Author Topic: Stuffed Pizza  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
Stuffed Pizza
« on: March 14, 2005, 12:52:59 PM »
Any tips on making a stuffed pizza?  Is the top (cap) layer of dough coated with olive oil or do you put sauce on  top.  The recipe on this site shows sauce but Sbarro's offers a spinach suffed pie that does not have sauce on top.  Perhaps this is really more of a calzone.

To make the stuffed pie I plan to use the same dough that I use for NY Style Street pies which is Lehman/Pete-zza based and high-gluten flour with a 24-48 hour cooler rise.

I want to try the following suffed pies:

1. Sausage / pepper/ onion/cheese
2. Spinach/ricotta, mushrooms/garlic

Any other thoughts?

Regards,

Crusty

Ithacles

Re: Stuffed Pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »
In Chicago-Style stuffed pizza the cap would be topped with 6 in 1 crushed tomato.  I suggest that you let the pie bake for awhile to let the top crust toast before you put any sauce on top.

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 05:31:49 PM »
Thanks....any thoughts on  combinations / ingredients for stuffing ?

Crusty

Offline Skyfish1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 10:09:43 AM »
As a Kid I worked in a couple of Chicago Pizza parlors, Including Jakes, Chicago Pizza authority (ugh!) and the best was Romance Pizza on River rd. and Euclid in Mt Prospect.

These days I wish to god that I'd paid more attention!

Romance made their mark with their stuffed pizza.  it was Heaven on a plate!

What I do remember is the time told to the customers when ordering was 45 min.

As I recall, Regular thin crust dough was used, the bottom of the pan was oiled, and the bottom crust was pressed into the pan and the edges left to hang over. I don't think that they docked it.

Next the Cheese and Sausage were place in the pan, and covered with another piece of dough.

The edges were then trimmed and rolled to make an edge.  2-3 slits were made in the top.

They then baked the pizza until the top was well browned.

Next the pizza was removed, sauced, and the Romano (i think) and oregano ( i think )was added and baked again for a few more minutes.

when the pizza came out, It rested for a couple minutes, and then it was cut in half, and sort of stood up with one side out of the pan so the grease from the cheese could drain.

Cut, Boxed, put into my MG midget and delivered to your house or apartment.

Mr & Mrs. Cirincione were great to work for, and we all got to eat the ones that didn't get picked up!

Good Luck

Offline Skyfish1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 06:31:06 PM »
Well, After that post that morning, I was motivated to give the stuffed pizza that I described above a test drive.

SUCCESS!

I never, I MEAN NEVER, get recipes down the first time, but this one really worked.

I did the recipe as described previously with the following clarifications:

1)  The cheese/sausage was kind of heavy leaving about 1/2 inch from the top of the pan when the top crust was pushed down.

2) I pushed down the top crust firmly and draped it over the sides of the pan.

3) I used the rolling pin over the pan edges to cut the dough and crimped the remaining 1/2" of dough.

4) I baked at about 475 deg until the top crust was browned.

Took it out and sauced it.

Added additional oregano,and Romano cheese and baked again until the sauce was heated through.

I was so excited, I baked another one and delivered it to our friends next door.

they were cooking dinner at the time, but they couldn't resist.  They said it was the best pizza that they have ever had. 

And that, after all is what we're after!

They never did finish cooking dinner!

Good luck!

B.