Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 3356 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
San Francisco
« on: March 17, 2010, 02:09:14 AM »
I'm going to San Francisco with my wife on May 3rd-6th for a much needed vacation. Does anyone have a restaurant suggestion? We will probably hit Emilia's Pizzeria and possibly Flour and Water or Pizzeria Delfina, unless told otherwise. Anyone know the best burger in San Fran? Anyone live in San Francisco and want to get together for a drink? Terry

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:26:25 AM »
If your getting up to Napa, Oenotri just opened and is getting great reviews locally. Pronounced Oh No Tree.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »
Terry,  not a high end place or anything,  but they do what they do well.  Check out Burgermiester,  numerous "best of" awards and an emphasis on local meats,  natural food and a green attitude.  http://www.burgermeistersf.com/locations.php  the north beach location.  dont't forget to check out Boudin bakery.  ANy bread/pizza guy will love looking around there. -marc

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
Terry,

I was just giving some tourist tips to a friend of mine last night who is going to San Fran in May. :-D

The Fisherman's Wharf area is very touristy but also has a fair amount to offer in the way of restaurants that are decent-to-good and don't cost an arm-and-leg.  You can just walk up and down there and choose what looks best.  If you like seafood and Italian cuisine, you'll be in good shape.  As Marc mentioned, Boudin Bakery is worth stopping just to watch the bread being made, but also a good spot for lunch.

Head over to the North Beach area around Washington Square and you'll find some more trendy, higher priced places for lunch, but not overly expensive.  Tony's Pizza Napoletana is there.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 10:16:35 PM »
Terry ... I just was out there hitting the pizza places and went to tony gemignani's school ...you REALLY should go to his restaurant ... I think it's called Tony's Pizza Napoletana. Probably one of the best in the country. Try the margherita and you really should try they sicilian ...really top notch.
FB/SGP

ps .I also tried A16 ... good but not perfect as Tony's was.
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
Terry,

I live here in Sausalito and if you like, we can get together for a couple of beers/drinks or maybe hit a pizza place, either in the City or over the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County.

As far as burgers go, I like Burgermeister but I'm not too crazy about them. Standard fare, imho. The best burgers I had so far were at a little lunch place called Bayside Cafe in Sausalito. Outstanding stuff!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:21:25 PM »
The best indian food I have ever had in my life is in san fran, and its DIRT CHEAP.   I have spent a lot of time in London (where it supposed to be the best other than india) but Shalimar is the place for me!  If you go make sure you try the chicken kofta.   The spinach dishes are pretty serious too (saag), along with anything out of the tandor.  http://www.shalimarsf.com/  This indian food is so good I have a hard time going anywhere else while I am visiting, but a trip to the french laundry wouldn't go so bad either.   The fine dining scene in SF is pretty out of this world.  I find myself gravitating to asian food and bread when I visit, rather than pizza. Surprisingly the Mexican food, while way better than east coast fare, is a bit of a let down after spending lots of time in Los Angeles.   

As far as pizzerias go I thought pizzaiolo was better than A16, but overall the city is quite underwhelming when compared to NYC.   I hear Delfina is the best from some trusted sources, and it might be interesting to you terry, because its not super high temperature pizza.  Its more in the coal oven heat realm (although they are using a modded Marsal to reach those temps).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:23:17 PM by scott r »

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:32:59 AM »
Terry,

I live here in Sausalito and if you like, we can get together for a couple of beers/drinks or maybe hit a pizza place, either in the City or over the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County.

As far as burgers go, I like Burgermeister but I'm not too crazy about them. Standard fare, imho. The best burgers I had so far were at a little lunch place called Bayside Cafe in Sausalito. Outstanding stuff!

Sure, I'll bring you down some of my pepperoni and sopressata. I wanted to hit Emilia's Pizzeria, but it's a little far from our hotel. I was also thinking of Gialina and Pizzeria Delfina. I heard of a place called Joe's that is supposed to have good burgers. Fresh ground chuck. Have you heard of it?

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:24 AM »
The best indian food I have ever had in my life is in san fran, and its DIRT CHEAP.   I have spent a lot of time in London (where it supposed to be the best other than india) but Shalimar is the place for me!  If you go make sure you try the chicken kofta.   The spinach dishes are pretty serious too (saag), along with anything out of the tandor.  http://www.shalimarsf.com/  This indian food is so good I have a hard time going anywhere else while I am visiting, but a trip to the french laundry wouldn't go so bad either.   The fine dining scene in SF is pretty out of this world.  I find myself gravitating to asian food and bread when I visit, rather than pizza. Surprisingly the Mexican food, while way better than east coast fare, is a bit of a let down after spending lots of time in Los Angeles.   

