Author Topic: Best Places people on this forum have found to buy Seeds or Perennials?  (Read 17754 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
The robins are returning, the snow geese are here and the weeds are starting to show their little heads, so I guess Spring is right around the corner.  I should have purchased seeds before this and started them inside, but was wondering where people on this forum have found the best places to buy seeds like tomatoes and other seeds related to pizza making?

I have a few oregano perennials and especially like the one that I bought on Ebay last year of Mexican Oregano.  Hopefully it has survived the winter. When looking for Oregano is there one specific kind to look for?

My parsley is already green and growing.  Is there any one particular kind that people favor?  I also was wondering if there is any special places to find perennials? 

Thanks,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I still was looking around our area to see if I could find some places that sell different herbs or perennials. 

I found a place not far from me that has many different kinds of herbs and perennials. I went there yesterday and although the plants wonít be ready to sell for a few weeks, they did have dried herbs from last year.  The lady that owns Cloverleaf Herb Farm was very knowable about all the herbs and perennials. The prices of dried herbs were great.  I bought some Cinnamon Basil, Purple Basil, and Lemon Verbena dried.  When I was talking to the owner she said they sell Amish Paste tomato plants, that are good for making sauce. She said they are like a Roma paste tomato.   I wonder if anyone has tried them to make pizza sauce?  They are also going to be a vendor at the Herb and Garden Faire at Landis Valley Museum, May 7th and 8th if anyone lives in this area.  Landis Valley Museum are also going to have around 70 vendors selling different Herbs and Perennials if anyone is interested in attending.

http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/documents/1269277917.pdf

This is the list of the items that Cloverleaf Herb Farm sells.

Norma

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
I got my seeds from here. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/. I got two different types of tomatoes, basil, oregano, and marjoram. I should have got parsley to but I forgot.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I got my seeds from here. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/. I got two different types of tomatoes, basil, oregano, and marjoram. I should have got parsley to but I forgot.

BrickStoneOven,

Thanks for your help.  :) I see they have many kinds of seeds where you placed your order. I will see what I might want to purchase. Best of Luck with your seeds.
I am also looking for a type of Greek Oregano that is called Krinos. I do buy it dried from an Italian Grocery store near me in big bunches.  It is very fragrant. 

Norma

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:04:43 AM by norma427 »

Offline Bob1

I bought seeds last night at Lowes.  Brick stone they do carry parsley.  Norma they also had a wide selection of flowers.  I have always used Burpee and have had good results.  This weekend I will be picking up some horse manure.  I will be planting another type of basil we allready have basil, oregano, parsley, and thyme growing.  We will also have three types of tomatoes, two types cucumber, two types of pole peas, zucchini, and sweet peppers.  My daughter will have fun raising the seeds for transplant.

Bob  

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I bought seeds last night at Lowes.  Brick stone they do carry parsley.  Norma they also had a wide selection of flowers.  I have always used Burpee and have had good results.  This weekend I will be picking up some horse manure.  I will be planting another type of basil we allready have basil, oregano, parsley, and thyme growing.  We will also have three types of tomatoes, two types cucumber, two types of pole peas, zucchini, and sweet peppers.  My daughter will have fun raising the seeds for transplant.

Bob  

Bob,

Best of luck to you and your daughter in planting the seeds and watching them grow.  Your idea of the horse manure is good.  :)

I am looking for Heirloom or old varieties of seeds or perennials to try. 

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Bob1

Thanks Norma,
I noticed on the Burpee site they had a button to click for heirloom.  Lowes may carry them if they are on the site.  Might be worth a stop.  http://www.burpee.com/p2p/searchResults.do?search=basic&keyword=heirloom&sortby=newArrivals&page=4

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Thanks Norma,
I noticed on the Burpee site they had a button to click for heirloom.  Lowes may carry them if they are on the site.  Might be worth a stop.  http://www.burpee.com/p2p/searchResults.do?search=basic&keyword=heirloom&sortby=newArrivals&page=4

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the link,  :)

Norma

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:40:07 AM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Bob1

Brickstone,
I love the cherries because they are so sweet and easy for salads. 

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Best Places people on this forum have found to buy Seeds or Perennials?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:28 AM »
I got these Heirloom's and these cherry tomatoes. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7941-brandywine-og.aspx. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6966-tomatoberry-garden-f1.aspx

BrickStoneOven,

Brandywine (OG) (Solanum lycopersicum) and the Tomatoberry Garden (F1) tomatoes sure do look delicious.  I am not sure about the Greek oregano you just viewed.  The kind of oregano I am looking for is tall and bushy.

I will look over the kinds of seeds they have.   

