Author Topic: Learning Neapolitan Pizza! HELP!  (Read 4549 times)

Offline bernie516

Learning Neapolitan Pizza! HELP!
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am looking to open a neapolitan style pizzeria in california but have little to no experience in pizza making.   I am currently working at a pizzeria to pick up some experience but was wondering if you folks had any ideas on how I can gain more knowledge?  I'm thinking about learning all I can at this place and perhaps going to Italy to learn more (help here would be appreciated if you know of any places that would take me in!!).

Any books, websites or other materials i should be reading or looking into?

Thanks!! :)

Offline flyboy4ual

Re: Learning Neapolitan Pizza! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
Antica pizza in Marina Del Rey has classes to learn what you need to know.

www.Anticapizzeria.net

Scott

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
AVPN in Naples has started official courses in a proper school setting and with the option of stages in various pizzeria. I think if you are serious about Pizza Napoletana you should consider this option that will also give you the opportunity to learn more about the world of pizza napoetana.

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/eng_formazione.php

Offline bernie516

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:42:02 PM »
Wow thanks for the fast responses! :)

Scott:  have you or anyone you know taken the classes at Antica Pizzeria?  I'd love to hear what you or anyone else that has taken this class have to say about it.  I've heard of them in the past but was/am still a bit hesitant because the classes seem to cost a lot and are not very long.  I'm scared that after a 3 day class and no access to a real wood burning oven or equipment I may forget what I've learned.

pizzanapoletana:  that sounds great.  I mean it's basically the price of the course at Antica Pizzeria.  I am curious as to how much "pizza experience" i should have before considering to take this course though.  I know you mentioned that this is relatively new, but as above, do you know anyone who has taken this course or any feedback about it?

Thanks ! :)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
The course that you would take at Antica is based on what you would take at the one pizzanapoletana linked you to. They are both VPN classes. The VPN holds their class in the Antica Pizzeria, so you would be in a commercial setting while you are learning.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »
Bernie,

I met someone taking the course while I was at Antica for dinner.  He was having a great time and said that he was planning on opening a Pizza place in the near future.   He was from Georgia and came out for a week to take the course.  He made my pizza and it came out perfect!   There are a lot of video's on You tube that show the trainees at Antica.

Try that link and it should lead you to some more video's.  Look up video's by Veracepizza at youtube.

Scott

Offline bernie516

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:42:17 PM »
Thanks.

I'm going to check out those videos and maybe visit the folks at Antica Pizzeria for dinner + more information. :)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 05:32:39 AM »
I would not say that it is the same training you would get in Antica as the one you would get in Naples.

I have met and received feedback from several people that have trained in US only to then later get to Naples and see the discrepancies with their own eyes… On the other hand I believe they are doing as much as a good job is possible from a virtually one man operation over there, however:

Firstly at Antica they do not have an authentic Neapolitan oven and therefore cannot train you on how you should manage it and cook with it (one of the most important things!!!). Most importantly from videos I have seen before (not seen the latest videos and cannot access streaming from this PC), they do not form the disc or skin (as you guys say) properly. I know they have recently got a fork mixer at least (before they use to train on a Planetary), which is a good point.

In Naples, you would attend a proper course with even professors from the University of Naples to cover some scientific aspects. Plus, if you opt for the stage, you will have the chance to work alongside some very good pizzaiuoli in Naples, in possibly very busy pizzerias. The classes are run by the same very experienced pizzaiuoli.

Take for example the Japanese guy you have been viewing on youtube. He trained and possibly worked in Naples for a while to acquire the technique. Compare him to the people that have only trained in US and went on to open and operate pizzeria.. It was fine few years ago when things were extremely difficult and in Naples rarely they run courses (I believe Roberto of Keste came out of one of those earlier courses in Naples), but having had a look at the training plan and having discussed this with the VPN guy in charge of the courses, I believe you would give yourself a better chance if you attend the course in Naples.

Alternatively, I believe Roberto himself now runs courses at his pizzeria in NYC, but again I believe a trip to Naples would be more beneficial.

Myself, as I got increasingly busier and have had less time to cover the training aspects of consultancy over the last year, I have found an agreement with a pizzeria in Naples that I respect greatly, for them to cover that technical training for me for all our recent Forno Napoletano’s clients that also needed training/consultancy.

Most importantly, a course is just a course. Do not expect to come out as a finished pizzaiuolo able to run your own busy pizzeria. But you should at least acquire very a strong base

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 08:49:09 AM »
I would not say that it is the same training you would get in Antica as the one you would get in Naples.

That is why I said "based on" not the "exact same". I said this because I have read what you have said about the discrepancies at Antica.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
robertos methods and anticas methods differ greatly.i have seen both.

