Author Topic: Oven temps..pics  (Read 7618 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Oven temps..pics
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »
Thanks for the encouragment Jason.  I'm not completely happy with my pies yet but I hope to have them dialed in and be in the zone in a couple of months.  I'm just now realizing that i do like the 24H - 2 day doughs best. 

In the meantime, the experiments continue.  :-D

The crust on your bread looks outstanding.  You definitely have a knack for this stuff.

Offline jcamador

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
Tran, I think you can pack plenty of flavor into a 24 hour to 2 day dough. I've never been able to wait longer than 2 days to try my experiments :). I can definitely see a progression in your pies, and as you continue to experiment and try new things you will start to hit your stride where things start to make sense and fall in to place. I'm absolutely not there yet, but I'm starting to have those "aha" moments where ideas or concepts begin to click. The one big thing for me was the dough in the measuring cup trick...before I was basically just fermenting for 5 hours and thinking that was enough. When I tried the dough in the measuring cup I found that it took my starter 9-10 hours to double the dough. Pretty significant time difference. Might be interesting for you to try...

Anyway, keep those pies coming! They look great and I'm sure they taste fantastic!
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2010, 11:10:37 AM »
Jason, do you find the time it takes your starter to double (9-10) hours is the optimal time to use your pizza dough?  If so that is a very interesting concept.

Like most ppl who search the web for pizza making, I started with J. Varasano's recipe and technique.  I was treading water for 3 months before I found this place.  Jeff says you want your dough to increase by 50% and not double as that is too late.  I'm not sure I totally agree with that at this point in time but I may be completely wrong as well. 

What I have been doing lately is using the poppy seed technique and using when my dough doubles in volume whether using starter or yeast with good results.  Your method is a good one and I will definitely be doing a test this weekend to find out how long it takes for my starter to double.  Thank you.

Offline jcamador

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »
Tran, the 9-10 hours is only the fermentation process whereby the yeast is having time to convert sugars into cO2...this is where I want to see the dough double because I want the gas production. Then it is shaped and into the fridge for a cold proof until time to bake. I think Jeff is correct when he says you want to see the dough increase by 50%, but he is talking about the proof, which is the final rise before baking. it is better to be under-proofed at this stage than over-proofed.
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2010, 01:08:14 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  So you bulk rise at room temps for 9-10 hours, then cold ferment.  Proof for an hour or 2 prior to baking?  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
Jason, just wanted to let you know that I retried you technique with better results.  Did a 30% starter, bulk rise for 8 hours, kneaded and then cold ferment for around 11 hours.  Only proofed for about an hour and stretched while cool.  Next time I might let it proof a bit longer.   Used AP flour this time but will do again with HG flour. 
  So I didn't cold ferment too long this time.  The flavor of the crust was just right for me at about 30% starter and 20 hours start to finish. 

Offline jcamador

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
Tran- this is the first time I've logged on in about a month and am very impressed with your experiments and desire to learn! Your pies are looking GREAT! I can't wait to get home to my regular oven...but here are some recent tries...
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
Welcome back Jason!  :D Your pies give me inspiration.  I wished I had a bakery or some customers to eat up my pies so I can experiment more.  As it is there's only so much pizza my wife is willing to eat.   :-D

I forget if I asked or this or not, but are you using a mixer for the dough?  Also what type of flour are you using to make those gorgeous pies?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:51:12 PM by Tranman »

Offline jcamador

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »
Thanks Tran...I wish I had a bakery also! My parents have one...this is just a side hobby for me :) All of the uneaten pies usually get tossed...I need a better system for this  :-[  In any case, I usually mix with a kitchenaid, but sometimes do it by hand if I'm in the mood. Just using pendleton mills bread flour...stuff you can get in bulk at cash n carry or other similar stores.
jason

Offline jcamador

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
Playing around with feeding schedules and ratios for my starter...soooo...baking bread.....
jason

Offline jcamador

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2010, 05:09:42 PM »
Still playing with the sourdough starter...

english muffins and bagels...
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »
Jason, is there anything you can't make?  Your latest bread looks fantastic and so do the english muffins and bagels.  How do they all taste?  Are you happy with them?

BTW, I've been having more success with 30-50% starter pizzas.  Thanks for posting your ideas. 

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 07:02:30 PM »
oh my... those muffins look so good!!!!!!!

how do you make those?

We love a good egg and cheese sandwich with cabot sharp white cheddar! :)
Patrick

Offline jcamador

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »
Thanks Tran..thanks pccambell....my starter is definitely starting to wake up. feeding it 2-3 times a day! Here's the recipe for the english muffins..
http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2007/09/11/sourdough-english-muffins/
and the bagels were awesome as well...
http://yumarama.com/blog/46/sourdough-bagels-recipe/

Both were super easy and it's nice to use the starter discard instead of tossing it.

EDIT: BTW both of these recipes are really really good...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:40:05 PM by jcamador »
jason

Offline jcamador

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:36 PM »
Tran....I've been really impressed with your progress! It's looking VERY GOOD! Keep it up!
jason

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »
Thx, I'm always trying. I burnt 2 pies today in my new mini black egg.  Got the temps up to 900 in 25m but had the wrong stone. :(

brayshaw

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2010, 08:48:10 AM »
Jason, those pizzas look totally delicious! well done!
My favourite one that you have put in this thread is also one of the most simple I would think, it is titled 7.jpeg.

Keep posting please!!

Paul

Offline jcamador

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »
Thanks brayshaw! I agree...the simplest pizzas are always the best!
jason

brayshaw

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
Jason, can you remember what that pizza was? I have got to have a go at making that one!!! my mouth is dribbling just looking at it!

PAul

Offline jcamador

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 04:23:12 PM »
LOL! That's funny brayshaw! This was a white pie that I tried some time ago...basically I made a white sauce with sauteed shallots (or red onions), deglazed with white wine (or chicken stock) added cream and reduced a little. Then added grated parmesan and garlic powder, then checked seasoning and added salt and pepper. Open the dough, spread the white sauce, put on the fresh mozz (I've been getting the Grande curd and pulling it myself), cherry or grape tomatoes and basil. I haven't made this for a while, but it was really rich and tasty..you should give it a try!

Here are some more pics..
jason

pizzapan