Author Topic: Oven temps..pics  (Read 7155 times)

Offline jcamador

Re: Oven temps..pics
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »
Thanks Tranman! These pies tasted the best so far. The crust was light, crisp on the outside, soft and chewy inside, slight char on bottom. I don't have any pics of a pre-bake...but I will take some probably Monday and post them. Your technique about shaping helped tremendously...so thank you!

I did a cooked sauce...onion, garlic, tomato, salt, pepper, basil, parsely

Also a white sauce for the white pies...saute shallot, deglaze with white wine, reduced cream, garlic, thyme, Parmesan, salt, pepper

This time I also cut back on the preferment and raised salt..

Flour:    190.03 g
Water:    107.31 g 
Salt:            5.59 g 
Preferment: 67.07 g 
Total:    370 g

3 hours bulk ferment at 73 degrees, shaped and cold proof 20 hours.

jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 12:45:53 PM »
Your welcome Jason. 

I've traditionally not use preferments in making pizza and would like to try it after seeing your posts and reading about reverse engineering the UPN dough.   Can you talk a little about how you came about the recipe you are currently using?  What inspired you to go the preferment route?   Is your preferment leftover dough or is it made from your natural starter and add flour and water?   Or are you using a straight 67gm of starter from the fridge (preferment) and mixing it into the dough. 
   I guess when  I hear "preferment" I'm envisioning starter mixed with more water and flour and letting it sit for 24hours prior to using.

White pizza is good as well, I'll try your recipe sometime.  I'm lazy so I just normally use a dressed up alfredo sauce. 

Another great pizza to try is a buffalo chicken pizza.  Sauce is 1/4-1/3 parts ranch and Wing sauce.  Taste is amazingly good. 

Thanks for sharing Jason. 

Tran
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:48:12 PM by Tranman »

Offline jcamador

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
I came to this recipe through trial and error. Since starting pizzas a couple of months ago, I would bake between 6-10 pies a day, and make notes.  When I first started, I was using a lot of starter, almost 50% (sometimes more) to total dough weight, and the oven was baking closer to 450 degrees. Now, I've reduced the starter to roughly 30% to flour weight and the oven temp is closer to 650-700. Also playing around with bulk ferment times and temperatures...I found it really important to note the dough temperature after kneading and throughout the ferment, otherwise the dough would get out of control and turn into a blob of sorts.

The preferment is 100% hydration (liquid) starter that's been used pretty much every day for the past 26 years...so it's always fed and ready to go. My family has a bakery so I've never really thought to not use the starter....I also like the sourdough taste it brings to the crust.

Thanks for the buffalo recipe...I'll try that soon!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:52:18 PM by jcamador »
jason

Offline jcamador

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 11:39:01 AM »
Dough is stretched to about 9 inches and placed on peel..then dressed, then pulled under rim to about 12" and baked....
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
Jason, your pies look like pieces of art.  Absolutely beautiful!   The prebaked dough has a very nice color and look to it.  I can usually tell if a pie will bake up well based on how it looks prebaked. 

Yours and many others don't look like you are purposefully leaving a thick rim to start with.  meaning your rim is about as thick as the rest of the skin, but yet you get a great oven spring and rim at the end.  Is this correct? or are my eyes playing tricks on me?  I like that and will try it next as I have  been use to leaving a thicker rim to start with to create a nice thick rim at the end. 

I have 2 doughballs in deep sleep for 2 days now that I hope to take to 3-4 days but I'm not sure that I can.  I recently up my starter from 5% to 20% based on your recipe ( I believe you use 30%).  At 5% starter  I can usually cold ferment for 3 days easy, but at 20% the doughballs have already doubled after 18 hours.   

Thanks again for the pictures.  I also like the spotting on the cheese.  Just Gorgeous.

Offline jcamador

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Tranman! It's funny that pizza seems like such a simple thing to make but there are so many variables that can change the characteristics of the dough...getting consistent is a goal...I have a long way to go for that!

You're correct about the rim...it is about the same size as the rest of the dough and I don't do any sort of "rim shaping".

I'm anxious to see how your increased starter dough turns out...post pics if you have them!!
jason

Offline jcamador

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
gotta make pizza while on the road!
jason

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »
Jason,

Great looking pie.......is that Italian Sopresetta instead of peperoni???

