Author Topic: Sorrento and Arrezzio from Sysco  (Read 5116 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Sorrento and Arrezzio from Sysco
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »
The Sysco rep for my church brought a couple of bags of cheese. One is Arrezzio, and the other is Sorrento whole-milk mozzarella. I was interested in trying the Arrezzio because somewhere, I got the idea that it was the same as Kirkland mozzarella.

I have to make some pies later this week to see if this stuff is any good. What I like is a cheese that has a good deal of tangy flavor and lots of stretch, with very little browning and minimal oiling off. Like Grande ECB, only tastier. Am I likely to have any luck with these cheeses?

I'm baking for 6 minutes at 500, in a commercial convection oven.

Offline Puzzolento

Re: Sorrento and Arrezzio from Sysco
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »
I tried this stuff at home, in a Sicilian pie. I made an 8" square pie, with a layer of provolone slices on the bottom. Then I added Arrezzio on one side and Sorrento on the other. I had to use the provolone, to simulate the pizza I made at church. I baked at 550 right over the heating element, and I gave it 9 minutes. Then I put it on a stone for 30 seconds, with the pan removed.

They both baked up beautifully. The Sorrento barely browned. The Arrezzio browned a little, but not much. It seemed like the Sorrento had a better flavor. Neither seemed as bland as Grande, so I would prefer either of these to it.

I think if I were picking a new cheese, I'd go with Sorrento, because I need a cheese that won't burn, and I like the flavor. But NOTHING I've tried matches the flavor of Kirkland cheese, as far as I can tell! It amazes me that Costco cheese is that good.

I guess I better continue this unpleasant research.

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »
Arrezzio is a sysco-brand item, they use that name for their Italian line of sysco products.
I do not know who makes what under that name for them, but I suspect they may have several manufacturers packaging products under the Arrezzio name depending on best price.
So be aware that you may see consistency changes from time to time. One time the cheese may be excellent, another time it may be mediocre.

If the cheese is great now, it may not be a few months down the road. I feel in any food business, consistency should be the operators number one priority. So just be ready if things change
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
Today I was reminded why learning to make pizza nearly drove me crazy. After making pies in my home oven and drawing conclusions about Arrezzio and Sorrento cheese, I tried them in my church's convection oven, and they browned MORE than Costco cheese, not less. This makes no sense at all, but I saw it with my own eyes. I can see why people stick to cheeses they've already used.

pizzapan