Author Topic: Barnaby's Pizza recipe  (Read 13616 times)

Offline dblan9

Re: Barnaby's Pizza recipe
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 08:59:09 PM »
TMTM
I just made Philip Johnsons recipe this evening and it was close but it seemed more dry than Barnabys. The flavor is close and I plan to make your recipe in the next coming days.  I still go to the Barnabys in Northbrook and the one thing my wife and I love about the Barnabys crust is the buttery flavor of it, the outside crust looks moist and tastes buttery. Do you seem to achieve this in your recipe?  I noticed that even though I rolled mine out pretty thin, it wasn't thin enough.  You say you use a wooden spoon to mix the dry ingredients, doe sthat mean you do not use the Kitchen Aid as Philip johnson did?  Most of my great grandmothers recipes dont turn out today because we all use electric mixers vs her hands.  I always have to ask now to make sure that isn't a problem. 

Offline TMTM

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 11:43:57 PM »
dblan9 - The only thing I didn't like in Phillip Johnson's recipe is the coarse cornmeal.. and just use fine cornmeal. My recipe is based on Phillips and changed to my own taste. I cook my pizza on a stone. I mix my dough by hand with a wooden spoon and with my hands and fist.. i just punch the dough and fold it over and punch and mix it together by hand until it looks well mixed.. i don't like to make the mixer all messy for one dough ball or 2. I based my recipe on Mishawaka Barnaby's pizza which was thicker then NorthBrooks but still considered a thin pizza.. with business trips to the Northbrook area i finally got to try theirs.. and my recent trip to Mishawaka Barnaby's I found out they have switched back to the original recipe and now it comes out just like Northbrooks.. I liked the little bit thicker pizza they made because that's what i was used to... I have tried rolling out my dough very thin to try to acheive the thin NorthBrook thickeness.. it didn't come out the same. When I make it my way.. I pinch up a bigger edge then Northbrooks and it cooks up nice and crispy and crunchy.. my favor part of the pizza i make. While I like how my recipe comes out I know its not exactly like Barnaby's but I enjoy it. One thing I noticed at Barnaby's Northbrook and now at Mishawaka is they don't roll out the dough as each pizza is made.. all the crust are pre made and sitting on trays.. and the crust stay flat.. no raising..this could give us some clues... also the crust may be drying out a bit to get the crust a more crispy and crunchy outcome.. you sais something about buttery flavor.. maybe they add butter or maybe its the corn flavor.. all we can do is experiment and have fun trying until someone who has worked there helps us out hehe.

Offline mellowmtm

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »

I remember walking into the Northbrook location and hearing the manager tell an older woman that a lot of the Barnaby's menu items are inspired by two chefs, Antoinette and Francois Pope. If you can find there recipe for tomato sauce, I'm sure with some tweaking you can get it to taste like Barnaby's. Now I just gotta find that recipe.
 On another note, I remember someone telling me the crust is made from sourdough. 
  :pizza:

Offline Scooter57

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
I worked at a Barnabys in Milwaukee, WI in the Early to mid 70's
I actually made the pizza dough
Ingredients:
General Purpose Flour (weighed) - forgot actual weight used per batch
Corn Oil - 5 parts
Olive Oil - 1 part - can't remember if it was virgin olive oil
Salt - 3 oz. (volume) per batch
Sugar - 3 Oz. (volume) per batch
Peletized yeast - 1 cup per batch - add to clean pan with one gallon water (lukewarm water) - allow to activate till it foams up on the top
Add all ingredients - Mix and knead thouroughly
Place blended mixture in a tub of some sorts and cover with a damp cloth
The dough will rise
I am not sure what a batch was but I seem to remember that we made it in 50# batches
Sure do miss the place as it was torn down in the early 80's and now is a Denny's restaurant
Sure hope this helps !!!!!

Offline TMTM

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 09:58:51 PM »
I worked at a Barnabys in Milwaukee, WI in the Early to mid 70's
I actually made the pizza dough
Ingredients:
General Purpose Flour (weighed) - forgot actual weight used per batch
Corn Oil - 5 parts
Olive Oil - 1 part - can't remember if it was virgin olive oil
Salt - 3 oz. (volume) per batch
Sugar - 3 Oz. (volume) per batch
Peletized yeast - 1 cup per batch - add to clean pan with one gallon water (lukewarm water) - allow to activate till it foams up on the top
Add all ingredients - Mix and knead thouroughly
Place blended mixture in a tub of some sorts and cover with a damp cloth
The dough will rise
I am not sure what a batch was but I seem to remember that we made it in 50# batches
Sure do miss the place as it was torn down in the early 80's and now is a Denny's restaurant
Sure hope this helps !!!!!
How long do they let it rise before use? Does it get refrigerated? Basically what happens to the dough after its made.. how long does it set out at room temp and refrigerated etc. Have you been to Northbrook, IL's Barnaby's recently? was your pizza like theirs?

Do you make the pizza yourself at home with the knowledge you have now of it? if so.. what is your at home recipe to make one dough ball/ 1 pizza
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:01:57 PM by TMTM »

Offline gns67

• When in Austin, TX try Mangia Chicago style pizza
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »

I remember walking into the Northbrook location and hearing the manager tell an older woman that a lot of the Barnaby's menu items are inspired by two chefs, Antoinette and Francois Pope. If you can find there recipe for tomato sauce, I'm sure with some tweaking you can get it to taste like Barnaby's. Now I just gotta find that recipe.
 On another note, I remember someone telling me the crust is made from sourdough. 
  :pizza:

Antoinette and Francois Pope's son Frank was the president of the Barnaby's chain as referenced here....

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-05-27/entertainment/9305270350_1_cooking-methods-typing-recipes-cookbooks

Like many of you, this is one of my all time favorite pizzas.  Every time I go home I load up a cooler with par bakes to bring back to Austin. 

A good friend of mine worked at the Northbrook location when we were in high school.  He is still friends with the owner.  I think I'm gonna go undercover next time I'm home, head over there with my friend and see what I can learn.