminated

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »
dogboy, I think I know what you are trying to make here....I may be waaay off base so try my recommendation if you want to, or don't try it if you don't want to.  ;)   It's a same day dough recommendation so you really don't have much to loose...a lil flour, sauce and some cheese.

Add 10% water/beer whatever to your mix.....cut your oil in half, cut your yeast in half, use 2% salt...ditch the screen and crisper and cook right on the stone....  use 8oz dough for 12in pizza, should take about 12min. to bake @ 475.  :chef:
Try it...you might like it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:43:05 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »
Bob I will try this and once again thank you!!

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
« Reply #216 on: January 09, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »
That is a fine cracker crumb! Love the look of that dough ball, whaa? Will have to try. Been weary of the endless search for the perfect cracker crust pizza and was ready to try the Chicago style deep dish for a change, but will give this a spin.

Thanks and Cheers.
I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
Today's cracker crust

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »
Ok you all have talked me into trying this.
Couple of things.
1) I have a cast iron lodge pizza pan
2) I have a Kitchen Aid Artisan Mixer
3) I have KASL flour
4) Home oven 550 highest
5) Cold house 63 degrees (wife likes it that way and I dont mind except when making dough)
6) No proofing temp in old oven
7) I have a pasta making machine that can sheet dough but it would be in 6 inch wide pieces. I have nothing against making a  bunch of small rectangular pizzas.

Anyway what do you think as a recipe/ rise time (fridge or counter), parbake? temp and time.

If you lived in my world how would you make this pizza?

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
Ok couldnt wait for advice.

Used this recipe
Dough Recipe

1 pound (or about 3 1/2 cups) high gluten flour
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Converted to grams

454 g KASL
177g Warm water
14g Veg Oil
4.7 g yeast
6g Sugar
6g Salt

I added a little water at end as it wasnt coming together. Prob too much water now. We will see.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3820/12001595585_60dd7d33d3_b.jpg
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:54:05 PM by rromeo923 »

pizzapan