Author Topic: Best Places people on this forum have found to buy Seeds or Perennials?  (Read 25298 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Best Places people on this forum have found to buy Seeds or Perennials?
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2010, 05:24:55 PM »
oregano..last of pictures

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2010, 06:24:23 PM »
Norma,
Many gardeners cut of the tops of tomato plants this time of year.  The idea is to prevent the plant from producing more flowers and green fruit that will not ripen.  That takes a lot of plant energy that gets redirected into ripening the existing fruit.  I will probably lop off the tops next week.  We can get good growing weather here into October.

I tasted the oregano and can't say it was that good.  Maybe when it is dried.
Cranky

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2010, 08:22:58 PM »
cranky,

I didnít know it is a good time of the year to cut off the tops of the tomato plants.  I can understand why that is a good idea.  I will take your advise and cut them off next week.  Our weather here has been really dry, without much rain and I donít think in the next week that there is any forecast for rain. It is always drag the hose out.  In our area the growing weather is usually good until sometime in October, too.  Since our spring started earlier this year, they have began harvesting field corn already.  That is really early for our area.  I watched an Amish farmer last week, starting to harvest a whole field of corn, by cutting the stalks by hand and loading it on a big wagon, drawn by a team of draft horses. They practice such humility and Gelassenheit.  You never see their children misbehave. They are taught strict obedience from an early age.  I admire them for all the hard work they do by hand.

It makes me wonder about your oregano.  I donít think it will taste any better when it is dried, but donít know.  The last two pictures I posted is the best tasting oregano I have found. Also in the other picture in the first picture of the oregano, the Hot & Spicy is in the right front.  That is also really good tasting oregano.  All those three can give a bite to the tongue when just eaten plain. In sauces or sauteed, it still tastes great.  I wonít have a lot to dry for the winter, because I keep cutting it off.  :-D

Thanks for your advise for the tomato plants.  :)  You are always helping me with my gardening.  I have learned a lot from you this year.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2010, 09:56:31 AM »
I did a little experiment on some fresh basil bought in from my garden, to make some pizza last week.  I had leftover basil, so I just put the basil in a glass by the window.  I saw by this week the basil is forming roots.  I am going to put it into potting soil and see if it will grow outside. I might cut some more basil off and see if it will also form roots and then plant it inside my place to see which basil does better. 

Picture of basil, which formed roots in about one week.

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
I did a little experiment on some fresh basil bought in from my garden, to make some pizza last week.  I had leftover basil, so I just put the basil in a glass by the window.  I saw by this week the basil is forming roots.   Norma

I learn a lot about gardening from you.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »
I learn a lot about gardening from you.

cranky,

Thanks for what you said, but this is just an experiment.  ::) I did try to grow basil inside last winter and although the basil grew, it sure didn't get big like the basil outside.  I need to find some cheap way of growing basil inside for the winter. I have to look into what is the easiest way.

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
cranky,

Thanks for what you said, but this is just an experiment.  ::) I did try to grow basil inside last winter and although the basil grew, it sure didn't get big like the basil outside.  I need to find some cheap way of growing basil inside for the winter. I have to look into what is the easiest way.

Norma

What about an insulated cold frame. 
I am not a fan off fresh oregano.  Maybe what I grew would improve with dying.  THere is not enough of it yet to get very much dried though.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »
What about an insulated cold frame. 
I am not a fan off fresh oregano.  Maybe what I grew would improve with dying.  THere is not enough of it yet to get very much dried though.

cranky,

What is a insulated cold frame?  I hope your oregano does improve with dying. 

Norma

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
Norma, I'm excited to see if I can get the same results from my basil. I just cut two clippings and dropped them into a small mason jar filled with water. We'll see. :)

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Norma, I'm excited to see if I can get the same results from my basil. I just cut two clippings and dropped them into a small mason jar filled with water. We'll see. :)

Ronzo,

Hope you get the same results, too.  :) I just put the basil in potting soil and put it outside today.  I will see if it does okay.  I put it in the shade until I see if it takes hold.  I cut another piece of basil off today and also put it into water.  Will see if that also gets roots.

