Author Topic: Lehmann NY 1st attempt  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Lehmann NY 1st attempt
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:43:50 PM »
I decided to try the Lehmann dough out tonight.  It turned out ok other than the bubbles.  I didn't catch them because I don't like opening the door at all for at least the first 5 minutes and I have no window in my oven.

I made the dough last night using Pete-ZZa's formula for 21oz. of dough (16") using no sugar.  I used KASL flour, SAF IDY yeast, 70 degree water for finished dough at 79 degrees.  It kneaded in the Kitchenaid for a total of 10 minutes (which I think may have been too long).  I put it in the refrigerator overnight (19 hours) then let it sit on my counter for an hour and a half while I heated the oven to 530 degrees.  The dough wasn't cold at all so I don't think that was what caused the bubbles.  ???  I used a sauce (8 ounces) that I mentioned earlier in another thread (notice the water on the bottom of the slice).  The last time I thawed some of this sauce it seemed watery tasting but it didn't look watery.  This time I stirred it a quite a bit before I put it on the dough, but as soon as I started putting it on it started seperating.  It's the recipe off Escalon's site using Bonta and 6in1's.  I used a 50/50 blend of mozzarella and provolone cheese (12 ounces).

"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: Lehmann NY 1st attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 09:44:18 PM »
2nd pic

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 09:44:47 PM »
3rd pic

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 09:47:08 PM »
4th pic

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 10:12:57 PM »
Nathan,
First of all, that pizza doesn't look too darn bad at all - particularly on your first try!  You might need to make a few small adjustments to get where you want to go, but I doubt your problems are anything serious at all.  I would agree with you that you might want to shorten your mixing time and, it's better for the refrigeration to exceed 24 hours rather than be short of it.  Lately, I have gone to a 48 hour refrigeration and have been very pleased with the results.  Thanks for sharing your pictures and keep up the great work.
Friz

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 10:52:22 PM »
Nathan,

I fully agree with friz.

From my experience, diagnosing the cause of bubbling is one of the most difficult tasks because every situation is different. Usually, bubbling occurs for the following reasons: 1.) Too much or too little yeast; 2.) Too little fermentation; 3.) The dough is too cold (below 50 degrees F, typically); 4.) The oven is too hot; or 5.) If docking is used, it was used incorrectly or insufficiently. You might look at these possibilities but from what you said you seem to have done most of the things right. Tom Lehmann doesn't absolutely require 24 or more hours of refrigeration, but it seems from the feedback I have gotten that 24 hours or more works best for most members, just as friz has mentioned.

Apart from the bubbling, how did the pizza taste?

Peter

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 03:22:52 AM »
Nathan,
Usually I am the defender of char. But in your case I see that you have plenty.

I always appreciate a good amount of char. There is a taste difference between char and bitter burn but most folks seem to think that they are the same. Consequently they tend to shy away from char and opt for less char and attendent crunch with a blonde crust ambition in life. They are so close yet so far away.

If I were pressed to describe the benefits of proper char (sporadic carbonized spots) it would revolve around the area of tactile feedback. A char crunch puts your teeth and brain on notice that something hard is going to be eaten. The fluffy interior layer of the pie sends a conflicting message. By the time you bite into the soft top, well by then your brain is really confused and is on sensory overload and your brain settles in to enjoy one of the few simple pleasures in life.

Nice effort. Don't give up... 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 08:37:36 AM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 10:32:10 AM »
Nathan,

Very good looking pizza. If you don't want your bubbles send them my way, they are a hot commodity at my house, to the point at which my 6 and 4 year old girls have a knock down drag out :o right there in the kitchen.

Offline dankfoot

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 11:29:20 AM »
Can some one please give me the measurement recipe for a single 16' Lehmann dough?
On the recipe section it is only in bulk.

Thanks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 12:00:50 PM »
Dankfoot,

Take a look at Reply #86 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.80.html. I hope soon to start fleshing out the information for the recipe page.

Peter

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 01:50:04 PM »
Hey thanks for all the responses. 

friz78, I think I'm going to try about 5 minutes of kneading next time and see what happens.  Usually I do let the dough ferment at least 24 hours and the longer the better (to a point) for sure.  I like 48-72 even better.  I had to feed my kids though so I was forced to take it out when I did.

Pete-ZZa, the pizza tasted pretty good considering that the sauce was watery.  As for the bubbles, it may have been too little fermentation.  ??? I don't know much about that.  Never really knew what could cause that.

pftaylor, I'm with you on the char thing.  Some people would probably say that my pizza was burnt by looking at it.  But it wasn't.  I never even looked at the bottom of it closely until after I had eaten a piece and was suprised that it was that dark.  I always check the bottom of my crust before taking it out of the oven to make sure it at least has some char to it.

JAG, that's pretty funny.  I don't mind bubbles but these were a little bigger than what I like.

I have been thinking about changing to something different for sauce but I'm kind of in a catch 22 situation here. I buy #10 cans of Escalon and Bonta from my local GFS outlet store.  They're only about $5 each but I always have so much left over I can't use it up fast enough.  Hence the freezing.  I like the flavor of that sauce pretty good but I'd like to find something that isn't as common as that is.  One of these days I'd like to try to figure out how a local sauce is made.  My cousin is a manager at the place and they have some pretty good sauce.  All I know about it for sure is what brand tomatoes they use (Stanislaus) and they also add red wine to it.  It's really good.

I may also use less dough next time.  I was using the regular new york recipe off the main page for a long time and I was doubling or tripling it.  I wasn't keeping notes at all but I think I was using 17-18 ounces of dough for a 16 inch. I had read somewhere (it may have been on this site) that you should use approximately 1oz of dough per inch.  Which now I believe is wrong.

I have never had real NY pizza but everything I have read says that its usually pretty thin in the middle and gets thicker toward the edge.  When I was using less dough with the other recipe that is exactly how it turned out.  I was just having a problem hand tossing it with that little amount of dough.  It kept wanting to rip.  This stretched out with ease and I'm assuming it was because of how much dough I used.  When I was using the other recipe I even tried King Arthurs dough relaxer and it worked pretty good, but instant dry milk powder does the same thing.

Offline dankfoot

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 08:38:29 AM »
Pete-zza,

Thank you.

pizzapan