Thanks for the links,  :)

Norma

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
Is there a big difference from the greek oregano and the italian one? I was reading about them both and it sounded like the italian one has a little more "spicey" flavor.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
BrickStoneOven,

I am not sure about both the Italian kind of bunches of oregano and the Krinos bunches.  I am sure not everyone agrees on which is the best kind. 

This is the kind of Krinos oregano I buy at our local Italian store. Picture at the bottom. It is about 2.79 a bunch.  I use it on my breadsticks and also on my Sicilian pies. 

I think the flavor is very intense and the smell is great.  That is why I was looking where I might purchase seeds or perennials. 

Here is a thread about Italian oregano and people that have tried this kind of oregano.  I havenít found that brand near me, but would be interested in trying it, dried, in seeds or a perennial. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3800.0.html

Thanks for your help,

Norma
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:18:46 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »
I purchased two kinds of San Marzano tomatoes seeds to try this year from Tomato Growers Supply Company in Florida.  They are the San Marzano Redorta and the San Marzano.  I know they only say the true DOP San Marzano tomatoes can only be grown in Italy, but wanted to try some ideas to if they can grow in my area. 

I have been looking around for some volcanic ash and really canít find too much, except this site that says it sells volcanic ash for pottery making.  I am wondering if anyone knows if this is also a volcanic ash that could be added to my soil?  1 lb. of this volcanic ash is 1.23 and 10 lbs. is 10.00.

http://www.continentalclay.com/detail.php?PID=711&cat_id=197

I also want to try some river dirt from the Susquehanna River near my place.  I can just go down there and dip some up.  There is a place called Washington Boro and although they donít sell San Marzano tomatoes, they do have the best regular tomatoes I have ever tasted.  Many people go there to purchase their tomatoes because they claim the tomatoes get their flavor from the dirt being near the river.  They mostly sell Jet Star Sweet tomatoes, but also sell Sunbright Tomatoes.  The difference between the two are:
The Jets Start Tomato was developed in the 1950s. 
When ripe, it is juicier, softer and sweeter tomato then the Sunbright. 
The Jets Star also has a thinner skin.
The Sunbright Tomato is a more firm tomato and a longer shelf life
than the jet Star.  The Sunbright is a meaty tomato with a thicker
skin, but not the sweetness of the Jets Star.

They also have a facebook page about the tomato festival at Washington Boro.  If you look under read more at the basic information you can see they use the Jet Start Tomatoes.  They are delicious.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=89969211971

Does anyone have ideas about trying the best way to grow the San Marzano tomatoes?

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
Norma,
One theory I heard was that the volcanic ash filters the water.  Maybe you could experiment with a sandy soil in a large pot and shield it from the acid rain.  Then only water it with filtered or better yet distilled water.  Just a thought.

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 01:00:39 PM »
Norma,
One theory I heard was that the volcanic ash filters the water.  Maybe you could experiment with a sandy soil in a large pot and shield it from the acid rain.  Then only water it with filtered or better yet distilled water.  Just a thought.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for you ideas.   :)  I am going to dig some sandy soil from the river at Washington Boro.  If I can find some volcanic ash that is suitable, I will use that, too.

If I can get the tomato plants started, I might use your idea about only using filtered water and keeping the tomato plants shaded from the rain.

I will have to read up more on this.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »

Johnny's is a little pricey but I think there is a noticeable difference in their quality on the good side.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »
Johnny's is a little pricey but I think there is a noticeable difference in their quality on the good side.

Randy,

Thanks for telling there is a noticeable difference in the quality at johnny seeds.  :) I guess I will order a packet from them, also.  I do want to try out the Amish Paste tomatoes. I will buy those already started. I hear they are great, too.  LOL, I hope it isn't too dry here this summer or I will be spending most of my time watering.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »
Norma,
When I do my garden I lay down soaker hose.  They sell design kits with hose that can be cut and you can buy the fittings required.  It costs a little up front but lasts for years.  I run a header then tap rows off that.  You can also get a timer.  I lay down the hose and then cover it with mulch to keep the moisture.  It saves on water for a large garden, and also gives a consistant feeding.

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »
Norma,
When I do my garden I lay down soaker hose.  They sell design kits with hose that can be cut and you can buy the fittings required.  It costs a little up front but lasts for years.  I run a header then tap rows off that.  You can also get a timer.  I lay down the hose and then cover it with mulch to keep the moisture.  It saves on water for a large garden, and also gives a consistant feeding.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the tips on using the soaker hose.   :) Do you usually plan on planting a large garden?  That is something I did years ago.  I only now plant herbs and tomatoes.  Too much work to take of a whole garden for me now.  Did you ever try the manure tea? 

Norma

pizzapan