Author Topic: Buttery Flavor Missing  (Read 1198 times)

Offline AJ72

Buttery Flavor Missing
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
Hi Guys,
I am getting very close to making my favorite pizza.  My crust and sauce are perfect for me, and I am using Grande East Coast Blend for my cheese.  However, the overall flavor profile of my pizza is lacking a buttery flavor that my local shops' pizza's have.  What is missing?  Are they adding something to their cheese that I don't know about? My favorite pizzeria's owner has confirmed to me that he is using 50/50 Whole/Part Skim mozzarella blend and so am I, but his pizza has a buttery character that mine is lacking.  Could it be that they are mixing butter with their cheese?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your replies.

Offline IndyRob

Re: Buttery Flavor Missing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:03:55 PM »
Muenster has a buttery flavor.  At least to me.  I like a 50/50 blend of Mozzarella and Muenster.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:15:35 PM »
Scamorza is very buttery-tasting.

I have found that cheap olive oil adds a surprisingly buttery taste to pizza. I mean the Berio "Sauteeing and Grilling" grade. You might add some to your cheese as an experiment.

Then again, there is always butter.

Offline AJ72

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:33:54 PM »
Does anybody know of any operators adding butter to their cheese?  It could be that they are just using whole milk mozzarella but he told me 50/50, so there must be a secret.  Then again, why would they use a 50/50 only to add the fat back in?

pizzapan