Author Topic: Advice on Angela Mia Extra Heavy Pizza Sauce?  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Polymandius

Advice on Angela Mia Extra Heavy Pizza Sauce?
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »

I am hoping that someone can offer some advice on the product mentioned. You see, I picked it up just to see what it was. Of course, I open the can and find..... thick thick thick tomato paste, devoid of any real hint of tomotoes! Sure, it's invitingly red, and looks great, but it's nothing I would use on a pizza in present form!

My usual way of making a sauce is to start lighter and reduce, so starting with something so heavy is new to me. Perhaps you have met this product previously and managed to prevail. If so, I sure would like to hear your suggestions! Just what does one do with this sort of tomato paste concoction to make a decent pizza sauce out of it? Please.... don't say "Just add water". The stuff just has no character.

I will be every so grateful for good advice!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Advice on Angela Mia Extra Heavy Pizza Sauce?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
Poly,
 I picked up a #10 of this product at Costco last year never got to it I wil try it this summer. I will add some hand crushed sanmarzano tomatoes, they are nice and juicy, maybe a can of 6 in 1's touch of black pepper. and some penzy pizza seasoning just a guess not sure till I open the can and have a taste.
Good luck!
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:33:05 PM »
you might be surprised at how it turns out when watered down.   Not the ultimate sauce, but one used in countless NY pizzerias and it works great.   The best use for a product like this is thickening up otherwise watery san marzanos

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
and very inexpensive!! I think I remeber $3 something for this #10 can ?
jc
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Polymandius

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
Thank you all so much for the info!

Yes, the price per huge can was real cheap and I like to experiment... It just ends up being the opposite of what I normally do. I've exactly 0% experience with using such a product and 100% experience dealing with a starting point of "too watery"! So I haven't been sure exactly how to handle it. The first can was a total loss as I tried to grapple with the awesomely gooey, red, vaguely tomato-like substance. The whole time I was thinking "Wonder what mud made from martian dust looks like?".

Not being one to admit defeat without a thorough bout of diarrhea (not achieved the first time 'round), I got a second can for another try.

That can is.... gloating at me from the shelf where it sits!

Creative writing aside, I really do appreciate the help. It will make for some interesting experimentation adding fresh tomatoes or sauce to it to get the consistency I like.

Do people really just add water alone? Seems unthinkable.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:36:00 PM by Polymandius »

pizzapan