Author Topic: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!  (Read 141621 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2004, 06:45:19 PM »
Okay DKM & Steve I have my pizza brain thin crust setting on the counter.  In Steve’s thin crust post he said he sealed the dough in a plastic container.  Did he mean air tight or just covered with a lid or saran wrap?

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2004, 09:37:54 PM »
I don't know what Steve did, but mine was just coved with plastic wrap and then a dish towel.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2004, 09:49:55 PM »
Okay DKM & Steve I have my pizza brain thin crust setting on the counter.  In Steve’s thin crust post he said he sealed the dough in a plastic container.  Did he mean air tight or just covered with a lid or saran wrap?

I always put my doughs in a plastic bucket to rise (I use the 1-gallon plastic ice cream buckets... after the ice cream has been eaten, of course!)  ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2004, 11:25:44 PM »
I don't know what Steve did, but mine was just coved with plastic wrap and then a dish towel.

DKM

While in a plasic container.

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2004, 06:07:19 AM »
When I checked my dough this morning my dough ball split in half like an egg.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2004, 10:05:10 AM »
Never seen that before.  I guess it is in a pretty big container?

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2004, 05:21:42 PM »
How long do you cook the thin crust?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »
It was really good.  More in the morning.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2004, 09:01:02 AM »
The pizza was really good but it was not like the one in Steve’s pictures.  Mine did not have any of the large bubbles in the crust that his pictures showed.  I may have docked it too much.  The crust was crisp and stiff, no doubt about that but it was not cracker like.
I was taken by the beer smell that rose from the dough every time the roller made a pass.  It was like popping the top on a cold one.  Overall, I found the texture and crispness to be the same as my thin crust.   It did roll out much easier than mine.
If I were to make it again, I would increase the amount of water ever so slightly since the dough fell apart overnight.  Maybe to a scant ¾ cup.

Good recipe Steve & DKM.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2004, 02:37:47 PM »
I also added a couple of tablespoons of water.  I need to try it again.

DKM

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2004, 03:59:53 PM »
Yes, I have to agree with adding a tad more water. Made up a batch last night using the 2/3 cup measure and it was extremely dry and crumbly. But, I didn't add a drop of extra water so we'll see how it turns out tonight.

Can't wait to try DKM's Chicago pizza in a few hours...  ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2004, 06:40:56 PM »
Here's a close-up of the last "best ever" thin crust that I made last weekend. This one was under-cooked, the bottom wasn't as crisp as I would have liked it. But, it was delicious nontheless!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2004, 07:08:38 PM »
Bump!

Bringing this thread back to the top since I'm working on the cracker crust recipe for the main website.

I want to experiement with cooking temperature and time.

I've been thinking that a lower oven temperature and longer cooking time will allow the crust to cook longer, without burning, thus allowing the moisture in the crust to bake-out, or evaporate, which should produce a more crisp, more cracker-like crust. I'm thinking 425 to 450 degrees F?

Opinions anyone?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 07:09:41 PM by Steve »

Offline Laura

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2004, 03:20:02 PM »
Hello All.  I'm a new poster to this site.  I prepared the "Best ever thin cracker crust dough" yesterday.  It was a little on the dry side but I resisted adding water.  I may live to regret that decision as it's been about 20 hours now and the dough isn't looking very moist.  Perhaps miracles will happen in the next 4 hours or so, though.

I have a question for the forum.  My kids love the Domino's thin crust and I noticed on the Domino's web site that they use both yeast and baking powder in the dough.  Has anyone tried this in the cracker crust recipe?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2004, 09:32:42 PM »
I'v never tried it personally, but ti does give me some ideas.

Does your dough looke like it is rising? and coming togther as a single ball?

DKM
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:34:47 PM by DKM »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2004, 08:11:15 AM »
I've made this recipe twice now in the last two weeks. Both times the dough was very dry but it was very "rollable" when I went to make pizza. And, both times, the pizza turned out excellent.

Now, I want to follow up  by saying that during this same two week period, I had my wife make up a batch of the dough since I had forgotten to do so. Her dough, OTOH, turned out absolutely horrible. It was waaaaay too dry and you could see bits of undisolved yeast throughout. I attempted to salvage the chunk of "dough" but it wouldn't budge under the pressure of a rolling pin.  >:(

We ended up going out to dinner that night (and tried a new pizza joint in the process).

I don't know what she did differently than I did, but she used the exact same recipe that I used and did everything by weight.

Now, I will say that this is how I do it:

I put the empty mixing bowl on my digital scale and tare to zero. I add in exactly pound (16 oz.) high gluten flour. Next, I remove the mixer bowl from the scale, then place a glass measuring cup on the scale and tare to zero. Then, I add 5.6 ounces of spring water to the cup. Then, in the microwave oven, zap the water for 30-60 seconds until it's warm. Then, I add the yeast, salt, and sugar and mix until it's all dissolved. I put everything into my food processor and run (with steel blade) for about 30-60 seconds, until the "flour" looks like coarse cornmeal and it's all sticking to the sides of the bowl. I dump everything out onto the countertop and squeeze the "crumbs" into a ball, then I knead briefly, and then let rise. The dough is very dense, but it's got enough moisture to hold its shape and is workable. After the rise, it rolls out nicely, but requires some effort.

Offline Laura

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2004, 08:45:58 AM »
After 22 hours, my dough still didn't look like it was rising but it smelled very yeasty.  It was too crumbly to roll out so I put it back in the KitchenAid and added another tablespoon of water.  I ran the mixer just until the water was incorporated.  I put the dough in my oven and used the proofing setting on my oven for about an hour.  After that, the dough was beautiful.  I rolled it out, placed it in a 14" cutter pan and docked the dough.  My oven has the element underneath the bottom floor so I placed the pan directly on the bottom of the oven for about 10 minutes before moving it up to the bottom rack.

The pizza was very crispy and had pockets of air much like the pictures shown in this forum.  I was very pleased with my first try!   ;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2004, 09:53:22 AM »
Laura you my have just discovered a new pizza. 8)

Do you weigh your flour?
I have  found that 2/3 cup water was a little short.  3/4 cup of water worked better for me.
Did you tightly seal the container?  i tried one with a lightly sealed proof container and I was not happy with the results.

Good luck on your next pizza, it does take practice.

Randy

Offline Laura

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2004, 10:16:04 AM »
Randy,

I did weigh my flour.  It was exactly one pound.  And I put the dough in a gallon Zip-Loc so it was tightly sealed.

I will definitely add more water next time.  It's very weird though... since I live in the South, the humidity here usually means that I have to add less water than most recipes call for.  Go figure ???

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2004, 10:26:56 AM »
Most of us have discounted humidity as being a significant factor as compared to flour types.  I live in South Georgia so I know which you mean about humidity.  It was real sticky yesterday.

Unfortunately you had stumbled across in the old recipe that had not been updated.  I think Steve and DKM are soon to publish another web page with the latest thin crust recipe.

I think most people will the forum will find it interesting that you were able and successful by adding water after the 24-hour rise.  A great save.

Randy

pizzapan