Author Topic: pizzerias  (Read 2529 times)

Offline artigiano

pizzerias
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
If you only had a day in Naples, which 2 pizzerias are a definite must try.  I will be there in the summer travelling Italy and Greece.  Pizza Napoletana shared his 2 with me, just wondering if anyone else has opinions out of curiousity.

thanks!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: pizzerias
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
gino sorbillo (Three people I know that have hit a bunch of places (including the three below) told me this was their favorite)
salvo (Marcos favorite I think)
Da Michele - the classic benchmark (possibly still using wild yeast?)
Antica Costa (maybe the last still using wild yeast)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:56:16 AM by scott r »

Offline artigiano

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »
Marco likes Salvo's and I definately know that he knows his pizza.  I was thinking of Gino Sorbillo as well but I didn't see either of the 2 in the top 10 when I googled Naples pizzerias.  I know that the forum here would be much more reliable.  I will go to Da Michele and one other... wish I had more time. 

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
I heard that Da Michele is not what it used to be. The son took over management of the pizzeria and some people are not happy about it. I would try Salvo.

Offline artigiano

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:59:02 PM »
Good to know maybe Ill make it Salvo's and Gino's.

Offline Davydd

Re: pizzerias, Naples, Italy if just one opportunity
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »
Ah, timely. I was thinking of asking this very same question when I came into this forum. I will have the opportunity to have a day in Naples, Italy as part of a cruise this coming October. I'll put this question in slightly another way. I assume the pizzas will be authentic and probably all good. So, which pizzeria will be the best for showing off the baking of the pizza, i.e. watching them using the oven, tossing, seating to do so, the overall ambiance, etc.

My best point of reference in the states for what I am looking for is Pizzeria Paradisio on Dupont Circle in Washington, DC where you can sit at a bar on stools in front of the oven and watch the entire show.
Davydd

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:18:15 AM »
Da Michele do not use wild yeast, they just do one of the best dough in the world (long fermentation and high hydration) Only problem at Da Michele is the busy hours and lack of attention to details when busy. To eat their best possible pizza, go at 11 AM. There are several partners and it has been like this for years, three of Michele's sons (RIP - now in their 70-80's, and their sons and grandsons)

Salvo does a similar dough but more attention to details, 99.9% of the times.

Gino Sorbillo: I have listed him very often between my top 5-10 (and still is). IMO Americans prefer it as his pizza has a dryer topping feeling but although the dough is very light and tasty, is somehow not conform with the neapolitan tradition being on the crispier outside type and not as melt in the mouth as Da Michele or Salvo. If I were you and in a party of more then 1, I would share a pizza at da michele at 11 AM and then hit Gino's at 12.20 to share one more (10 minutes walking distance, albeit fast walking), and then hit Salvo's (via taxi or train) in the evening.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »
Marco, this is right in line with the reports from my friends that preferred Gino Sorbillo.   The comments were that other high end naples pizzerias were a bit to soupy, and sometimes under baked, while Gino Sorbillo was more in line with an American ideal of the perfect pizza while still retaining all the wonders of a Neapolitan pizza.

So does this mean Antica Costa is the only other pizzeria in Naples using wild yeast now?  Sad to hear that Da Michele has really gone to commercial yeast.    I think there may be one other pizzeria using Wild yeast in naples, but I forget which one.     

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:11:40 AM »
Guys, thanks for the tips. I will be traveling with the family to Naples for two/three days this summer. Our travel agent suggests staying in Sorento rather than Naples for safety reasons? He has my wife concerned?? recommendations for staying in Naples?

Any more thoughts or suggestions on outings, pizzerias, etc.. Are there any days/times the high end pizzerias are closed.

Marco, curious why the pizza at Da Michele would be best at 11:00 am. Assuming its the fermentation time from overnight whereas the dough used later in the evening is from the same day??

Do Da Michele and Salvo use commercial yeast in lieu of wild?

Optimally, what times would you recommend visiting the pizzeria's?
Russ

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:22:55 AM »
PR,   It has nothing to do with safety, but next time I go back to Naples im staying in Sorrento again.   I agree with your travel agent.    Sorrento is the perfect central location that makes it easy to see naples, pompeii, capri, and some of the amazing coastal towns nearby such as positano and amalfi.   What an amazing place!!!!!

If you want the full city experience I wouldn't worry about your safety in Naples.   Just make sure you are ready to eat.....a LOT!