Good luck,

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
cranky,

What is a insulated cold frame?  I hope your oregano does improve with dying. 

Norma

Many people grow winter gardens in cold frames.  In your location it gets very cold.  A cold frame is essentially a box that has a piece of glass or a window on the top.  It is sometimes angled so the glass tilts toward the south to let winter sun in better.  The box is generally made of wood, but it could be made of cement blocks, or just about anything.  Some people use hale bales or straw and if you can get them free that works.  They are only good for a season, but they realyy insulate well.  Set them so they enclose an area the size of old window or glass you might have around or find recycled.  Put the glass on top.  Sheet plastic works also.  You might try covering the bales with plastic to keep the rain and wet out and retain the insulation value.  If the box is made of wood people in cold zones might add some rigid foam board on the inside to retain more heat.  They also put in a black barrel of water to act as a heat sink.  The sun heats it up in the day and the heat comes off at night keeping the encloser warm.  You could use an old tire tube full of water and plant in the ring.  You can grow some things year round even where you live.  I imagine, lettuce, carrots, spinach, arugula, koles, kale, but basil is a warm weather plant, so I don't know.   Also you can get a product called row guard, or harvest guard to put on the plants.  This with a plastic cover over pvc hoops will gain two zones for you.  But when you get down to zero and it is cloudy and does not get over freezing in the day, I doubt basil will make it.  Things don't really grow a lot in these devices, but they are protected and you can have fresh salads and several vegies all winter.  Why don't you go on youtube and search for "winter gardens" or "green house" or "hoop house".   

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2010, 12:57:24 AM »
Ronzo,

Hope you get the same results, too.  :) I just put the basil in potting soil and put it outside today.  I will see if it does okay.  I put it in the shade until I see if it takes hold.  I cut another piece of basil off today and also put it into water.  Will see if that also gets roots.

Good luck,

Norma

For months, I've had two pots of basil on my backporch. They've been light green in color and just not overly-fragrant. As an experiment, I planted one in place of a beefsteak tomato plant in the garden that I pulled up for lack of fruit. It's already darkened in color and gotten a boatload of new leaves. From now on, I start them in pots and then plant them when they're established.

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2010, 06:57:04 AM »
cranky,

Thanks for explaining what a cold frame is and how to go about building one.  I will look on youtube for winter gardens, green house and hoop house.  With the snow we had in area last winter, I will really have to think where to put a cold frame.  Some weeks it took me many days until I could get to some spots in my yard.  The snow was piled that high, that it took a lot of digging and we do get drifts sometimes when it snows. My possum friend was back last night on my back deck.  :-D  I tried to get a picture of him, but the lighting wasnít good enough for my camera.

Your ideas are interesting,

Norma

Ron,

I had the same problems with the basil that I tried to grow last winter inside. Although the basil did grow, the taste wasnít the same as outside basil and the leaves were also lighter green. I also am doing another experiment outside with basil.  I have one plant that I had inside last winter in a pot and although that basil outside is growing better than when it was inside, it is nothing like the basil plants that are in the ground.  I have basil planted in between different perennial flowers and they are doing well.  From what I have gathered about gardening, plants do better when they are placed in the ground.  I have many house plants and they do well in many locations inside.  If I could only get basil and oregano to do that well.  I guess I have a lot to learn about them.

Best of luck with your gardening.

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »

Best of luck with your gardening.

Norma

Maybe if you build a cold frame it needs to have a steep slant to the glass.  The winter sun is very low in the sky.  It comes into a window all day from a low angle.  You don't need to have a glass roof.  If you glass were slanted the snow would slide off.

I visited a local store that sells hydroponic supplies.  They had basil growing under lights in a sealed room for a display.  I suspect the owners and customers are really interested in growing pot, because no one could afford this set up for a little lettuce or basil.  Nevertheless the basil was more than two feet tall.  The plants were growing in four inch pots with no space between.  It was like looking at a hedge of basil.  It was dark green and I tasted a leaf which was very good.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »
cranky,

I did look at cold frames on the web and saw how some of them were built.  I will have to think over your ideas.  I have the wood at home and would just need to find some kind of window frame.  They do have them at many garage sales near me.  The way the snow drifts in my area, you can never tell where it is going to drift.  Some of our snow drifts this year were over 4'.  It all depends on what direction the wind is coming from.  I saw some places on the web that paint the inside of the cold frame black to keep in the heat. 

