Author Topic: Mozzarella Cheese Help  (Read 2698 times)

Offline titanbrett

Mozzarella Cheese Help
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »
For years when I lived in Chicago I made a wonderful thin crust pizza that everybody loved.  With a nice golden brown gooey cheese.  I moved to Florida a few years ago and I cannot seem to replicate that pizza I made blindfolded for years.  The cheese DOES NOT brown and it is never gooey, rubbery or silky.  It just kind of melts and is greasy, when you bite it it just kind of breaks instead of pulls.  I have tried all different types of cheese; Sargento, Sorrento, Polly-O, Kraft shredded.  Different cooking temps; 350-550.  nothing seems to work.  Any cheese chemists out there have any idea why Mozzarella cheese wont brown and turn stringy?

Thanks

Offline Puzzolento

Re: Mozzarella Cheese Help
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
Try Costco cheese!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:47:59 PM »
 titanbrett,  it probably has more to do with your oven than you think.  One of those brands should have worked.  try a stone on a rack over your pizza,  preheated and see what happens.  Or try moving the pizza towards the top of the oven.  Also part skim mozz tends to brown up faster and fresh shredded tends to string better. -marc

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
I get stringy when I use the Sorrento "fresh" mozz. Finish it under the broiler and it'll brown.  Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:18:26 PM »
Ok,  Any pre shredded cheese is going to brown more than Grande    They are the only company not using an anti caking agent (retail or wholesale) in their pre shredded cheese.   Anti caking agents make your cheese brown and burn in an unpleasant way. 

If switching to a hand grated cheese does not solve your problem you are going to have to try to get ahold of some Grande cheese (either pre shredded or not).  Grande browns less than any other brand of cheese I have ever used even if you are comparing cheese without anti caking agents.   

I am with Marc, and I am sure your oven has a lot to do with your problem as well.   Art, sorry to say this, and I hope you understand that I am saying this with much respect to you, but......I often see people recommend finishing your pizza under the broiler to simulate a higher temperature baked pizza or to make up for oven abnormalities.   Unfortunately this process is never going to get you the same results as a properly balanced oven, as it tends to dry out and burn the cheese only on the surface.   A slow melted cheese will always taste better than a fast melted cheese for normal processed mozzarella.   Broiler finishing is only a crutch. 

Of course, you could move up to fresh mozzarella, but that is probably not going to give you the flavor you are looking for unless you move up to a high temperature pizza.   

Good luck Titanbrett!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:09:35 AM by scott r »

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
"Broiler finishing is only a crutch."

If it's the only thing keeping you from falling flat on your ass, then I guess a crutch can be a good thing.  ;)  Art 
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
"Ok,  ANY pre shredded cheese is going to brown too much except for Grande."

Easy to say, but not true.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:07:34 AM »
Oops,    Meant to say any pre shredded cheese is going to brown more than Grande.   Good eye Puzzlento, I will go back and correct that first sentence.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:10:08 AM by scott r »

pizzapan