Author Topic: sauce quandry  (Read 1044 times)

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
sauce quandry
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:22:33 PM »
A favorite pizzeria began selling their sauce and dough, so I thought I'd get some sauce and reverse engineer it.  To my surprise, what tasted fine when on the pie, tasted, well unexpectedly peculiar.  The sauce seemed to be a combination of pureed canned tomatoes, a heavy tomato puree, and lots, I mean, lots of oregano.  The sauce out of the container had a slightly sweet and bitter character with an overly strong taste of oregano.  And yet when I eat their pies, it tastes fine.  What gives?

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: sauce quandry
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
I have noticed that some sauces taste quite diff raw vs baked on a pie, especially fully prepared types and those that contain citric acid.  So since you already bought some maybe bake one up and see what it is like then.  Of course, they may not be selling the exact the same sauce they use, protecting trade secrets and all...

Online Bob1

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
I agree a place near me was passing off a different sauce when sold separately.  I would suggest ordering a pie with extra sauce and no cheese.  I usually simmer a mix and as I change it I put a 1/2 tsp in a bowl with a little cheese and microwave for 3 t0 5 sec.  This gives you a more accurate finished pie taste.

Bob

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:29:16 AM »
In this instance, I saw them go in back to get a container and then went to the workstation to fill it.

Online Bob1

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:06:13 AM »
Then I would try the microwave deal with different cheeses to find the flavor mix.  Is it possible you are spreading to much sauce?  Less is usually better.

Bob

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »
interesting topic!  i too think it has a lot to do with being cooked on the pie.  the water evaporation, do they put olive oil on the skin? that can change the flavor.  and then definitely the grease, salt and other flavors from the cheese as it melts and cooks.  the sausage cooking and the fat from that and associated flavors.  i notice when making my sauce it must taste a certain way when raw so that i know what ill have when the pie is done.  i use a lot of sugar in my sauce and im always surprised after cooking how so much of the sweetness which can be a good thing is lost.  let us know more of what you find!  thanks!