Author Topic: Potato Focaccia recipe  (Read 2842 times)

Offline tngto

Potato Focaccia recipe
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:14:08 AM »
Hi everyone,
I saw a post with a photo of a potato focaccia made and posted by Malvanova.  The potato focaccia looks so good!  I have been trying to replicate a potato focaccia that an italian friend made when I was growing up.  Her recipe has been lost and I cannot seem to find anything similar.  When I saw Malvanova's photos, it reminded me of her focaccia immediately. I am new to this forum and new to making focaccia, so the percentage formulas are a little confusing to me.  Is there any way anyone or Malvanova might be able to post the recipe for potato focaccia?  The potato focaccia I remember growing up had a very crispy crust, an open crumb and was pretty oily.  It was so good and I really hope to try to replicate it.

Thank you for the help!
tngto
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:21:09 AM by tngto »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Potato Focaccia recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »
Here's an old link I have. Yet another saved item I never tried. Someday. If you try it let us know how it works out.
http://www.chewswise.com/chews/2010/01/really-easy-pizza-jim-lahey.html#more

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »
Apizza,
this may not be the focaccia with potato that tngto was talking about. Traditionally focaccia dough has a boiled potato incorporated in the mix to make it moist.
 It is usually about 1" thick with oil and rosemary on top.

Offline tngto

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »
Apizza,
Thank you for the link. I appreciate you trying to help, but Ninapizza23 was right in saying that the potato focaccia dough that I am referring to is a thicker bread with a boiled potato incorporated into the dough.  It does have oil drizzled on top and you can also put rosemary or tomato pieces on top.  I have found some recipes on other websites and tried to make those, but they are not giving me the texture I am looking for.  I seem to be getting a dense texture when I am trying to achieve a more airy and moist texture.  Thank you for trying though!

tngto

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
In the book "The Italian Baker" by Carol Field there is a recipe for Focaccia alla Pugliese. She describes the focaccia she had in Puglia as dense, breadlike, but light as a cake when you eat it. It was about 1 1/4 inch high. The recipe has 1 1/3 cups of riced, peeled, boiled potatoes. Perhaps your library has the book and you can check out that recipe.

Offline tngto

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »
Apizza,
Thank you so much for the information about "The Italian Baker" by Carol Field.  It sounds like that recipe may be what I am looking for!  I will see if my library has the book.

Thank you again!
tngto

pizzapan