I also had thought about trying out hydroponic gardening, but that can become expensive, also.  As for growing pot, my brother lives in Colorado and many people out there do grow medicinal pot legally and make great money doing it.  He told me about the elaborate hydroponic set-ups they have created for growing medicinal pot.

Thanks again for your help,

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2010, 11:12:34 AM »
  He told me about the elaborate hydroponic set-ups they have created for growing medicinal pot.

Thanks again for your help,

Norma

THink I'll stick with tomatoes and basil.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:12 AM »
THink I'll stick with tomatoes and basil.

cranky,

LOL, so will I.  :-D  I just wanted to let you know that is a big business growing that stuff for medicinal purposes and people do make good money doing it.  My brother doesn't do that, but knows people that do.  He has seen how the people that do grow that stuff have their places set-up.

Back on the topic of basil and tomatoes.  ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
Another one of those buggers is eating at the same tomato plant  >:(  This time it is a little Tomato Horn Worm.  I had thought there was another one, because I had been seeing a few leaves eaten off the tomato plant, but I couldnít find the worm.  Tonight I found the worm.  It is little and I put it into a container.  I will watch and see if it transforms into a moth. I also think there is another Tomato Hornworm on one of my San Marzano tomato plants. There are also a few leaves eaten off the same way.  I will keep watching it. The black dirt on the leaf is the Tomato Hornworms body elimination.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
Tonight I found the worm.  It is little and I put it into a container.  I will watch and see if it transforms into a moth.

Don't forget to feed him.

What are you going to do with him if he makes it?

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »
Don't forget to feed him.

What are you going to do with him if he makes it?

Craig

Craig,

What do I feed him, besides tomato leaves?  If he makes it, I am going to set him free.

Here is a picture of him when I came home tonight.  He sure makes a lot of body elimination for such a little fellow.   :o

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2010, 12:27:04 AM »
Craig,

What do I feed him, besides tomato leaves?  If he makes it, I am going to set him free.

Here is a picture of him when I came home tonight.  He sure makes a lot of body elimination for such a little fellow.   :o

Norma

Just tomato leaves.

If you turn him free, he is going to make more worms to eat your tomatos...

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2010, 07:51:01 AM »
Craig,

Thanks for telling me to feed the Tomato Hornworm just tomato leaves.  :) This is a picture of how he is doing this morning.  He almost ate the whole leaf of the tomato overnight.  He sure is one hungry bugger.  I enjoy watching how insects go though their life cycles.  If he eventually makes it to be a Hawkmoth, I will be sure to take near a woods, far enough away from me, so hopefully he doesnít know where to find my tomato plants again.  The little tomato hornworm sure makes his cage dirty.  I need to clean it out today.  :(

http://organicgardensite.com/bugs-harmful/tomato-horn-worms/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »
I am going to follow the growth of this little Tomato Hornworm.  He really seems to eat a lot of tomato leaves.  Since this morning he has eaten two whole big tomato leaves, right down to the stem.  His body elimination is amazing also.  :o  Since I cleaned his cage out this morning he has eliminated about 25 times. 

Picture later this morning and late this afternoon of the little Tomato Hornworm

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:48 PM »
I went outside almost when it was dark, to water my tomato plants.  What I found on my one tomato plant that had the two Hornworms on before, surprised me.  I think I was about ready to have an invasion of Tomato Hornworms.   :o  I had to look carefully, but found two more really little Tomato Hornworms and it looks like eggs on the bottom of some of the leaves.  I couldn't believe how fast this little creatures were eating my tomato plant.  I cut off all the leaves that look like they had eggs on and also took the two really tiny Tomato Hornworms off. I put all the leaves in soapy water. I believe in trying to save nature, but this is ridiculous.  :-D I will check the Tomato plant again tomorrow.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:48 PM »
Take some ivory soap and cayenne pepper and water.  Put it in a blender and mix it well.  Spray it on your plants if you want to put a stop to the inavasion.

pizzapan