Author Topic: How Much Dough in Bosch Universal Plus?  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Puzzolento

How Much Dough in Bosch Universal Plus?
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »
The Kitchenaid KA-5 I was using to make dough at my church was pretty sad, so I ordered a Bosch Universal Plus with a stainless bowl. I'll be using it tonight.

Bosch users: what is the maximum amount of dough, in pounds, you would make in one batch? Hydration would be in the high 50s. My pizzas require exactly one pound of dough each.

Offline Bob1

Re: How Much Dough in Bosch Universal Plus?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
Puzzolento,
I do not have one but this site says 12lbs.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bosch_universal.aspx

Bob

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
I wonder if the steel and plastic bowls are different sizes?   I only have the plastic one.   

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:49:11 AM »
I read various things about the capacities of the bowls, and I finally decided stainless was better even if the capacity was the same.

The Kitchenaid has a hard time with three pounds of dough, so if I can get anywhere close to ten pounds, I'll be in heaven.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:21:20 AM »
I read various things about the capacities of the bowls, and I finally decided stainless was better even if the capacity was the same.

The Kitchenaid has a hard time with three pounds of dough, so if I can get anywhere close to ten pounds, I'll be in heaven.

Please post your initial impressions of the dough characteristics and methods.  I'm about to pull the trigger on one.  Don't know what I'm waiting for really. 

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:03 AM »
My plan is to dump yeast and water in the bowl, add the dry ingredients, and turn it on the highest possible setting. We'll see how it works.

I don't process dough long enough to knead it. I just mix the wet stuff in.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 12:00:18 PM »
From what I have found the highest possible setting on a bosch is really too fast (I use the lowest setting), but don't let me stop you from experimentation. 

It sounds like you just plan on using the bosch to combine, then do a hand mix, but if you want to try a full mix I have found that something close to 8-10 minutes on low is about right depending on a few different factors.  Dryer dough, non bromated flours, lower gluten flours, and highly packed mixers tend to need the longer mix time.

With every other home mixer I ever tried hand mixing always won, but now with the Bosch I have found that the machine mixes a better dough than I can.   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:02:36 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »
Bosch users: what is the maximum amount of dough, in pounds, you would make in one batch? Hydration would be in the high 50s. My pizzas require exactly one pound of dough each.

So far the largest batch I have made in my Bosch universal plus with the plastic bowl is an 11 pound batch.   I found that with a batch that size I could not fit all the ingredients in the mixer if they were all put in at the same time.   To get around this I put in all the ingredients that could fit and had to leave out some of the flour.   I turned the machine on for a few seconds which compacted the ingredients.  After that initial short mix there was enough room to fit the remaining flour in there.   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:10:27 PM by scott r »

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »
It sounds like you just plan on using the bosch to combine, then do a hand mix

I gave up all efforts at kneading, and the pizza quality is as good or better than before, so I all I do is get the ingredients mixed and divide the dough into portions.

I am hoping I can get away with using IDY that has not been mixed with water. That will knock a step off the prep list. It worked for me at home, but I was mixing dough by hand. I assume the Bosch will do a better job than I did.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »
Yes, you can just throw the IDY in there.  There is no need to hydrate.    If you are using tiny amounts you might want to stir or whisk the salt into the water, then put some flour in the mixer, then put the idy on top of that.   Forgive me if I am confusing you with another one of our newer members,  but if I recall correctly you are using quite a lot of yeast for a fast rise.   If so you can definitely just throw it all in there.   

You could also just try turning on the Bosch for 8 minutes to compare what that does to a non kneaded recipe.   I really think you are going to prefer the results!

Good luck puzzolento!  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:35:21 PM by scott r »

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 12:50:57 PM »
I used to knead the dough more thoroughly, but it seemed to give a tighter and more uniform structure, which I didn't like as much.

The best crusts I've made were leavened by making the dough and then folding dry yeast into it very crudely. Surprised me. I want to go in early today so I can make a test batch with the Bosch, adding dry yeast at the end.

Tomorrow I'll be able to report on the Bosch.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:50 AM »
The Bosch arrived with a damaged part, but I was able to use it.

My first batch was nine pounds of dough. I added the water, then the yeast, and then the dry ingredients. I believe I used the motor to mix the yeast into the water, but I saw no way to get the dry stuff in with the motor running, so I added it and went from a dead start.

The mixer handled it fine, although it labored when the dough came together. I took the dough out a little earlier than I should have, and I had some inconsistency in the hydration. Nothing that was noticeable in the pizza, however. Thin pizza would have been a different story.

I don't know how you're supposed to get 14 pounds of dough into this thing. I made a mess with 9. It filled the bowl. I guess you could add ingredients as you go.

My second batch was six pounds of dough. I let the dough process a little longer, and it was more consistent than the first batch.

