Author Topic: Wood Proofing Box  (Read 7999 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: Wood Proofing Box
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
wen doing the VPN training, one of the pizzerias we worked at had wood drawers under the working bench, all closed by a very good door... the dough stayed perfect...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Bob1

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »
It sounds like andreguidon has a good point about the cracks sealing with flour.  Maybe you could unscrew it and use a flour and water paste on all the joints before you put it back together.  You could also make a paste to paint the inside seams also, or maybe use a karyo syrup type mixture to seal.  Just a thought.

Bob

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »
the wood boxes are never cleaned, just scrape and dust the old flour off, thats why the older ones are better...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 11:25:23 AM »
So this is an experiment for commercial use?

I am curious what your County Health Department would say about unsealed wood being used for direct food product in a commercial situation?
Yes I know it is a raw bakery product, and wood is a preferred material, but some of these inspectors go way over the edge when it comes to many things! and I suspect this may be one of them.

If you run into problems with using unsealed wood, there are a few university studies available that tout the antibacterial qualities of wood and it is suspected there is a compound in wood that does not allow bacterias to grow. The university of WI Madison did a study a few years back and they have proven unsealed hardwood to be more sanitary than plastic or most any other material commonly used in a kitchen. They couldn't even get harmful bacteria to survive on wood and found it would flourish on other materials.

here you go >  http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF11/1121B.html  I'll see if I can also find the actual PDF file so you can download it and keep it handy
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:30:10 AM by GotRocks »
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »
I can't unscrew the box its glued together and then screwed. When I'm done with the box I use my scraper and take whatever flour is in there out, I don't wash it. I am looking forward to reading the article, if it comes down to the DoH not letting wooden dough boxes to be used then I will show them the article and be like "suck on that bitches" :-D.

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:48 AM »
I can't unscrew the box its glued together and then screwed. When I'm done with the box I use my scraper and take whatever flour is in there out, I don't wash it. I am looking forward to reading the article, if it comes down to the DoH not letting wooden dough boxes to be used then I will show them the article and be like "suck on that bitches" :-D.

Here is the study in PDF form to download and print http://www.mapleblock.com/uploads/Univ_of_Wisc_Study.pdf enjoy, I am just glad I could help
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »
I if it comes down to the DoH not letting wooden dough boxes to be used then I will show them the article and be like "suck on that bitches" :-D.

Brickstone,
Be carefull with inspectors.  I know in construction it is the Authority having Jurisdiction and if you upset them they can get really picky.  Ive seen them move sinks in the deli department 1" to meet code.

Bob