Author Topic: LA FEDE DOP tomatoes or LA VALLE DOP tomatoes??  (Read 3016 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
LA FEDE DOP tomatoes or LA VALLE DOP tomatoes??
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
I was searching for some Cento D.O.P. San Marzano tomatoes to try in a pie I want to make tomorrow.  My local Italian store didnít carry them.  I was wondering if anyone has tried these LA FEDE DOP tomatoes with basil or LA VALLE DOP tomatoes with basil?  Are they really DOP and do you think they would be worth a try on the pizza?  Does anyone have any ideas about adding spices?

Thanks,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Matthew

Re: LA FEDE DOP tomatoes or LA VALLE DOP tomatoes??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:17 PM »
I was searching for some Cento D.O.P. San Marzano tomatoes to try in a pie I want to make tomorrow.  My local Italian store didnít carry them.  I was wondering if anyone has tried these LA FEDE DOP tomatoes with basil or LA VALLE DOP tomatoes with basil?  Are they really DOP and do you think they would be worth a try on the pizza?  Does anyone have any ideas about adding spices?

Thanks,

Norma

Hi Norma,
If they are labelled & stamped as such they should be just fine.  I could be wrong, but the 00 flour that you have looks like it's for pastry & pasta.  If it is it may not work very well for pizza.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:13:39 PM »
Hi Norma,
If they are labelled & stamped as such they should be just fine.  I could be wrong, but the 00 flour that you have looks like it's for pastry & pasta.  If it is it may not work very well for pizza.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for letting me know you think the tomatoes will be okay.  :)  The Italian grocery store did sell Caputo but they have stopped selling it.  That is why I purchased the Delverde.  I mixed the Delverde with some Pillsbury Balancer high-gulten bromated flour that I had left over for awhile.  Will see how that turns out.   ::)
Do you season your DOP tomatoes before you put them on the pie?

Thanks for your help,

Norma

Online Matthew

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
Matt,

Thanks for letting me know you think the tomatoes will be okay.  :)  The Italian grocery store did sell Caputo but they have stopped selling it.  That is why I purchased the Delverde.  I mixed the Delverde with some Pillsbury Balancer high-gulten bromated flour that I had left over for awhile.  Will see how that turns out.   ::)
Do you season your DOP tomatoes before you put them on the pie?

Thanks for your help,

Norma

Hi Norma,
When I do, it's just with EVOO, a little salt & basil.

Matt

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:13:35 PM »
I just tried the La Valle for the first time the other day.  I found them at an italian food distributor for half the price of my normal go to DOP tomatoes.  I liked them a lot but felt they needed a little bit of salt to make the flavor pop.  Without it they were pretty flavorless, but the salt made a world of difference.  They will be my new go to.  At $2.60 a can how can they not be?
-Jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
I just tried the La Valle for the first time the other day.  I found them at an italian food distributor for half the price of my normal go to DOP tomatoes.  I liked them a lot but felt they needed a little bit of salt to make the flavor pop.  Without it they were pretty flavorless, but the salt made a world of difference.  They will be my new go to.  At $2.60 a can how can they not be?

shuboyje,

Thanks for telling about the DOP La Velle tomatoes.  Great to hear you also tried them.  That was a good price.  :) I will add salt when I use them. 

Thanks for the advise,

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »
I prefer the La Fede over th Lavelle. I have tried them all(all most)! I have this addiction whenever I see a can of something I have not seen or tried I buy it as you can see by the tomatoes cabinet ;D  I have yet to try the Carmlina or Le Squisita? so many tomatoes so little pie's :pizza: I just hand crush DOP's and if anything add touch of penzey pizza seasonings but not sure the real VPN Neapolitan rules add anything? Most the NY style lover feel just tomatoes are a bit bland but I like the "Just tomato" sauce for the WFO Let us know what you think yes the 00 you have is likely for pastry and pasta? But I try those also when I find em
John
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:16:42 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:31:46 PM »
I prefer the La Fede over th Lavelle. I have tried them all(all most)! I have this addiction whenever I see a can of something I have not seen or tried I buy it as you can see by the tomatoes cabinet ;D  I have yet to try the Carmlina or Le Squisita? so many tomatoes so little pie's :pizza: I just hand crush DOP's and if anything add touch of penzey pizza seasonings but not sure the real VPN Neapolitan rules add anything? Most the NY style lover feel just tomatoes are a bit bland but I like the "Just tomato" sauce for the WFO Let us know what you think yes the 00 you have is likely for pastry and pasta? But I try those also when I find em
John

John,

LOL..you sure do have a addiction to trying new sauces or tomatoes.  :-D  I am sure with all the pizzas you make at sometime you will use all of them.  You sure are well stocked!  :) 

Thanks for telling me what you add to the sauce and what brand you prefer.  Since I am not making a true Neapolitan pizza, I don't have to worry about everything being right with VPN.

I will see how the Delverde works out with the high-gluten flour.

Thanks,

Norma

Online Matthew

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 05:55:39 AM »
I prefer the La Fede over th Lavelle. I have tried them all(all most)! I have this addiction whenever I see a can of something I have not seen or tried I buy it as you can see by the tomatoes cabinet ;D  I have yet to try the Carmlina or Le Squisita? so many tomatoes so little pie's :pizza:

John,
Be careful or next thing you know you'll have the film crew from TLC showing up at your place wanting to film an episode of hoarders! :D

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »
I tried this dough formulation to make this pie with the DOP tomatoes http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,504.msg10575.html#msg10575

Although I didnít have access to All Trump flour or the Caputo flour, I tried Delvere Farnia ď00" flour mixed with Pillsbury Balancer High-Gluten flour.  I mixed the ingredients by hand.  The dough was left to cold ferment for 24 hrs. after mixing. 

The dough was okay to open, but seemed a little dry.  I should have added more water when mixing the dough. 

The pie was dressed LA FEDE DOP tomatoes which I drained and used the blender to pulse mix.  I added a blend of fresh herbs that I microwaved mixed with olive oil and sea salt.  I used fresh mozzarella and a mix of mozzarella that I added half way though the bake, fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and fresh basil leaves. 

I must say this was one of the worst pies I have tasted or made recently.  The crust was too dry and tasted like cardboard.   :(

If I try this kind of pie again, I will look for some Caputo flour and monitor how wet the dough looks. 

This was a  lesson in learning..I usually donít waste anything, but after one slice of this pie and giving taste testers some samples we all concluded the toppings were good, but the crust was bad..  I then threw the rest of the pie in the trash..LOL  :-D

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »
 :-D Its all behind closed doors Matt!and 1 cabinet. and wont last the summer. ok maybe.  I just watched that show scary!!
Norma think it was the flour. sorry it didint come out good for you!
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:02 PM »
John,

Your and Matt are probably right about the flour.  Ya just gotta take some chances to learn.   ;D  Sometimes things turn out okay and sometimes not.

Norma

pizzapan