Author Topic: Your favorite cheese blend for a simple cheese pizza?  (Read 11062 times)

Online scott123

Re: Your favorite cheese blend for a simple cheese pizza?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »
I'm a different Scott ;) but I happen to have some opinions of my own on Sorrento.

I like Sorrento.  It's not quite as creamy as most of the private label stuff (Shop Rite, Pathmark, Foodtown, A&P, etc) or Biazzo, but it's a LOT more stable on a pizza. And it's creamier than Polly-O.  I'm going to go out out on a limb here and conjecture that translucency might somehow be tied to stability, because the more opaque/creamy a cheese, the more I have curdling issues.  I love the pure whiteness of Biazzo (wouldn't use anything else for lasagna), but it just can't seem to handle the heat on pizza.

Great value isn't Sorrento. Sorrento can be a little higher on the salt scale, but GV is through the roof.  Also, GV is closer to private label in terms of opacity. I sincerely believe that GV isn't a private label of a well known brand, it's just GV.

Offline IndyRob

Re: Your favorite cheese blend for a simple cheese pizza?
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
My utility cheese is a Mozzarella/Provolone blend from GFS (Primo Gusto).  But I'd prefer to be using a Mozzarella/Muenster blend.  However, all of my local Muenster options now have that homogeneous Velveeta texture.  I'm not sure how or why that happened.  I used to be able to buy Muenster that had a cheese-like texture and evidence of curds.