Author Topic: Is All Trumps Sticky?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Is All Trumps Sticky?
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
Yesterday I used All Trumps flour instead of Bouncer. I liked the results. It makes a nice Sicilian pizza, and it seems to brown well. But I had a few pizzas that were reluctant to come out of the pans. Is it possible that this stuff is stickier than other high-gluten flours?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Is All Trumps Sticky?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »
I don't find all trumps to be particularly sticky, but I have found that I do end up with a slightly lower hydration than I do with some other high gluten flours.    I consider bouncer to be pretty similar, but I could see needing to drop down a point or two in your hydration when going from that flour to all trumps.   You also might want to consider mixing slightly longer if your dough is too sticky.  Good luck!

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
Maybe cutting the water down is a good idea. Or it could just be that I need to beef up the seasoning on my pans.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »
I had the same experience when I moved to All-Trumps (though I noticed the wetter, stickier dough while kneading.)  Wound up lowering hydration a bit to get the desired texture and was very happy with the results.  How was the flavor compared to your regular flour?
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:55:36 PM »
It may have been a little better, but it's hard to say, so if there is a difference, it's not huge. I'm inclined to stick with Golden Tiger from now on, but none of the flours I've tried have been disappointing.

One problem I have evaluating flours is that I can't eat enough pizza to do a good job. I'd weigh 500 pounds. Sometimes I chew up a slice and spit it out because I need to know if the pizza is good.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »
We switched from Con Agra Kyrol to All Trumps and noticed a little more stickyness, and a lot more chewy crumb and easier burning of the underside at 700F w/o crisping.  Since we like a noticable crisp on the underside, we switched back to Kyrol.  If anyone has success in getting crisp out of All Trumps, pls post or PM me as I'm staring at a 50 lb bag...
Dave

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
Tampa, I am a big fan of Kyrol when I need to use a bromated high gluten flour, but I think the AT should do ok for you as well.    Dropping the hydration a little and a slightly shorter mixing time should help to bring back some of the crisp you are looking for.   Please check back and let me know if you ultimately prefer one flour or the other after experimentation.   Thanks!

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
Hoping to make some test pies this week to find out exactly what this flour does. I haven't made a thin-crust pie with it yet.

The outside and bottoms of the Sicilians were nice and crunchy.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »
Scott R - Thanks for taking an interest and suggesting AT mix and hydration changes.  We tried 59% hydration yesterday and 10 minute mixing on level 2 with a Kitchenaid 600.  The result was indeed better.  The dough was much less sticky and even delivered a bit of crisp to the underside crust when cooked at a stone temperature of 685F.  The result is about 1/2 way there when compared with Kyrol - a slight crisp to the underside and almost no crisp around the crumb.  We like both with a crunch.  If you have other suggestions, I'll give it a go, otherwise back to Kyrol.
Dave

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 01:04:56 PM »
Baked with All Trumps yesterday, and had no sticking problems. I reduced the water slightly, and that appears to be what did the trick. It makes wonderful garlic rolls.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
Garlic rolls - that sounds great with AT.  Perfect application for this flour, IMO.

I just finished the second pie (of 2) made with 59% hydration.  This one went on the stone at 700F and scorched the bottom a bit more than I like.  Kyrol seems to cook fine between 685F and 725F.  AT seems to scorch just after 685F in my environment.

pizzapan