Author Topic: pizzeria in australia  (Read 9879 times)

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
Re: pizzeria in australia
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2005, 12:24:18 AM »
Ozpizza....FINALLY got to the Fyshwick Fruit Markets and found all types of flour available the "Nut Shoppe". They have a special "pizza flour" which I will try shortly.The beauty about this shop is they sell in one kilo bags.

James, pizza flour could mean a lot of things, you need to check the specific protein content on the package. Molini-Pizzuti for example makes little 1 kg packets of 'Pizza Flour' which pretty low at 11.2%(got some in the cupboard) and easily out-proteined by their bread flour(12.6% not 12.4% as per my last post). You are also unlikely to find 'serious' protein content flour(14%) in small volumes like 1kg in Australia (I think the US is pretty similar).

Let us know how you go.

Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

piroshok

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2005, 10:58:21 PM »
JamesOz
I have pretty good success with Manildra flour as per pic (it's only 12.5 kg and the millers say it lasts up to 12 months storage) making a 8 hour poolish(*) say 1 cup and 1/8 tspn IDY
and then add two cups 11% flour very good and extensible dough with large voids
This flour is much higher protein than stated it has high ash content of 66% low extraction rate 85% and water absoption is 66% to 68%

(*) many people make mistakes with poolish because they believe it should be used when frothing or streaks forming which is not. Poolish is best used when it totally collapsed and a smelly watery surfice appears floating over the poolish
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 12:48:14 AM by piroshok »

Offline Caz at Margheritas

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2005, 07:31:54 AM »
Hi nice to see more Aussies here :)

I'm no expert! Just to get that out of the way  ;) BUT I spent months researching bread flours for our shop and then in walked our new (long story but my original business partner was another chef and we fell out) pizza chef, with 18 years experience cooking Neapolitan style pizzas, and he said our flour was too strong.

Back to the drawing board and looking for a non bread flour that is organic (I have organic as a firm spec). We found one and it is working very well. Millers Organic Plain Flour, from Byford Mills. Around AUD $0.95 Per kilo. When we can't get that we just use Weston's Superb Bakers Flour and adjust the proportions a little.

It seems to me from reading a lot of threads today that it all depends on the crust style, method of stretching and then cooking to decide which flour is best for you.

Because we use a hot wood fired oven we like a soft, light, thin crust that cooks right through very quickly in high temperatures so a fine soft flour is most suitable. If I cook the same dough in our home oven it goes tough and chewy because of the high water ratio and longer cooking time.

Doughs ain't doughs  ::)

Caz

piroshok

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2005, 08:13:40 PM »
yet another outlet for Weston flours
Harris 1292 Centre Road, Clayton  25kg bag going for $15

BAS Foods 423 Victoria Street, Brunswick is moslty frequented by Turkish and other peoples of the Muslim community so good farina type of flour one expects to find at BASfoods
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 08:08:11 AM by piroshok »

Offline JamesOz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2006, 05:27:59 PM »
OzPizza......Sorry to take so long getting back to you.The "Pizza" flour was very ordinary and made no difference at all.I forgot to mention it also cost A$2.50 per kilo so I will go back to all purpose flour for the moment which seems to work OK.

Piroshok.......thanks for the flour tip....will look into it.

Caz at Margheritas.....Thanks also for your ideas.I like the thin cracker style pizza with air bubbles (voids ?) in it.Sometimes it works out well but others no so good.I think I will need to watch the hydration levels and try to get my oven hotter in order to obtain the the "crisp cracker" style as outlined by DKM in his threads.

Anyway its fun experimenting and I WILL get the perfect formula oneday.Regards James.

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2006, 02:39:29 AM »
OzPizza......Sorry to take so long getting back to you.The "Pizza" flour was very ordinary and made no difference at all.I forgot to mention it also cost A$2.50 per kilo so I will go back to all purpose flour for the moment which seems to work OK.

Piroshok.......thanks for the flour tip....will look into it.

Caz at Margheritas.....Thanks also for your ideas.I like the thin cracker style pizza with air bubbles (voids ?) in it.Sometimes it works out well but others no so good.I think I will need to watch the hydration levels and try to get my oven hotter in order to obtain the the "crisp cracker" style as outlined by DKM in his threads.

Anyway its fun experimenting and I WILL get the perfect formula oneday.Regards James.

Jame's it's understandable that the pizza flour did very little. I went through the same process of experimenting quite a while ago. What I did find was that the Molini-Pizzuti bread flour @12.6% topped up with some gluten flour, gives a half decent result and is a big improvement on AP flour.

If you want to emulate a more traditional Neopolitan style pizza similar to what Caz cooks you need a high temp oven or woodfire as she refers to. That style will alter your flour protein level, fermentation method and dough consistency significantly. Plenty of info is on hand in these forums.
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!