Offline bernie516

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 03:41:53 AM »

I have met and received feedback from several people that have trained in US only to then later get to Naples and see the discrepancies with their own eyes… On the other hand I believe they are doing as much as a good job is possible from a virtually one man operation over there, however:

Firstly at Antica they do not have an authentic Neapolitan oven and therefore cannot train you on how you should manage it and cook with it (one of the most important things!!!). Most importantly from videos I have seen before (not seen the latest videos and cannot access streaming from this PC), they do not form the disc or skin (as you guys say) properly. I know they have recently got a fork mixer at least (before they use to train on a Planetary), which is a good point.

In Naples, you would attend a proper course with even professors from the University of Naples to cover some scientific aspects. Plus, if you opt for the stage, you will have the chance to work alongside some very good pizzaiuoli in Naples, in possibly very busy pizzerias. The classes are run by the same very experienced pizzaiuoli.

Take for example the Japanese guy you have been viewing on youtube. He trained and possibly worked in Naples for a while to acquire the technique. Compare him to the people that have only trained in US and went on to open and operate pizzeria.. It was fine few years ago when things were extremely difficult and in Naples rarely they run courses (I believe Roberto of Keste came out of one of those earlier courses in Naples), but having had a look at the training plan and having discussed this with the VPN guy in charge of the courses, I believe you would give yourself a better chance if you attend the course in Naples.

Alternatively, I believe Roberto himself now runs courses at his pizzeria in NYC, but again I believe a trip to Naples would be more beneficial.

Myself, as I got increasingly busier and have had less time to cover the training aspects of consultancy over the last year, I have found an agreement with a pizzeria in Naples that I respect greatly, for them to cover that technical training for me for all our recent Forno Napoletano’s clients that also needed training/consultancy.

Most importantly, a course is just a course. Do not expect to come out as a finished pizzaiuolo able to run your own busy pizzeria. But you should at least acquire very a strong base

Thanks,

I'm heading over to Antica tomorrow for dinner to get an idea of what they do over there, but I"m seriously considering Naples.  I mean, what better reason to leave the country and learn from the source, right?   I just spent a whole evening working the pizza station at the place i'm staging at and it's not really as easy as I thought.  Being a trained chef doesn't prepare you for pizza making, I can tell you that.   It's a different machine.   Overall I think I did pretty well, just a bit more time and practice. :)

Offline bernie516

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 12:07:35 AM »
So I just got back from Antica Pizzeria and wasn't too impressed with their pizzas.  I don't think I'll be going here for training.  Time to start saving up for Italy and other options.

Do any of you know of any good reading material in the meantime?  I read a lot about hydration and ratios here in the forums but would like to get a better understanding on how to utilize them and tweak them for my own settings.

Thanks!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 06:17:50 AM »
So I just got back from Antica Pizzeria and wasn't too impressed with their pizzas.  I don't think I'll be going here for training.  Time to start saving up for Italy and other options.

Do any of you know of any good reading material in the meantime?  I read a lot about hydration and ratios here in the forums but would like to get a better understanding on how to utilize them and tweak them for my own settings.

Thanks!

There's alot of excellent info on this forum in the Neapolitan section, it may take some time for you to go through all the threads to find the right ones but it's well worth it.  I have Antonino Esposito's DVD entitled "Chef della Pizza" which is in my opinion better than any book out there.

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 07:47:09 AM »
There's alot of excellent info on this forum in the Neapolitan section, it may take some time for you to go through all the threads to find the right ones but it's well worth it.  I have Antonino Esposito's DVD entitled "Chef della Pizza" which is in my opinion better than any book out there.

Matt

I have watched his videos on youtube but there are no subs. Does the one you have have sub so you know what he is saying?

Do any of you know of any good reading material in the meantime?

Rosetta Stone:Italian

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »
I've been watching all 28 YouTube of videos from Pizzaiolo Pasquale in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pizzaiolopasquale

Even though I don't understand a word he says, the info in there has been priceless. It seems to me to be the perfect preparation for classes in Naples.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
I have watched his videos on youtube but there are no subs. Does the one you have have sub so you know what he is saying?

Rosetta Stone:Italian

MY DVD has an english version as well, I didn't realize it till I viewed it a few times in Italian which is fine because I am fluent in Italian.

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 09:20:12 AM »
Nice. I want to learn Italian. I went onto his site for the dvd but it says to make a reservation. Where did you get yours from?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 09:53:49 AM »
Nice. I want to learn Italian. I went onto his site for the dvd but it says to make a reservation. Where did you get yours from?

I am friends with the Caputo distributor for Canada & he gave me the DVD that he got from Antimo Caputo.  He also gave me a Caputo t-shirt, hat, apron & a pizzaiolo scarf.

Matt

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
you got the complete KIT....
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 01:17:35 AM »
hear are three different methods shown at antica pizza.

pizzapan