Author Topic: Sharpening Pizza Cutters?  (Read 11329 times)

Offline malvanova

Re: Sharpening Pizza Cutters?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 10:50:31 PM »
Hello Norma I never cut my pizzas on metal plates , cut it on a wood base or short handle wood paddle 1st and transfer to place this will avoid dulling of pizza cutters, I 'm more comfortable using the cressant cutter  or half moon cutter, out of oven on to a wood board add rest of toppings (I.E.arugola, prosciutto, shaved parm.,oil, whatever)  cut and slide on to plate .

Phil
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:52:26 PM by malvanova »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 11:28:16 PM »
malvanova,

I never tried using a something like a rocker cutter, but I am sure that would also work.  I am just wondering how I would be able to cut on a wood board or short wood peel.  When I cut the pizza, how would I clean the peel or wood after each pizza to keep them sanitary and not have them wet?  ::) I have a food inspector that comes around different times and they are usually looking for something that you might be doing wrong. 

Here are some interesting cutters, not sure if any of them would work either.
http://www.crookedbrains.net/2009/08/design_03.html

Thanks,

Norma
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:41:47 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline malvanova

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 11:58:50 PM »
Hi Norma is not sanitary to cut on wood surface or block? I just keep using it until I'm done and wipe with cloth towel, is that not allowed commercially? I visited union pizzeria in Evanston IL. and were doing just that cutting it on the wood peel and transfer to dish to serve, wipe wood peel with linen cloth and reuse, they had multiple wood peels to place pizzas in oven, pizzas were prepared on the peels and placed in oven,don't know if you have different sanitary laws there, they could of had the same peel to cut on, the finisher was doing one at a time, I imagine that would be the case there, it would not be smart to cut on all the peels it would rough up the surface for a smooth slide off  :-\

Phil
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:00:56 AM by malvanova »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »
Phil,

I am not sure about if that would be allowed in our state of Pa.  The Department of Agriculture does inspections here and I have taken the food safe course, but I canít answer that question.  I know I am allowed to put the dough and flour on the peel and use it over the day. The dough isnít considered hazardous. When cutting a pizza on a board I would think if the cheese or sauce would get on the board or peel there is a time limit for cleaning it off.  That is the way with cleaning utensils like pizza cutters or cleaning out the container that holds the sauce. The cheese and sauce are considered hazardous.  My stand is small at market and we usually cut the pizzas on top of the deli case on a pizza pan. Where I open my dough there has to be a plexiglass or glass front, which is called a sneeze guard.  I donít know what customers would think if the board or pizza peel wasnít cleaned each time a pizza was cut.  I would just be worried about sauce or cheese left on the board or peel.  Gives me something to think about.  Since my market stand is only 8'x13' there isnít a lot of room to do things the way a bigger pizza business does.

Thanks for telling me how the pizza shop you visited did their pizzas,

Norma

this is an edit to what I just posted.  All our wiping clothes have to be stored in a sanitizer solution and that solution has to be able to be measured with test strips.  The test strips must be on the premises at all times.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:42:21 AM by norma427 »

Offline malvanova

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 12:39:28 AM »
 Norma

he did wipe after tranfering to dish for the next cut, that I did notice, good cracker thin pizza not chewy on the cornicione like the vera Napolitana but it was good taste, large WFO interesting build not napolitana style oven, too much smoke coming out the front arch, upon initial firing I was told by a worker there; not at all when oven is hot.

Phil

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »
Hey Norma
dms's post got me thinking.
I just tapped the edge on my pizza cutter with a butterknife and it left a visible dent, then tried it on a shaving sharp real blade which was left unmarked.  Then I passed just the dented spot on the cutter thru my device about a dozens times.  The dent is still there but smaller, the area I passed thru the device is clearly visible on the extreme edge, and just that area is sharp enough to cut paper and my finger when I felt it for the dent!  I know better but never guessed it would be that sharp.
So if your cutters are as soft as mine any of these devices should work fine, just be careful!
Hog

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:30 PM »
PizzaHog,

Thanks for doing that experiment to find out how easily a pizza cutter can get dulled.  Sorry you had to cut your finger while doing the experiment.  Will have to try out your experiment with my pizza cutters to see if the same thing happens..probably will find the same results.

Thanks for letting me know how these devices will work in sharpening pizza cutters,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »
Norma,

It may be cheaper to just replace your pizza cutters as they get dull or just resharpen them, but I wanted to mention that there are special pizza cutting boards that are used by some pizza operators on which to cut their pizzas before they box or serve them. They are usually made of a wood fiber laminate or some other equivalent material that is resistant to food absorption and cuts and stains. They are also NSF rated. Maybe they would be less hard on your pizza cutters. Examples of the cutting boards can be seen at http://www.nminc.com/scan/fi=products.txt/sf=subcat/se=pboard/sf=category/se=portion/va=catname=pboard/sp=hitlist.html. There are also pizza serving boards, which are also shown at the abovereferenced website, that many operators use on which to cut their pizzas (see, for example, the review at http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_126662). Those boards have handles that make them easier to serve pizzas or to slide a pizza into a box. I suspect that pizza operators who use cutting boards are more likely to use rocker type cutters.

Pizza cutting boards such as mentioned above tend to be quite expensive--more than for regular wood peels. So, some price shopping might be a productive pursuit if cutting boards are of interest to you.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
Peter,

I have seen these boards, but never knew they were specifically used for cutting boards for pizza.  It is good to be able to learn new things that might make my life easier.  Also, great to know they are NSF rated, so no problems with the inspector.   ;D

I believe it would be worth the investment to try one of these. 

