Author Topic: Tried Glutenboy's Formula  (Read 5585 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Tried Glutenboy's Formula
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »

Ronzo,

Thanks for saying it looks good.  Were you talking about the pizza or my new muscle?  ::)

Thanks,

Norma

Glutenboy,

Thanks to mixing your formula by hand I found out some interesting information.  There is a pizzeria called Popeyeís Pizza. 

Also, there was a Popeye's Pizza Palace cartoon distributed by King Features Syndicate. 
The Cartoon Synopsis:      

At Meatball Manor, proprietor Popeye provides pizzas in four sizes: "penny pincher," "chintzy," "sporty" and "big Daddy." Wimpy wants pizza on credit. Popeye uses an assembly-line pizza making machine with resulting gags. He entertains customers Wimpy and Brutus with his doughnut pizza, parasol pizza, sunbonnet pizza and other creative concoctions. Sparks really fly when Brutus asks for a tamale pizza, which Popeye doesn't make. There's a fight between Brutus and Popeye over pizza. Brutus is made into Pizza Bread Man. Wimpy ends up paying cash for his pizza. 

Am anxious to try the pizza with your formula on Tuesday and maybe be the Popeye of pizza dough, with your formula.

Thanks,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
I looked at the dough ball today, that I made last Thursday.  I had placed the poppy seeds 1" apart.  It doesn't seem like the poppy seeds moved.  Will try out the dough tomorrow.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 06:36:18 PM »
Norma did you do the 2 hour rest period prior to putting it to sleep?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »
Norma did you do the 2 hour rest period prior to putting it to sleep?

Tranman,

No, I only did a one hour rest period.  I did take the dough ball out today and left it sit out for 3 hours, but the poppy seeds didn't move.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »
Tranman,

No, I only did a one hour rest period.  I did take the dough ball out today and left it sit out for 3 hours, but the poppy seeds didn't move.

Norma

Norma, that may be the issue.  I suspected this b/c I did a very similar thing 2 weeks ago.  I made GB's recipe with a 30min autolyse and skipped the 2 hour rest period.  The dough was out for about an hour in total.  5 days later and very little rise in the fridge.  it had tiny airbubbles I can see through the bottom but the dough started looking a little discolored.  I tooked it out and b/c I was short on time warm proofed it for 1 hour.  That wasn't enough either as I still got little to no rise.  The dough remained pastey and putty like.  I baked it any way, and it flat and had very little rise.

I repeated the recipe and let it sit out for about 2-3 hours this time to jump start the dough.  After 4 days now, it's looking a lot better than the previous one.  This one is slowly expanding in the fridge.  At 4 days the poppy seeds are at 1 1/8" so I'm confident it can go a couple of more days.   I'll go until it reaches 1 1/4". 

I'm curious as to how your pie baked up.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 11:01:19 PM »

I'm curious as to how your pie baked up.

Tranman,

I am baking the pie at market tomorrow.  I plan on letting the dough sit out for awhile before baking, if the poppy seeds didn't move very much until tomorrow.  The Glutenboy's formula only had the one hour to sit out, but while fooling around with the dough it had about another 25 minutes and the 3 hour warm-up today. The poppy seeds are still on the dough, so I can watch them while it sits out. Will see what happens.  ::)

Thanks for telling me about your experience when not letting the dough sit out before the cold ferment.   :)  I will remember to plan on letting the dough sit out longer next time.

I plan on posting pictures whether good or bad.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 11:05:27 PM »
whoops I also forgot to mention this other important piece of information.  After 1 day in the fridge when I realized I had forgot to do the 2 hour rest period.  I pulled the dough out of the fridge and gave it a 3 hour room temp warm up (just as you did) and then back in the fridge.  Nothing happeded.  I still decided to let it ride out and bake b/c i had read earlier from another poster that he did a GB formula with no rise at all.  He thought it was lost but baked and got good oven spring.  So keeping that in mind, I thought I wuold try as well, but no luck for me. 
   Good luck to you and I anxiously await your results.  ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »

The Glutenboyís  pizza was made today.  The dough looked really gray with spots.  The poppy seeds sure didnít move much.  I left the dough out for 6 hours at room temperature.  For 2 of these hours, I put the dough on a pan that is on top of the oven.  I put the thermometer there to see what the ambient temperature was on top of the pan.  It was 90 degrees F.  The poppy seeds then moved. There were big bubbles on the bottom of the plastic container before I formed the skin. These are the pictures of the finished pie.

There were some blisters or pimples on this pie, but not the whole way around the rim.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
Nice blisters and at least you did get some oven spring so it sounds like not all was lost.   How did the pie taste compare to what you normally make.  Did it seem to dry or too chewy? 

I have always stuck to recipes keeping a hydration rate of 60-65%.  I am just now experiment with higher hydration %'s like 70-75%.  Sounds crazy but I live at high elevations so I need to add more water to all my doughs anyway.  60-65% always seems a little dry to me.  Not sure if it's my oven set up or not.  I also just switched to a high gluten flour so I hope the extra water will help temper the extra protein.

I currently have in the fridge a GB doughball that is just 5 days and I just want to bake it already since I'm not a huge fan of the SD taste.  So waiting another 3 days is HARD, but i was hoping I could replicate his blisters with an 8 day cold ferment.

But the GB doughball that I did lose last week was also greyish.  I then rush proofed it for only one hour it it was flat with not much oven rise.  I found out(on 2 occasions) that for my kitchen, a one hour warm proof is not long enough.  I need at least 2 hours.  Anyways going back over my notes, my failure of that particular doughball was in missing the 2 hour rest period.  Trying to make up for it the next day, and a rushed proofing didn't help matters either. 