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:08:50 AM »
Scott,

Da Michele's dough still blow off of the water most wild yeast dough around the world. One day I will cover in full the reasons, but in the main time you just have to trust me on that ;-). Again, As I still like it, I actually believe that Gino's pizza do not retain all the wonders of pizza napoletana and therefore it should be one of many other tasted but not the only one or one of two. I was in Naples last week and a senior guy at VPN was actually described Gino's pizza as almost not neapolitan...

Anyway, there are more then 500 pizzeria in Naples City Centre. Another 1000 in the immediate province and several more thousands around Campania. There are surely many other less known pizzeria that use wild yeast (Antica Costa would have stayed less known if it wasn't for me covering it on this and other forums), but over the whole number, they are surely a small minority. Also, as wild yeast is very difficult to use in a commercial setting pizzeria without creating disasters, a wild yeast pizza is not necessarily better then a good commercial yeast's one. The secret is in how you use either. Brandi use wild yeast, but still makes one of the worst pizza in Naples among  the well known places. Antica Pizzeria Pepe in Caserta (VPN member), is also known to use wild yeast. I have also started conversation with a senior VPN member that wants us to replace his oven and has also asked me to work on his dough. If I get my way, one of the most prestigious place in Naples will go back to wild yeast soon....

PR,

First and foremost at 11 am they are not yet busy, but the oven start being at the right temperature and they pay attention to your pizza all the way to the plate. When busy, this does not happen. Also do not go for double mozzarella (doppia) as this will cause more water released on the pizza, probably not to the American liking. Where American see soggy, we see freshness and ingredients not stressed and at their maximum. For us the tomatoes needs to taste just like tomatoes, not like a cooked sauce or dry stuff that would be caused by cooking the pizza longer...

So Da Michele at 11,  Gino Sorbillo at 12.30 to 13.00 or in between you could visit Antica Costa (2 mins walk from Da Michele). Evenings, before going back to Sorrento, go to Salvo's.

About safety:

Naples is not the most tourist friendly of the big Italian city (Florence is probably the best there), but can be OK visiting the city as far as you keep a low profile (no gold watched, big cameras on the neck, etc..) leave those things in the hotel safe, especially in the evenings).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:11:20 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 07:13:17 AM »
If you have the time, go to Paestum to see Greek Temples from 600 BC. It's not to long of a drive from Sorrento. A great restaurant in Sorrento is Da Emilia, at 62 Via Marina Grande. The best Spaghetti Alle Vongole I ever had. They let us into the kitchen to see it being prepared. We went there 3 times for lunch. --- Mel

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
Scott,

Thanks all for the input. You just confirmed Sorrento as the place to stay. I understand it is quite beautiful. We will definitely hit the hot spots of Naples during the day.

Marco

I was a little unsure as to whether we would get a great product at lunch due to the oven temps, but appreciate the insight. I was wondering how to fit all the pizzerias in our limited time and didn't really think of lunch as a viable option.

Vitoduke, I  I know it will be hard to pace myself, with so many incredible places to try. Hopefully, I will be able to see the sights and walk off all the great food. I'll put it on our list.
Russ

Offline artigiano

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
Thanks Marco,  very good information and clarity.  I dont think there will be a problem making it 3 stops with your recommendations.  I would stay longer in the city but we will just be passing through for the day and I am really looking forward to it.

BTW - how long are we talking about with Da Michele's fermentation time?

grazie,
Alessandro
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:52:09 PM by artigiano »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »
. Here is a video of Sorbillo

Offline sear

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
i dont understand how American pizza is criticized for too much toppings.
and in italy they are putting a pile of basil in the middle of the pie and thats superior ?

is the basil not to be eaten there ? why not break it up and space it evenly to flavor each slice
 ???

yes im new here too

Offline artigiano

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »
Have you tried both?  I mean both by something authentic like being in a pizzeria in Italy or at least a VPN pizzeria in the states.  Freshness is key.. something most american pizzerias are not able to deliver in my opinion.  As far as the basil goes a couple leaves that compliment the tomatoes on the pizza shouldn't be seen as a pile of leaves.  I guess everyone feels their own way.  Just like I wonder how could anyone think of pumping poor quality cheese into the greasy crust and then dipping their pizzas in ranch sauce?  I guess its all a matter of taste Sear... just keep in mind which pizza will be better for your heart.

Alessandro
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:12:03 AM by artigiano »