Cleanup was a breeze compared to the Kitchenaid. Not even in the same universe of effort. The Bosch cleans dough off the inside of the bowl as it works. The Kitchenaid hook leaves a tremendous amount of stubborn dough.

The sucker feet worked great, but the top tended to pop off while the machine was running. I assume I didn't do a good job of fastening it.

This thing is fantastic for producing large amounts of dough. It made my evening so much easier, I can't express it. I used it twice to do a job that would have required five runs with the Kitchenaid. Each run was a little more effort, because I had to weigh so much stuff, but it more than paid off on the back end. My workstation was cleaner and neater, and I got out of the church much faster.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
Thanks for the update. Did you notice a difference in the quality of the dough compared to the KA and did that translate into a better crumb in the pizza?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:13:34 AM »
puzzolento, this is great news that the bosch was a help, but I think some of the issues you are having will go away once you get accustomed to your mixer.

When you are putting the lid on you need to push and turn counter clockwise to lock it closed.   If it is situated right you will feel it click into place.   Once it is locked there is no way for flour to fly out of the mixer.

You should have no problem getting 11 pounds of dough in there.   You just have to do the addition of the flour in two stages.  Whatever you do do NOT try to add anything with the top off!  Add everything from the recipe and as much flour as will fill up the bowl and turn it on until a dough forms.  That should take a minute or less.   TURN OFF the bosch, add in the remaining flour, close the top and turn it back on.   

I know you are not into a kneaded dough, but if you were pulling it out before it was all incorporated you were pulling the dough out WAY too early.    This machine really benefits from an autolyse even if you are just looking to combine.  If you try to mix a dryer dough (hydration anywhere in the 50's) its important to let the flour hydrate for a while just after all the flour is combined in the mixer.   I do a 20 minute rest before I begin the early stages of combining/mixing, but I suppose even a 5 minute rest at this stage would probably be sufficient.   If you try to mix a dryer dough without a rest period the dough is just going to spin around the machine and not really combine/mix (which is probably what happened to you).   Now I see why you were planning on a high speed mix.....you probably thought it would force the dough to combine faster, but with this machine the faster speed is still just going to spin the dough mass around the bowl rather than actually combine things properly.   

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »
The second time around, the dough mixed just fine, and even the first batch of dough made perfect pizza.

I can't add 20 minutes or even 5 to my busy schedule, even if it makes the dough sprout wings and fly. I got the Bosch to save time and work, and I would be losing ground if I started adding time needlessly. I could see trying it your way at home, where time isn't a problem. But I don't see myself laying out $500 for a home mixer any time soon!

The pizzas were absolutely great, so for my purposes, I didn't pull the dough out early.

If I need to go over 9 pounds, I'll remember your suggestions. Ten pounds is about the practical limit for me, since I have to divide the dough and put it in pans before it dries up. If I get some helpers, more dough would work.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
I just made a 12.5 pound batch of dough in the bosch universal plus with the plastic bowl that it ships with!  I figured I would get this on the forum for anyone interested.  

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
Scott was that your go to recipe ? could you share please.  HG flour right?  I love large batches thats why I got this thing  ;D
Thanks alot !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »
John, I actually never use high gluten flour any more.  Im trying to stay away from the bromate, and the only high gluten flours I really like are bromated (which softens the chew up a bit).   I think that bread flour has plenty of gluten, and I often go lower (with 00 flours, or harvest king which is 1/2 way between bread flour and all purpose).   This was harvest king (also known as better for bread) at 70% hydration, 15% of the flour was made into a 24 hour poolish with fresh bakers yeast, 1% oil 1% honey.   Dough was mixed for 1 minute in the bosch on slow speed, rested for a half hour, mixed for 6 min on low, then another half hour rest, then 6 minutes on low again.   I will be doing four or so stretch and folds (until the dough feels right) over the course of the next few hours, then the dough will be scaled and balled and into the fridge for a few days.   

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
I'm still learning mine but I've discovered the white bowl is much easier to clean than the stainless dough bowl but I love the bottom mounted hook enough to put up with the cleaning.

The last couple of doughs I've made (1 pizza and 1 bread - both high hydration) my timing has been:
(approx)
2 minutes on #1
5 min rest
30 seconds on #2
5 minutes rest
5 seconds on #1
5 minutes rest
repeat the 5 seconds/5 minutes for a total of 4 times.
3 days in the fridge

The dough has been wonderful to manage. 
Always make new mistakes.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 10:42:39 PM »

Scott

I was surprised to see your mix method.  Is this what you recommend for your commercial clients or is this what you do at home?  Am I correct there is a Chau influence in this method or have you been doing this for some time.

Again thanks for pointing me in the Bosch direction; I'm very happy with the quality of the knead.

Bob

pizzapan