Author Topic: Can't Sell Hawaiian to Pepperoni Lovers  (Read 7723 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Can't Sell Hawaiian to Pepperoni Lovers
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
I've been making pepperoni pizzas and cheese pizzas for my church. I thought I would sell more if I started making more varieties, so I got some ham, onions, pineapple, and ricotta and started making Hawaiian pizza.

I thought it was delicious, and people there who like Hawaiian pizza agreed, but those stupid pepperoni pizzas moved, and the Hawaiian didn't.

What is wrong with people? The pepperoni version is really good, but how can anyone not love Hawaiian pizza?

I think maybe the problem is that Hawaiian toppings go better on thin pizza, and I'm doing Sicilian.

Online jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Can't Sell Hawaiian to Pepperoni Lovers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
The pepperoni version is really good, but how can anyone not love Hawaiian pizza?

Because Hawaiian pizza is not real pizza! Further, anyone that makes pizza w/ ham and pineapple should take long look at themselves and why they are making pizza in the first place. Give me a break!

Jeff

P.S. That was just a joke for tdeane...  :angel:  :-D
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
Try bacon instead of the ham.  bet that will move.  also,  I'd lose the riccotta.  -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
Using a good sausage in lieu of the ham might also help sales.

Peter

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
Ham and pineapple on a pizza is sacrilege...and I tell my father-in-law exactly that each time I make it for him.  I'd lose that ricotta as well.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline waynesize

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »
Pineapple and pizza do not belong in the same room!  Just say no!  Okay, I feel better now :P

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »
I used a combination of fresh and canned pineapple, a spicy sausage and pepperoni on the pizza shown at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1707.msg15310.html#msg15310. The style was American but I don't see why the results won't be similar on a Sicilian style pizza. As noted in the above post, "I thought the sauce and toppings were very complementary and harmonious, with pleasing contrasts of sweetness, saltiness, heat and spice."

Peter

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:39 AM »
I love Hawaiian pizza. I will not countenance vile remarks directed toward this marvelous creation. I'm not listening! I'm not listening!

And ricotta is good on EVERYTHING, as far as I know. I may start putting it in my oatmeal.

I never considered bacon and pineapple, but then, bacon IS the most perfect food except for pizza.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »
Try some linguica or longaniza sausage instead of ham. Also, TJ's sells a chile-encrusted pineapple that is popular among some misguided family members who like this kind of pie.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:18:35 AM »
Dude.....you want to sell pizzas or what?  Lose the ricotta and use a good ham and fresh sweet pineapple.  Don't even dare and use canned pineapple.  Big difference there. :)

And for you pineapple haters, it belongs on pizza more than ricotta! ;) Try putting ricotta on your pepperoni pies and see if they sell.  Ricotta belongs in lasagna not pizza.  :P

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
Ricotta is the cheese of the angels. It belongs everywhere. And there is no way I'm slicing up pineapples in addition to my other chores. If they can't appreciate canned pineapple, fresh pineapple is not going to make a difference.

Offline fab

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 02:07:21 PM »
Ricotta is the cheese of the angels. It belongs everywhere. And there is no way I'm slicing up pineapples in addition to my other chores. If they can't appreciate canned pineapple, fresh pineapple is not going to make a difference.

YES, there are very good canned pineapple

Offline sear

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
Pineapple and pizza do not belong in the same room!  Just say no!  Okay, I feel better now :P

i agree :) , the ham and onion is not the problem with the pizza moving... its the pineapple !

And for you pineapple haters, it belongs on pizza more than ricotta! ;) Try putting ricotta on your pepperoni pies and see if they sell.  Ricotta belongs in lasagna not pizza.  :P

C'mon its Cheese vs fruit , fruit belongs on there more than cheese ?  :P

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »
This is an old thread but still makes for a good discussion.  Here is how you make a really good pineapple pizza.

Fry up some hot breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean in the one pound packages.  Add more crushed red peppers to make it hotter.  Now get a can of sliced pineapple in HEAVY syrup.  It must be in heavy syrup to have a very very sweet pineapple.  Use cheese of choice but Mozzarella is the best for this pizza.

No onions or peppers but if you insist presalt them for awhile before adding to the pizza.

It is of course the very sweet and the very hot sausage combination that makes this a winner.  These are always a huge hit.

Randy

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
Sounds good, Sweet and hot.

I've had some bad pineapple and ham pizza before, it's big in England.

Allot of it is to do with balance of the toppings, too much either way and it's really bad, you gotta get it just right, I for one don't like it that much to try and work out the percentage proportions of both toppings but funnily enough I had a sample piece at whole foods yesterday that made me go "Hmmm not bad"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
What Randy says is correct. I followed his advice on the use of sausage with pineapple (I also used pepperoni) and it was a winning combination, as I noted at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1707.msg15310.html#msg15310.

Peter

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »
Being a pescatarian, the ham, pepperoni, etc are not viable options for me.

I have been tinkering with pineapple, perhaps far too much, lately.

The combination of cold smoked mozzarella, fior-di-latte, red onion, sea salt, fresh pineapple and fresh mint, with a wee bit of cracked black pepper is pretty good. I still think pineapple is a little too sweet and a little too "wet" for pizza.....so I have been slicing the pineapple super thin and have teamed up this topping combination on my square pizza ("Sicilian") to mitigate the moisture.

It's as close as I think I am gonna get to getting pineapple balanced on a pizza without adding some type of salumi. I prefer the fresh mint (post-bake), but fresh sage (post bake) is a nice touch too....although some fresh rosemary added pre-bake and cooked with the pie may take the best of show. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Crider

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 10:48:33 PM »
Try a King Kamehameha pizza.

It uses a thick teryaki sauce, then a sprinkling of coconut, add some chopped greeb bell pepper, pineapple chunks, pulled pork that has been dry fried a bit (twice-cooked) and top with fresh moz. The teryaki sauce must be thick or it gives a gumline.

Offline RichPugh

• I'll bet you $1 I can get you to gamble today...
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »
Being a pescatarian, the ham, pepperoni, etc are not viable options for me.

Hah... wouldn't have guessed you were pescatarian... as am I ;)

I always only use room temp pineapple, fresh cut, cored and drained (even after I core and cube it, if its been refrigerated, I try to let it get to room temp before eating or topping a pizza). I've been able to "salt down" the pineapple with asiago and chevre. It brings down the sweetness without removing the flavor of the pineapple. It's a hard habit to break, enjoying pineapple on pizza, LOL.

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 07:33:28 AM »
When we use pinapple we ONLY use fresh. There is a night and day difference between any canned pinapple and fresh. If you aren't getting a good sweet fresh one, then you need to make sure you are finding a ripe one (where all the eyes are the same size and not green much at all)

A good combination that we really like to use is prosciutto, red onion, and fresh pinapple sliced pretty thin (about 1/8").. The sauce is san marzano tomatoes spiced up with some red pepper.

Even though this thread is old, to the OP; why not try pepperoni and fresh pineapple? This combination gives you the salty, sweet, and spicy combination as well and tastes very good actually.   
- Rich