Thanks for your wealth of information on everything related to pizzas,

Norma

Offline malvanova

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »
NORMA  that is most likely what they were using at Union pizzeria, all the man did was wipe with a white kitchen cloth and do the next pizza it was square shape with a short handle, just like the one showing in the tread Pete posted, dull pizza cutter problem solved ;D thanks Pete,for clearifying my observation :-D

Phil

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 06:11:18 AM »
NORMA  that is most likely what they were using at Union pizzeria, all the man did was wipe with a white kitchen cloth and do the next pizza it was square shape with a short handle, just like the one showing in the tread Pete posted, dull pizza cutter problem solved ;D thanks Pete,for clearifying my observation :-D

Phil

Phil,

You were exactly right and knew what you were talking about, when you explained how they cut their pizzas at Union pizzeria.   ;D  I just didn't know how regulations are from state to state in a food business.   ::)

Thanks so much for posting your observations and suggestions,

Norma

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 11:09:53 PM »
Hi Norma

Regarding the pizza cutter problem, I have an alternative solution for you. Bed Bath and Beyond used to sell and still may sell a round cutting board made of a plastic poly material (should keep your inspector happy) with DEEP grooves so you can cut the pizza into half, quarter or eighths.  The grooves are so deep you would have a hard time not cutting a pizza with the dullest blade.  This board also allows you to cut equal size portions.  It measures 15 inches in diameter and is about 3/8 inches in thickness.  Tomato sauce will stain it but it can
be cleaned with bleach.  The heat of a dishwasher will warp it so hand wash.  My pizza cutter has a replaceable blade but since using this board, I have not had to replace it.

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 11:22:28 PM »
Hi Norma

Regarding the pizza cutter problem, I have an alternative solution for you. Bed Bath and Beyond used to sell and still may sell a round cutting board made of a plastic poly material (should keep your inspector happy) with DEEP grooves so you can cut the pizza into half, quarter or eighths.  The grooves are so deep you would have a hard time not cutting a pizza with the dullest blade.  This board also allows you to cut equal size portions.  It measures 15 inches in diameter and is about 3/8 inches in thickness.  Tomato sauce will stain it but it can
be cleaned with bleach.  The heat of a dishwasher will warp it so hand wash.  My pizza cutter has a replaceable blade but since using this board, I have not had to replace it.

Bob

Bob,

I will have to look into what you are talking about at Bed Bath and Beyond.  That really sounds like a great idea, too.  I just wonder if they made this kind of board that you can slice in 6 slices.  I make a 16" pizza at market and slice it into 6 slices.  It also would be great if I could get equal slices.

Thanks for telling me about your ideas,  :)

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »
I make a 16" pizza at market and slice it into 6 slices.  It also would be great if I could get equal slices.

Norma,

Then, this is what you need: http://www.pizzatools.com/The_Equalizer/subgrouping.htm?cat=30889&sort=sku&results=99  ;D.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
Norma,

Then, this is what you need: http://www.pizzatools.com/The_Equalizer/subgrouping.htm?cat=30889&sort=sku&results=99  ;D.

Peter

Peter,

That really looks like a nifty tool, but look at the price...LOL  I think I will just use a pizza cutter.

Thanks for the idea,

Norma

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 03:56:14 PM »
Norma,

What I have done is to disassemble the pizza cutter and chuck it up on a shouldered bolt in my drill press.  I can then bring in a stone to dress the edge, then flip it over and repeat.

Alternatively, there was an Amish gentleman that always did an amazing sharpening job on my saws, but I'm not sure if he would sharpen pizza cutters.  <grin>  I found him while riding my motorcycle around northeast of town by their farms and asking around for someone who could sharpen a saw for me.  Unfortunately, I couldn't possibly give you directions; first, I don't remember, but more importantly, the street signs out that way always seem to disappear.

Jack
ps-I cut in an aluminum pizza pan also.

Offline dms

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »
Norma,

What I have done is to disassemble the pizza cutter and chuck it up on a shouldered bolt in my drill press.  I can then bring in a stone to dress the edge, then flip it over and repeat.

That's how it's done when they're made.  (Well, I expect they're using an automatic lathe, with a tool post grinder.  But close enough.)  It's how a sharpen olfa rotary cutter blades, as well.  Takes longer to put one in the mandrel than it odes to sharpen one. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »
Jack,

Thanks for your suggestions.  :)  I am at best an amateur when using tools.  I donít even own a drill press.  Seems like all you guys are handy with tools.   Most Amish men know a lot about doing things by hand.  They are mostly a do it yourself type of people.  Good to hear you also need to sharpen you blades. At least it isnít just me having the problems with pizza cutters.  ::)

Norma

dms,

You are a continuing source of knowledge.  :)  It seems like the pizza cutter problems comes down to removing the burrs.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:29 PM »
I would suggest you use a chinese chef knife to cut pizza...it does not pick up stuff along the way like a pizza roller cutter will...an it allows you to serve a piece easily by picking it up with the flat side...Dexter makes a stainless model, do not get the carbon steel one--it will rust, for about $40...Much better way to cut up a pizza...RJ
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »
RJ,

Do you mean a pizza cutter knife like this one?  I never used any kind of knife to cut pizza before, but this looks interesting.

http://www.dexter1818.com/Item_Details_1.asp?id=408&line=SS

Thanks,

Norma

pizzapan