Author Topic: Frozen Dough Feedback  (Read 2889 times)

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Frozen Dough Feedback
« on: March 15, 2005, 10:21:49 PM »
This was my second exeriment in the last month with frozen pizza dough.  I made a pizza last night with dough I had frozen about a week ago.  It was a Lehman NY Style dough that I had frozen after completing a 24 hour refrigeration seven days ago. 

My feedback on this pizza is quite good.  As a matter of fact, I can't say that the pizza lacked any quality characteristics that could be attributed to the freezing of the dough.  As usual, there were a few preparation/cooking techniques that I didn't execute to perfection and that affected the finished product.  But in no way did I sense any lack of quality, taste, or texture from the frozen dough.  After experimenting with frozen dough twice in the last month, I no longer will hesitate to make extra quantities of dough and freeze them for future use.  The length of time the dough is able to remain frozen is a question that I don't have an anwer to at this point, but I do know that the one week timeframe is a very safe one.

Friz

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Frozen Dough Feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 10:29:08 PM »
friz,

My recollection is that Tom Lehmann recommends a 10-15 day window for using frozen dough. Beyond that, you might be able to produce a pizza but the crust may not be quite as good.

Peter

Offline Ian

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:45:58 PM »
Did you freeze the dough in a ball, thaw it and roll/stretch it? Or roll stretch it prior to freezing?

I sometimes roll out dough, make up the pizza and freeze it. When I'm away on business, the family can just pull the pizza from the freezer and bake it frozen - not as good as freshly made but way better than a frozen supermarket product.

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:59:47 PM »
Ian,
I just froze the dough ball.  If my family wants to enjoy one of my pizzas while I'm away, they can defrost the dough ball, dress it themselves and bake it!!   ;D

Offline Ian

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:11:04 PM »
Good point Friz. I do find however that a little pampering while I'm away does pay of when I get back  ;).

Ian

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 12:22:21 PM »
Ian,
Great point.  While my wife doesn't talk to me when I get back from a trip, yours is probably thanking you, in a number of different ways.  That's why I love this forum - learn something new all the time, including marital/family enhancement tips.  Thanks for the feedback pal!
Friz

pizzapan