Author Topic: Has Anyone Here Tried Beer Yeast?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Has Anyone Here Tried Beer Yeast?
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:37:54 AM »
As a homebrewer, I used lots of different yeasts and fermentation temperatures to get different flavors. I'm wondering whether anyone here has tried beer yeast to see what happens. Sites like morebeer.com have a wide assortment.

Offline Pizza Rustica

Re: Has Anyone Here Tried Beer Yeast?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
I would do an advanced search, I recall that someone was doing some experiments awhile back with several different types of brewer's yeast.

I believe that Marco has also mentioned that brewer's yeast as used in Naples is not the same as here in the states. I believe the Italian reference to brewer's yeast is fresh yeast. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could clarify this.
Russ

Offline Bob1

Re: Has Anyone Here Tried Beer Yeast?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:45:35 AM »
Puzzo,
I have used Cooper beer yeast with great results, but for different reasons.  Different yeasts will give you different flavors if you are looking for that.  IMO Some people mistake the taste of the yeast when making short ferments as opposed to the complexity of the ferment.  I like the Cooper because the activity is very slow and much more sensitive to temp.  This means that it can be kept as a starter refreshed once a day at a room temp of 68 degrees.  Because of the low activity its acidity stays low and is always ready for use.  It's kind of like having a ferment in suspended animation.  I was then adding IDY for the final dough to get an exact rise.  If you want to jack up the amount of beer yeast to the amount used for one day bread it will give you good taste, but it will be the flavor of the yeast.  Otherwise use the starter and rise it in an 80 degree oven.

Bob