Author Topic: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!  (Read 141274 times)

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Well I have had the dough out on counter in sealed plastic tub. I am concerned that it has risen too much. I was expecting very little rise. I have since put it in the fridge. I am sure my dough was too wet.  More to come....

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
Okay.

I made some pizza. Main pizza was rolled out by hand roller. It was too thick and the crust was tough. I parbaked on a perforated aluminum pizza pan.at 450 and then 450 for about 13 min more on cast iron.

I had some left over dough and pulled out the pasta maker. I machine rolled out two pieces. One really thin and the other one  medium in comparison to other two. These turned out better with the medium one getting close to what I wanted.

Very big difference in the pizza depending on thickness.

Learning.

Online dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »
Any photos?

Online dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »
I like my pizza crisper if I parbake it.

Online dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »
For 400g flour I use 150g hydration. The dough does not come together as many other dough recipes. It's a dry dough. Usually don't need to parbake it as the dough is dry and I make it on my peel and it slides right off. A little seminola flour mix on the peel if I think it needs it.

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »
How do you put photos on here??

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline Chicago 67

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza! Thanks
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Hi folks.
    I'm new at this blogging business. This is my very first. Here I go for what its worth. Last night I made two different recipe's. The first was my own recipe for cracker crust. The second pizza was Steve's recipe via DKM. I have to say that you guy's nailed it. Your recipe was great. not the easiest dough to make but well worth the work.
    I am a perfectionist. I'm not sure if that is good or bad but being a perfectionist has served me well through out my food service career.
    This recipe is not exactly what I have been trying to perfect but for now it is my new go to thin crust pizza. I am not Knocking this recipe at all. I have been trying to duplicate Barroco's pizza. They have five locations on the south side of Chicago. I am thinking that a might be able to tweak this recipe. I'm so close. I want to thank you guy's
     Chef jerry   

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
Hi folks.
    I'm new at this blogging business. This is my very first. Here I go for what its worth. Last night I made two different recipe's. The first was my own recipe for cracker crust. The second pizza was Steve's recipe via DKM. I have to say that you guy's nailed it. Your recipe was great. not the easiest dough to make but well worth the work.
    I am a perfectionist. I'm not sure if that is good or bad but being a perfectionist has served me well through out my food service career.
    This recipe is not exactly what I have been trying to perfect but for now it is my new go to thin crust pizza. I am not Knocking this recipe at all. I have been trying to duplicate Barroco's pizza. They have five locations on the south side of Chicago. I am thinking that a might be able to tweak this recipe. I'm so close. I want to thank you guy's
     Chef jerry   
Welcome aboard Chef Jerry.  8)
Does my pizza look like a Barroco's pizza?   
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22946.0
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
Hi folks.
     Chef jerry   

Jerry,

I have eaten the thin crust pizzas a few times before my local Barracos was bought out by Luciano's.  Barracos crust is tenderer than other Chicago places.  To me that means more oil in the crust.  Their sauce was very good from what I can remember.  Had a nice bright tang to it.  A tomato paste based sauce for sure.  The bottom of the crust is very different too.  Almost tastes like a super fine cornmeal or semolina and it's abundant.  Anything else you can add Jerry?

The recipe below will get you close but u may need to modify a little.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28938.0

Nate
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:03:59 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:01 PM »
Last night I made two different recipe's. The first was my own recipe for cracker crust. The second pizza was Steve's recipe via DKM. I have to say that you guy's nailed it.

Glad it worked for you.  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
Hi folks.
     Chef jerry   

Jerry I played around with a few pies and your best bet to replicate a Barracos style pizza is a dough with 42-43% hydration and 7-9% corn oil.  To recreate the bottom I actually rolled semolina flour into it to give it that sandy feel.  The bottom was closer but not exact.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline hockman4357

Re:Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
Hey Steve, maybe a stupid question, but what are you referring to when you mention  "working on the cracker crust recipe for the main website." Do you have a website of your own with pizza/sauce recipes?  If so, please steer me in the right direction.  One last thing, what brand of 16" cutter pan do you use and where did you buy it?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:00:46 AM by hockman4357 »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »
Hey Steve, maybe a stupid question, but what are you referring to when you mention  "working on the cracker crust recipe for the main website." Do you have a website of your own with pizza/sauce recipes?  If so, please steer me in the right direction.  One last thing, what brand of 16" cutter pan do you use and where did you buy it?

The main website is http://www.pizzamaking.com which has a few recipes. Those recipes are old and outdated... I should probably just delete them.

Cutter pan came from http://www.pizzatools.com/
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
I don't think you should delete them. Maybe replace them with more up-to-date, refined information. I know that takes some work and that it's a hassle, though. So maybe it would work to update the recipe pages with a minimal amount of detail and provide links to the best, most detailed threads for each style.

From what I remember, even years ago, I occasionally found my way to some of the pizzamaking.com recipe pages, but I never stuck around because my pizzamaking skills were already beyond what I saw on the recipe pages. Because of that, I assumed the boards were not very useful to me; that they were probably more appropriate for people who were less experienced than myself. So I never looked at the boards. However, I now realize the boards were much more sophisticated and more helpful than what I saw on the front of the site. As a result of joining the forum, my pizzamaking skills and knowledge have increased exponentially.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there who, similarly, would feel at home on the boards but have never bothered looking at the boards because the front of the site is so outdated.

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
The main website is http://www.pizzamaking.com which has a few recipes. Those recipes are old and outdated... I should probably just delete them.

Cutter pan came from http://www.pizzatools.com/

Do you use the anodized variety that has a 16" top diameter?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:55:56 PM by hockman4357 »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
I don't think you should delete them. Maybe replace them with more up-to-date, refined information.

I agree... it's just finding the time.  :-\

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »
Do you use the anodized variety that has a 16" top diameter?

I bought the regular 16" cutter pan. But, if I had to do it over, I'd probably get the anodized.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #238 on: April 15, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »
I agree... it's just finding the time.  :-\

Hire Garvey to do it. His instructions are by far the easiest to follow on the site.  ;D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »
On second thought, I don't think you should replace the recipes on the front of the site. Rather, perhaps maybe you could just add a disclaimer to each recipe page that says something to the effect of, "This recipe is somewhat outdated. We've left it here, though, because we feel that this recipe is much more helpful for beginning pizzamakers than the countless recipes on the pizzamaking.com message boards, which are appropriate for more-experienced pizzamakers..." There could be a link to the main page of the message boards, followed by a list of links to particularly helpful threads for the same pizza style as each respective recipe page.

That way it wouldn't scare off inexperienced pizzamakers, plus it would let them know that there is a next step once they gain a bit of experience. Also, for new visitors who are already somewhat experienced but who don't already know about the boards, it would lead them to the next natural progression of their journey into the world of pizzamaking; it would lead them specifically to what they came here hoping to find.

I offer these thoughts based on my own experiences of about ten years ago, when I had outgrown my cookbooks and was searching everywhere (on the internet) for the next step of pizzamaking knowledge or instruction. Google searches often led me to both the front of this site AND the boards. However, I never took the boards seriously enough to look into them deeply because I knew they were part of the same site that wasn't really useful to me. So I just assumed the boards were equally not useful to me, and I didn't look deep enough to find out that I was wrong about that. And the only reason I know for sure that I did often find my way to the boards is that I remember coming across the moniker "Pete-zza" more than a few times. That's kinda unforgettable. Especially knowing what I know now.

So anyway, that may be something to think about.