Author Topic: New sauce combo  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
New sauce combo
« on: March 15, 2005, 11:43:33 AM »
Hi guys,I recieved a case of Full Red fully prepared pizza sauce last week from my supplier as part of a test to see what stanislaus products are suited for my tastes.Let me start by saying compared to pizzaletto this is no where near as chunky or tomatoe flavored.The FR is much more like a traditional sauce found in pizza shops.The FR is a good product but I prefer the Pizzaletto for its fuller tomato flavour print.The FR comes already spiced where the Pizzaletto is still pretty much up to your own personal flavour print.What I will be doing is to mix 1 can of FR to 2 cans of pizzaletto,I think this will produce an exceptional sauce.On the stanislaus web site I believe they call for FR to be mixed with another sauce in there recipe section,but alas I do not have the other product available to me at this moment.I may start with  an original mix of one to one to see how that tastes and go from there.
Aaron

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: New sauce combo
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 01:53:45 PM »
I just got my first case of full red from our area wholesaler for $20.  When I got home, I opened the case and there's 6 HUGE cans in there.  The wife freaked and asked where I was going to keep the leftover sauce.  I didn't think that far ahead actually.   :o  ;D
I'm going to mildly spice the full red this coming weekend and see how it stacks up to what I've been using. Stay tuned for the results and sauce recipe...

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 03:40:23 PM »
Hi Bortz.
What I found with the full red fully prepared pizza sauce was it is pretty much already spiced.
What I do is use one can at a time,take what you are going to use out and ziploc the rest in portions,usually enough sauce for 3 pies in each.Then pack them in the freezer until required.
If you dont mind me asking what sauce are you currently using for your pies.
Aaron

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »
Those #10 cans are a little unwieldly for a home kitchen. I simply put my excess in wide-mouth quart-sized Mason jars and freeze.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 04:03:33 PM »
Those #10 cans are a little unwieldly for a home kitchen. I simply put my excess in wide-mouth quart-sized Mason jars and freeze.

Have any of you ever thought the sauce seemed watery after freezing or is it just me?  I've been using the recipe off of Escalons site for several months now but I cut it in half.  So I still end up with like 2 1/2 gallons of sauce  :o  I've wasted tons of it, but at first I was just using up what I could before it went bad, then throwing the rest out.  This last time I froze what I didn't want to use within a week or so in Gladware containers.  But it tastes watery to me after thawing it.   ???
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 04:19:53 PM »
Hi Bortz.
What I found with the full red fully prepared pizza sauce was it is pretty much already spiced.
What I do is use one can at a time,take what you are going to use out and ziploc the rest in portions,usually enough sauce for 3 pies in each.Then pack them in the freezer until required.
If you dont mind me asking what sauce are you currently using for your pies.
Aaron

I'm using a home made concoction that is paste based for the most part. I've been experimenting with pre-made sauces like the casa visco that is in another post, last weekend. I've also tried the Ragu pizza sauce (not the Pizza Quick sauce, the other one).  So I guess you could say I'm a sauce perfectionist and unsatisfied with what I've been getting.

To try and get a more pizza shop taste, I thought I would go with the full red.  I guess there is more than one full red? The one I have just has basil in it and citric acid. That's why I mentioned lightly spicing it up.

The thing is- I wanted to see if the fresh pack tomato products are really all they're hyped up to be.  If not, I can continue experimenting and maybe try the Don Pepino pre-made once the full red runs out. (In about 8 months from now  ;D)

Thanks for the storage tips btw. Think I'll use the 1 gallon ziplock bags since they can be stored flat and not take up a lot of room.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 04:21:38 PM by bortz »

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 04:57:08 PM »
Nathan I have noticed that the sauce does seem to separate a bit upon thawing,but I have found a quick stir seems to incorporate it back together.
Steve yes the cans are a bit wieldy for a home kitchen,I am lucky enough in my house I have a separate room for food stuffs,heck I even have a room for charcoal.
Bortz I think that you will find it is a good tomato product with a nice flavour.It is definitely a superior product than most offerings.Although I cannot speak about escalon because I have been unable as of yet to track down a distributor in Canada(i am working on this ).
The Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce ingredients list is,vine ripen fresh tomatoes,blend of extra virgin and pure olive oil,sunflower oil,salt,oregano,seasonings,garlic and citric acid.
Unfortunately in Canada we are limited on some grocery products,especially pizza making components,but with a little more time spent with some people in the industry I may be able to get soime other goodies.I am currently working on getting some info from a distributor in Toronto on his list of goods,still hoping to find escalon up here.
Aaron