Author Topic: 750-850F in home oven WITHOUT cutting lock  (Read 11105 times)

Offline davidcwilliams

Re: 750-850F in home oven WITHOUT cutting lock
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »
Hi, not sure if this thread has been abandoned or simply moved.  I tried Chau's method with an electric broiler.  In order to get closer to the 2.5" mark I rested my pizza stone on top of my cast iron skillet.  I then tried to adjust its position and... - C R A C K - ! ! !

My question is, what do I ask for at Home Depot?  Is there something I can buy that is thicker and larger (and less likely to crack) than just another pizza stone?

Thanks.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 07:36:33 AM »
Hi, not sure if this thread has been abandoned or simply moved.  I tried Chau's method with an electric broiler.  In order to get closer to the 2.5" mark I rested my pizza stone on top of my cast iron skillet.  I then tried to adjust its position and... - C R A C K - ! ! !

My question is, what do I ask for at Home Depot?  Is there something I can buy that is thicker and larger (and less likely to crack) than just another pizza stone?

Thanks.

DW - sorry to hear about your pizza stone.  Unfortunately that is the risk we take when baking at high temps using the broiler technique.   I have tried many different types of natural stones from HD/Lowes and they all crack in under 10 bakes.  The stone you see in the pics above is a PRIMO stone and can handle the high temps.  It does cost more than a typical $10 stone from bed bath and beyond though.

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile, but instead in a similar thread "almost-wfo-politans".  Just do a search if you are interested.

Chau

Offline davidcwilliams

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 08:26:10 AM »
Thanks Chau, I figured you guys had relocated.  =)