Author Topic: Sharpening Pizza Cutters?  (Read 13334 times)

Offline randyjohnsonhve

Re: Sharpening Pizza Cutters?
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »
Norma...that is not the dexter knife...it is a Chinese chef's knife, 08140 S5197W, stainless steel...Great knife for pizza and it will become your favorite knife...I have a complete set of 4 star Hencklels and use this knife the most...all for about $40-$45...Try it, you'll love it
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »
randyjohnsonhve,

Is the Chinese Chefís knife the second one down in this link?

http://www.twinsupply.com/dextercutlery/products.asp?cat=40

Thanks for helping,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 01:41:52 PM »
Norma...It is the 3rd one down on the list...the larger blade...and again, make sure it is stainless, not carbon steel...Have a Super Day, RJ
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
Norma...It is the 3rd one down on the list...the larger blade...and again, make sure it is stainless, not carbon steel...Have a Super Day, RJ

randyjohnsonhve,

Thanks for telling me which knife you use.  I will look for the stainless. 

Have a great day too,

Norma

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
That's how it's done when they're made.  (Well, I expect they're using an automatic lathe, with a tool post grinder.  But close enough.)  It's how a sharpen olfa rotary cutter blades, as well.  Takes longer to put one in the mandrel than it odes to sharpen one. 

I don't see any other (easy) way to sharpen a round knife, but it's good to know this Enginerd can still figure something out once in a while.  <grin>

Jack

Offline petef

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »
Hey this is dangerous thread, I'm the second one to draw blood !  Hahaha :)

Seriously, I took my round dull pizza cutter over to my cheap electric can opener which has knife sharpener on the back side. I got the pizza cutter wheel spinning in that sharpener and ground both sides individually. Then I tested the blade by trying to slice a paper towel on my cutting board. It was not sharp enough to cut the paper towel..

Next I brought out my medium and fine knife sharpening stones and wet them down. I sharpened the pizza cutter by drawing it across the stone with one hand while applying downward pressure and spinning the wheel about 1/8th turn with the middle finger of my other hand. I repeated this motion maybe 20 times to ensure I got all the edges evenly. First the medium stone and then the fine stone. I did this on both sides of the blade. Now it will cut & cleanly slice the paper towel on the wooden cutting board, but I have to press very hard.

To me, it seemed sharper than before but not extremely sharp. This was my mistake. I was using this sharpened pizza cutter today and I accidentally pressed it into the keel if my hand and gave myself a nice cut. It cut the pizza better than ever, but I'm thinking it's not meant to be so sharp due to the danger of the open round blade and it probably does not really need to be all that sharp to cut pizza.

Bottom line. if you sharpen your pizza cutter be extra careful not to cut yourself!

---pete---

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
Hey this is dangerous thread, I'm the second one to draw blood !  Hahaha :)

Seriously, I took my round dull pizza cutter over to my cheap electric can opener which has knife sharpener on the back side. I got the pizza cutter wheel spinning in that sharpener and ground both sides individually. Then I tested the blade by trying to slice a paper towel on my cutting board. It was not sharp enough to cut the paper towel..

Next I brought out my medium and fine knife sharpening stones and wet them down. I sharpened the pizza cutter by drawing it across the stone with one hand while applying downward pressure and spinning the wheel about 1/8th turn with the middle finger of my other hand. I repeated this motion maybe 20 times to ensure I got all the edges evenly. First the medium stone and then the fine stone. I did this on both sides of the blade. Now it will cut & cleanly slice the paper towel on the wooden cutting board, but I have to press very hard.

To me, it seemed sharper than before but not extremely sharp. This was my mistake. I was using this sharpened pizza cutter today and I accidentally pressed it into the keel if my hand and gave myself a nice cut. It cut the pizza better than ever, but I'm thinking it's not meant to be so sharp due to the danger of the open round blade and it probably does not really need to be all that sharp to cut pizza.

Bottom line. if you sharpen your pizza cutter be extra careful not to cut yourself!

---pete---

pete,

I am also sorry for you cutting you finger to try and see the best way to sharpen pizza cutters.  Maybe some day people will appreciate what you went though, when they know what to do when their pizza cutters are dull.   ;D

When I in my shed today, trying to fix my lawn mower, I came across a box I didn't go though for a long while.  I found these old sharpening tools and will have to try them out.  Don't really think they will work though.

Thanks for your help,

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
Thanks to everyone that posted on this thread.   :)  I have been trying different ideas that you all have contributed. I think my pizza cutters will be in better shape now.  I did purchase a 18" pizza board and am going to purchase a rocker blade tomorrow and try them both out next week.  I am anxious to see how these work out.

Thanks,

Norma
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:51:22 AM by Steve »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
Norma,

From the video that Bill/SFNM recently posted on YouTube at , it appears that he is using a pizza board like yours and shapes his skins on it. I don't know if he cuts his pizzas on it though, which would require that you brush off any loose flour.

Where did you purchase your new pizza board?

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »
Peter,

I purchased the pizza board from www.nminc.com National Marketing, Inc.  It is a Richlite Round Serving Board with a 5" handle. 

I didnít really look at the board Bill was using.  I was just watching how he handled his dough.  I wonder if his board is the same as mine.  That was a great video clip.   :)

I used my marble slab for opening the dough and havenít tried opening dough on a board or a peel.

Norma

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2010, 03:25:57 PM »

Randy,

I also have a chinese Chef Knife, which I love, but it's carbon steel.  Why the push for stainless?

Jack

Offline michelevit

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
I've got a crazy idea.
What about replacing the junky stainless wheel with a blade from this....

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/Products/SewingClothCutting/XD-100_4

Its crazy, but I might give it a shot for humors sake. I've used these power fabric cutters before and they sing through
an inch of fabric.

You can purchase just the replacement blade here...
http://www.reliablecorporation.com/Octagonal-Cutting-Blade

The blade is 4 inch and so is the blade on my pizza cutter. I'll let everyone know.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
I've got a crazy idea.
What about replacing the junky stainless wheel with a blade from this....

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/Products/SewingClothCutting/XD-100_4

Its crazy, but I might give it a shot for humors sake. I've used these power fabric cutters before and they sing through
an inch of fabric.

You can purchase just the replacement blade here...
http://www.reliablecorporation.com/Octagonal-Cutting-Blade

The blade is 4 inch and so is the blade on my pizza cutter. I'll let everyone know.

michelevit,

Your idea doesnít sound crazy to me.  Let us all know how the replacement blade works out on your pizza cutter.  You never know until you try something if it will work.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 11:05:29 PM »
A fine, flat metal file will do the job just fine. Lay cutter flat hanging over the edge of a counter with the cutter on a towel for stability. Holding hand use finger to still the wheel and use file to whip the blade into shape. Do a little on both side till nice and sharp.  If you have an accusharp finish with that. The day after I did mine I reached in the drawer for it and then drove myself to the local ER for 4 stitches!!!
Jon :-D
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 04:48:59 AM »
A fine, flat metal file will do the job just fine. Lay cutter flat hanging over the edge of a counter with the cutter on a towel for stability. Holding hand use finger to still the wheel and use file to whip the blade into shape. Do a little on both side till nice and sharp.  If you have an accusharp finish with that. The day after I did mine I reached in the drawer for it and then drove myself to the local ER for 4 stitches!!!
Jon :-D

i did the same thing when i worked at papa johns and half of the employees cut a double X through all the boxes
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 06:24:19 AM »
I also now have a diamond tip file (cheap) I use to sharpen pizza cutters and my knives.  It does take a little work, but it does sharpen them.

Norma

pizzapan