Tony

Offline jcamador

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
Thanks Tony! yes, it is hot sopressata from Alps Provisions in NY...my local Italian deli carries it...it is very good but a bit pricey!
jason

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »
jcamador,

Great looking pies.  :)  Those pictures are sure making me hungry.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
Jason your pies keep looking nicer and nicer.  The latest one you posted is one of the nicest looking pies I've seen yet.
  Ill see if I can post a pic later, but it's a work in progress.  

Offline jcamador

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
Thanks Norma! Thanks Tranman!

I am starting to see progress on each pie I make. I think it's just practice practice practice...working on it everyday and trying new things... Looking forward to the pics Tranman!
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »
OK Jason, Pics as promised.   My last 3 pies I made had 20% preferment (Pic 1&2) and 35% preferment (pic 3) respectively. 

On the last pie (pic 3), I opted to stretch out flat and not leave a rim as I normally do.  I'm not sure which I prefer, but it was nice to try something new. 

I'm still experimenting with different oven setups to try and get a more even browning of the rim.  Otherwise, the pies tasted pretty good. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:14:52 PM by Tranman »

Offline jcamador

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »
Those look REALLY good Tranman!

I especially like the char on the crust and the spotted cheese! How long did you bulk ferment these for? Do you feel increasing the starter was a good idea or do you feel like 5% is a better number for your schedule? This is something I really need to experiment with...

Could you taste any difference by increasing the starter?  Again, those pies look great...very good!
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 11:37:20 PM »
Thanks Jason you are too kind. In all honesty, you're pies give me a goal to shoot for.  :D  As is, I need more practice and only make pizza 1-2x a week. 

The first 2 pies at 20% starter were bulk fermented ( I believe) for 1 hour.  I was hoping to cold ferment for 3 days so I didn't want to activate the yeast (starter ) too much. 

The 2nd pie was following your methods and bulk fermented for about 4 hours before going into fridge and cold fermented for about 18-20 hours.

About my starter.  It's my first any only starter so far so i don't have others to judge it against.  I recently did an experiment to compare ADY to my starter.  After 4 days of cold fermentation both the ADY and the starter crust had the same texture, rise, oven spring, taste, feel, etc.  No difference.  Both had a nice sourdough taste but really not much difference.    I've read that starters are suppose to give a dramatically better texture and taste over commercial yeast.  I did not find this to be true so it may be that my starter isn't that good?  ???

I did find that by increasing my starter from 5% to 20-30%, that I got a better flavor after one day in the fridge with the higher % of starter.  Maybe even a comparable flavor to a 3 day cold rise with 5% starter.

I also started feeding my starter (tonight) with beer to see if it makes a noticeable difference in taste.  I'm bummed I failed to split my starter before doing this so i won't be able to do a side by side comparison. So my results will have to be somewhat subjective for the time being.

I'll post more pics if I can get my pies looking even better. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:21:34 AM by Tranman »

Offline jcamador

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
Tranman...I'll think you'll find that starters can be temperamental...each has it's own personality and characteristics which will change as it develops and matures over time. That's what makes it fun and interesting! Never a dull moment!

Today was a different oven which gets up to about 650...I'm finding that all ovens take time to get used to and they can be temperamental  as well..anyway here are some pics...
jason

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »
where do you have the oven hooked up - is it in a commercial kitchen ?
Patrick

Offline jcamador

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
I'm on the road visiting friends who have a bakery/restaurant...just messing around with their ovens...
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:04 PM »
I'm on the road visiting friends who have a bakery/restaurant...just messing around with their ovens...

Wow Jason, pretty nice for just messing around!  I really like the leoparding on the crust.  I wish I could get mine that way.   So I baked the 2nd 35% starter pie after sleeping in the fridge for 4 days.   It had less oven spring than I normally get and like.  I suspect it was b/c 4 days is too long for a 35% starter pie.   Either that or I didn't have the stone temp hot enough when loading.  I was impatient and popped her into the oven after a  30m warm up instead of my usual 45m - 1h.   Anyways, the flavor of the crust was just right and not too sour. 

Offline jcamador

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »
That pizza looks great Tran! I think you might be right though about 4 days being a little long for that amount of starter. Just really depends on how your starter behaves...the next time you make your dough, place a small amount of dough in a measuring cup, mark the level, and watch how it grows, keeping track of time and temperatures. This will then tell you how your starter is behaving while at room temp, in fridge, etc...just an idea.

Your pizzas are looking really good...keep it up! I really enjoy watching your experiments!!

Here is some sourdough bread made with pizza dough...
jason