Author Topic: My version of George Eckrich's Killer Focaccia with Kombucha starter  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Matthew

As I patiently await the arrival of my spiral mixer from Italy, I decided to hone my stretch & fold skills.  This is the perfect formula for those of you who don't have a mixer and/or sour dough culture.  This is by far the best focaccia I have ever had.  The overall flavor was phenomenal; the crumb was super soft & extremely light & airy.  The dough tripled in volume as soon as it went into the oven. 

The details can be seen @ http://chefkeem.com/kitchen/chef-stories/foodie-news/miscellaneous-archives/chef-features/easy-focaccia-bread-recipe-with-flavorful-kombucha-dough-starter

With my version, I substituted the IDY with fresh yeast & did not use any sugar in my poolish.  I also went with an overnight poolish fermentation. (adjusting the amount of yeast accordingly)  For the final dough I substituted the sugar for organic barley malt.

This focaccia absolutely rocked!!!!  It requires a bit of work but it's well worth it.

Matt
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:33:29 PM by Matthew »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: My version of George Eckrich's Killer Focaccia with Kombucha starter
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
Matt,

Great job, bro!

She's a beauty. Looks professionally done!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:23:16 AM »
Matt,

Great job, bro!

She's a beauty. Looks professionally done!

Thanks brother,
Appreciate it! ;)

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »
As I patiently await the arrival of my spiral mixer from Italy, I decided to hone my stretch & fold skills.  This is the perfect formula for those of you who don't have a mixer and/or sour dough culture.  This is by far the best focaccia I have ever had.  The overall flavor was phenomenal; the crumb was super soft & extremely light & airy.  The dough tripled in volume as soon as it went into the oven. 

The details can be seen @ http://chefkeem.com/kitchen/chef-stories/foodie-news/miscellaneous-archives/chef-features/easy-focaccia-bread-recipe-with-flavorful-kombucha-dough-starter

With my version, I substituted the IDY with fresh yeast & did not use any sugar in my poolish.  I also went with an overnight poolish fermentation. (adjusting the amount of yeast accordingly)  For the final dough I substituted the sugar for organic barley malt.

This focaccia absolutely rocked!!!!  It requires a bit of work but it's well worth it.

Matt

Matt,

Your Focaccia looks fantastic!  :)  Do you mind telling me what kind of flour you used?  Sure could eat a piece of that right now.

I am anxious to hear how your spiral mixer works.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:36:18 AM »
Matt,

Your Focaccia looks fantastic!  :)  Do you mind telling me what kind of flour you used?  Sure could eat a piece of that right now.

I am anxious to hear how your spiral mixer works.

Norma

Hi Norma,
Thank you.  The flour is from a mill in Toronto.  It is their special bread mix comprised of white unbleached western hard wheat, VWG, & diastic malt flour.  I asked them the amounts that they used but they couldn't tell me......it's a secret.  I really like this flour because it's all natural & produces a really nice finished product. 
They tell me that the mixer was shipped out from the factory in Italy last week & that it'll be about a month. 

Matt

pizzapan