Author Topic: Instant Dry Yeast Question  (Read 2080 times)

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Instant Dry Yeast Question
« on: March 16, 2005, 07:58:27 PM »
I have not been able to get instant dry yeast locally and have been using active dry yeast for Tom Lehman's NY dough recipe. I just received some IDY from Bosch Kitchen Center in Utah.  How different is this yeast from  the active dry and rapid rise. I was actually getting pretty good results with the active dry. Thanks again for all the expert advice available on this site-----Mel   

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Instant Dry Yeast Question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:47:53 PM »
Mel,

The biggest difference between active dry yeast (ADY) and instant dry yeast (IDY) is that the IDY doesn't have to be rehydrated ("proofed") in water. It can just be tossed into the flour. Also, less of the IDY is needed to achieve the same leavening power as the ADY and the IDY can tolerate higher water temperatures than the ADY, which should promote faster rising if that is the objective. The "rapid rise" yeast is basically an IDY that is marketed more to consumers than to professionals, but can also be used although it is a different strain than the IDY that is sold to professionals. If you plan to do a lot of pizza making, using either ADY or IDY, my best advice is to buy a 1-lb. bag. It is far cheaper over time than buying the small packets at the supermarket. I understand that places like Costco's and Sam's sell the bags; they can also be ordered by mail order from several places.

FYI, one packet of ADY = 1/4 oz. = 2 1/4 t. = 1 (0.6-oz.) fresh compressed yeast cake = 1 1/2 t. IDY. So, to convert from ADY to IDY, divide the amount of ADY by 1.5.

Peter

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Instant Dry Yeast Question
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
Peter --Our Costco out here does not carry the IDY or the Polly-O Mozz. That's why I got the IDY from Utah.. All the ingredients I have used come from at least 400 miles away. My next projact is a wood burning oven in the back yard. It should be done in the next 2 months---  THANKS---Mel

pizzapan