Author Topic: Grande East Coast or 50/50  (Read 4775 times)

Offline dms

Re: Grande East Coast or 50/50
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41:46 PM »
I don't get yeaaaaa point
Grande is about $11 - 13 for a 5lb bag of Grande East coast blend chesse.
What premium????
Yeaaa saving a Dollar or Two  if you are buy a differant brand of chesse.
I am sure MOST will stay with Grande and will be more then happy to spend that dollar extra.
Price should not matter when making your own pizza..........JT

Commodity prices for mozzarella are less than two bucks a pound these days.  11 bucks is a better than 10% premium; 13 would be better than 30.  Chicago pizza operators tend to be sensible businessmen.  They won't pay a premium for a product that's not better. 

Grande might be better than what's available on the east coast.  It's not any better than any of the other cheeses widely available in the chicago area. 

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 08:47:34 PM »
Commodity prices for mozzarella are less than two bucks a pound these days.  11 bucks is a better than 10% premium; 13 would be better than 30.  Chicago pizza operators tend to be sensible businessmen.  They won't pay a premium for a product that's not better. 

Grande might be better than what's available on the east coast.  It's not any better than any of the other cheeses widely available in the chicago area. 

On the East Coast we can get whatever chesse we want
From the Cheap stuff too Grande.
As I said,,,you can save your Dollar or $2 per 5 Lb bag
Most of use rather spend that extra buck
Last I heard Nyc makes the Best pizza and Most use grande unless you enjoy Pizza hut

Offline dms

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »
On the East Coast we can get whatever chesse we want

No you can't.  There is *lots* of dairy production in  the midwest that doesn't make it more than a 100 or 200 miles from the plant. 

I doubt you'll believe me, because you've started calling me names.  I'm done with this conversation.  enjoy your overpriced bad cheese.

Offline PizzaNick

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
there certainly is a good amount of midwest cheese that does not make its way far from where its made, let alone all the way to NY or any pizza hut. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »
Had to chime in here about the Grande cheese.

I tried it several times and didn't care much for it. Oils off too much for my taste and lacks a bit of flavor. Polly-O was my favorite until I wasn't able to find it here in the SF Bay Area any longer, for whatever reason. So after much searching and trial and error, I found the mozzarella from TJ's to be a great one. Especially when you blend the whole milk and low-moisture ones together and add some provolone.

Too bad about the Polly-O, though. :'(
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »
Essen, not sure how far you are from a lunardi's, but I was in SF for thanksgiving and they had tons of poly o and 6 in 1's.   I thought the precious mozzarella that was everywhere was pretty good too as long as you didn't use the pre shred.   

Here are the locations:
http://www.lunardis.com/html/locations.html

I know someone else had poly-o as well.....I think Genova Deli 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »
Essen, not sure how far you are from a lunardi's, but I was in SF for thanksgiving and they had tons of poly o and 6 in 1's.   I thought the precious mozzarella that was everywhere was pretty good too as long as you didn't use the pre shred.   

Here are the locations:
http://www.lunardis.com/html/locations.html

I know someone else had poly-o as well.....I think Genova Deli 

Scott,

Believe it or not, but I used to work for Lunardi's in Belmont (Bakery) a few years ago. I know they had it but since I moved I haven't checked back with them. Will give it a shot, though, next time I'm down on the Peninsula. Mollie Stone's here in Sausalito used to carry it not too long ago but they discontinued it.

I found a spot on Divisadero in SF, Country Cheese Inc, that might carry it. I have used the Precious cheese before and it's not a bad one, especially when you blend the whole milk and low-moisture together.

Thanks for the tip on Genova Deli.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
No you can't.  There is *lots* of dairy production in  the midwest that doesn't make it more than a 100 or 200 miles from the plant. 

I doubt you'll believe me, because you've started calling me names.  I'm done with this conversation.  enjoy your overpriced bad cheese.

I never called you a name?
Who cares about alot of dairy in the midwest that makes and sells chesse,I thought we were only talking about Grande?
Most places in NYC use Grande(yea need to pay more for a pizza but who cares}PollyO makes a Special Chesse for places that makes pizza,,,,I think I will have to check it out.I think the east coast blend is less oily but I do enjoy
the taste of it..............JT

I

pizzapan