Author Topic: Raw Milk (for mozzarella cheese making) Locations By State  (Read 1082 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Raw Milk (for mozzarella cheese making) Locations By State
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
With the recent post in this forum about mozzarella cheese, I thought it might be beneficial to post the link to the Campaign for Real Milk's list, by state, of farm's offering raw milk for sale. I have found that a farm may be listed, but no longer offers raw milk or that a listed farm is no longer operational.

If this information has been posted previously, I apoligize.

http://www.realmilk.com/where4.html#pa
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Re: Raw Milk (for mozzarella cheese making) Locations By State
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »
Wisconsin may be a viable state for raw milk purchases soon, a repeal of the law banning it's sale is working it's way through the legislature right now (March-2010)
They are going from a full ban on it's sale, to the producer needing proper signage & literature stating the risk's involved with consuming unpasteurized milk.

There have been attempt of people purchasing shares in a cow to show them as an owner so they would be getting milk from their own cow, the WI dept. of agriculture tried put an end to that practice real quick through prosecution of the farmer named as the caretaker and the share owners alike..
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
Thanks for posting this!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
Thanks for posting this!

No problemo.

The interesting aspect of all of this are the variety of cows. Apparently, some cows create milk whose protein and fat content is more suitable for making fior-di-latte than others. Even the taste is slightly different. I've tried Jersey, Jersey Cross and Dutch Belted cows milk so far and also milk from cows that are 100% grass fed and from cows fed a mix of grass and grain (grass is better IMO).

GotRocks, that's a real interesting idea on the share a cow plan. Too bad the state put the kabash on it. Also a way for some fanatics to get a specific type of cow perhaps. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
GotRocks, that's a real interesting idea on the share a cow plan. Too bad the state put the kabash on it. Also a way for some fanatics to get a specific type of cow perhaps. --K

Owning shares in something is nothing new, people have timeshare condos, shares in airplanes, and all sorts of other stuff. This way the farmer is not actually selling raw milk illegally, he is just taking care of that cow which is owned by a separate group of people so they can get raw milk from their own cow. Sort of like boarding a  horse at a stable. You pay the stable to house and care for your horse.But the Dept. of Ag. didn't see it that way.

I was going to cut & paste the latest raw milk article in the Wisconsin battle to legalize raw milk sales, but it is too huge to paste here.
here is a link to the main article, and that article has many other links and a comment section that you may find interesting too
http://www.jsonline.com/business/87234707.html

I grew up on raw milk, as did my parents. My GF still thinks it is funny that I shake the bottle before opening it. It is just something we did to mix the cream into the milk and it is a hard habit to break 40+ years later.
Oh, most WI cows are Holstein & Hereford's, not too many jerseys up this way (that I know of)
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!