As far as pizzerias go I thought pizzaiolo was better than A16, but overall the city is quite underwhelming when compared to NYC.   I hear Delfina is the best from some trusted sources, and it might be interesting to you terry, because its not super high temperature pizza.  Its more in the coal oven heat realm (although they are using a modded Marsal to reach those temps).
I probably won't hit any asian restaurants when we're there because it's pretty hard to beat Vancouver for that but I'll bet the Mexican, although maybe not as good as LA is still better than Vancouver. It's also hard to get a great burger in Vancouver, so that's a priority. Pizza is not a must but I might check something out for curiosity's sake. A good hot dog would be another good thing to find. Vancouver is a hot dog wasteland.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »
Sure, I'll bring you down some of my pepperoni and sopressata. I wanted to hit Emilia's Pizzeria, but it's a little far from our hotel. I was also thinking of Gialina and Pizzeria Delfina. I heard of a place called Joe's that is supposed to have good burgers. Fresh ground chuck. Have you heard of it?

Terry,

Thanks for the offer!

Emilia's is a bit far over in the East Bay. Delfina is a good choice if you don't mind long wait times, especially at the one in the Mission.

I'm sure when you mention Joe's you mean Joe's Cable Car Restaurant which is famous for it's burgers. They were also featured on Diners, Drive ins & Dives not too long ago.

http://www.joescablecarrestaurant.com/
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline kiya

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:22:45 PM »
I've been studying the hamburger for ten years now... i personally think the best burger (hands down) in San Francisco is to be found at Spruce.
Google "Spruce SF" for info.

Second place goes to Mission Burger, also google "Mission Burger SF".
I can't post links because i just signed up for this forum.

Oddly enough Spruce is a fine dining restaurant and MB is inside a supermarket.
You cannot find a better burger than these two places in all of the Bay Area. They nail the bread, meat, and toppings.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
Might Wanna Search this site. :)

http://aht.seriouseats.com/
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline doughhouse

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »
Hello:

I have eaten a lot of burgers the past seven years in the city. Spruce has the best burger in San Francisco. They only serve it in the bar.

-Kenny

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »
Terry,

Thanks for the offer!

Emilia's is a bit far over in the East Bay. Delfina is a good choice if you don't mind long wait times, especially at the one in the Mission.

I'm sure when you mention Joe's you mean Joe's Cable Car Restaurant which is famous for it's burgers. They were also featured on Diners, Drive ins & Dives not too long ago.

http://www.joescablecarrestaurant.com/
I just checked out the menu Joe's website. $12.75 seems a bit pricey for a burger with no side. And $4.25 for french fries! $6.25 for onion rings? Anyway, I'm going to bring you down a sample of all of my charcuterie. I just made batches of pepperoni, sopressata, calabrese salami, pancetta, capicola and chorizo which should all be ready by the time we come down to San Francisco.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:41 PM »
I just checked out the menu Joe's website. $12.75 seems a bit pricey for a burger with no side. And $4.25 for french fries! $6.25 for onion rings? Anyway, I'm going to bring you down a sample of all of my charcuterie. I just made batches of pepperoni, sopressata, calabrese salami, pancetta, capicola and chorizo which should all be ready by the time we come down to San Francisco.

Terry,

Yeah, the burgers are a bit pricey but good.

Here's something you might want to take a look at:

http://sanfranciscoburgerblog.tumblr.com/

Gott's in or near the Ferry Building apparently has some great ones, too. Haven't been there yet but might be worth a try. Just scroll down and look at the pics! 

If you bring down samples, the beers are on me.   ;D
Mike

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 04:21:48 AM »
Terry,

Yeah, the burgers are a bit pricey but good.

Here's something you might want to take a look at:

http://sanfranciscoburgerblog.tumblr.com/

Gott's in or near the Ferry Building apparently has some great ones, too. Haven't been there yet but might be worth a try. Just scroll down and look at the pics! 

If you bring down samples, the beers are on me.   ;D
Sounds good! Here's a sample of my latest batches of chorizo and sopressata. The chorizo is on top in the photo(2 chorizo and 2 sopressata). By the time we go my Calabrese salami should be ready. I'll try and bring some of my capicola and pancetta as well. I'm considering bringing you a pizza as well if I have enough room in my bag.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:34:03 AM by tdeane »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »
Sounds good! Here's a sample of my latest batches of chorizo and sopressata. The chorizo is on top in the photo(2 chorizo and 2 sopressata). By the time we go my Calabrese salami should be ready. I'll try and bring some of my capicola and pancetta as well. I'm considering bringing you a pizza as well if I have enough room in my bag.

Terry,

Is it Christmas already???  ;D

I really appreciate the offers, bro. I'm just wondering if the customs will let you in with all the meat and food items. That could turn out to be a problem.
Mike

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »
Come on folks! You're going to San Francisco to eat a burger?
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 12:33:45 AM »
Terry,

Is it Christmas already???  ;D

I really appreciate the offers, bro. I'm just wondering if the customs will let you in with all the meat and food items. That could turn out to be a problem.
I'm flying out of Seattle so i don't have to go through airport customs.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 12:35:23 AM »
Come on folks! You're going to San Francisco to eat a burger?
What, is that not allowed?

pizzapan