I'll post a pic when I bake this current GB dough which is looking nice and healthy at the moment.

BTW, you cheese pizza does look good. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:28:47 PM by Tranman »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 10:50:16 PM »
Nice blisters and at least you did get some oven spring so it sounds like not all was lost.   How did the pie taste compare to what you normally make.  Did it seem to dry or too chewy? 

I have always stuck to recipes keeping a hydration rate of 60-65%.  I am just now experiment with higher hydration %'s like 70-75%.  Sounds crazy but I live at high elevations so I need to add more water to all my doughs anyway.  60-65% always seems a little dry to me.  Not sure if it's my oven set up or not.  I also just switched to a high gluten flour so I hope the extra water will help temper the extra protein.

I currently have in the fridge a GB doughball that is just 5 days and I just want to bake it already since I'm not a huge fan of the SD taste.  So waiting another 3 days is HARD, but i was hoping I could replicate his blisters with an 8 day cold ferment.

But the GB doughball that I did lose last week was also greyish.  I then rush proofed it for only one hour it it was flat with not much oven rise.  I found out(on 2 occasions) that for my kitchen, a one hour warm proof is not long enough.  I need at least 2 hours.  Anyways going back over my notes, my failure of that particular doughball was in missing the 2 hour rest period.  Trying to make up for it the next day, and a rushed proofing didn't help matters either. 

I'll post a pic when I bake this current GB dough which is looking nice and healthy at the moment.

BTW, you cheese pizza does look good. 

Tranman,

The pie tasted great, it was like the old times when I used All Trumps.  I really did like that flour, but wanted to get away from the bromates.  It didnít taste too dry or chewy. 

When I saw the poppy seeds werenít moving, I had all day to play around with the dough to see if different temperatures would make them move. 

I didnít want to try to make this pizza until I was sure it was fermenting.  I guess it was fermenting because the dough was grayish in color.  I donít understand that either. 

The only times I have tried higher hydrations were when I tried foccacia or Sicilian Pizzas. 

I know it is tough to decide when to use the dough.  This dough opened nicely and there was oven spring, so I guess I did something right with it.

It will be interesting to see your GB pie.  I will be waiting to see what happens with your dough.
I thought maybe I would get more blisters in this pie, but there werenít too many.  The other pies I made today with my regular dough also had some blisters, but not all of them.

Thanks for saying the cheese pizza looks good,  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:29:59 AM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 11:32:17 PM »
Norma,

It would not be unusual for a Glutenboy dough ball not to be very active. The dough uses a small amount of yeast and the dough balls are small, making them cool down very quickly. As an example, Jackitup (Jon) noted the inactivity of his Glutenboy dough ball at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8232.msg70969.html#msg70969.

I have had a lot of experience working with doughs that exhibit pronounced spotting. If you scan the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.0.html, you will see several examples of doughs with spotting. If you read some of the posts in that thread, you will also find discussions and explanations of the phenomenon and its affect of the finished pizzas.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:52 PM »

Thanks for saying you the cheese pizza looks good,  :)

Norma

lol, I just now caught that.  Sorry, I meant to say "your cheese pizza looks good".  I get in such a hurry I often fail to proof read.   :-[

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
Tranman,

I do that sometimes, also.  I just go back and edit or sometimes, I guess it just stays that way.   :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »
Norma,

It would not be unusual for a Glutenboy dough ball not to be very active. The dough uses a small amount of yeast and the dough balls are small, making them cool down very quickly. As an example, Jackitup (Jon) noted the inactivity of his Glutenboy dough ball at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8232.msg70969.html#msg70969.

I have had a lot of experience working with doughs that exhibit pronounced spotting. If you scan the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.0.html, you will see several examples of doughs with spotting. If you read some of the posts in that thread, you will also find discussions and explanations of the phenomenon and its affect of the finished pizzas.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for showing these links.  I remember posting on that thread also, when working on the long-ferment and lower final dough temperatures. Then some of my dough developed the gray color or specks, too.  That crust also tasted great.  You have experimented on so many ideas, but you are always doing more experiments. 

I just wanted to do everything I could think of to get this Glutenboy's dough to work out okay.  Maybe it could have even been my older flour I used to make Glutenboy's formula last week.  It has been around for almost a year.  I have some Kyrol flour I purchased at our local Country Store last week.  I might try that if I decide to experiment with Glutenboy's formula, again for a longer ferment.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 12:28:45 PM »
Ok Norma, here's my 9 day GB pie.  First off the 9 day wait was killing me.  I had to make all sorts of pies in between just to fight off the urge to bake it.  I'm glad I waited though b/c I wanted to see what would happen.   
   So this was a slightly modified GB recipe.  Everything was the same except i substituted my starter for IDY.  I used 8% starter, roughly equivalent to the amount of IDY called for.  I DID let it bulk rise for 2 hours prior to going into the fridge as I have skipped this before with undesireable results. 

I wanted to note that the dough looked healthy the entire 9 days rising slowly.  Didn't turn gray as my others had when I skipped the 2 hour rest period.   I proofed at room temps for 2.5 hours prior to baking.  The dough was definitely at room temps but was not as easy to open up as a 1-2 day dough.  I could only get this thing out to about 8 inches despite it being around a 290- ish gram ball.  I normally make 11-12" pies with that weight.   The dough felt dry to me.  It bake up ok without much oven rise.  The crust was a bit dense for my taste.  The SD taste was not very strong compared to doughs that I've made with a 35% starter (preferment) that cold fermented in half that time.  All in all, not bad.  Not perfect for me but not bad.   I was also hoping to get big beautiful blisters like GB gets, but not much.   :(

It was a good experience and I learned a lot from it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »
Tranman,

LOL Tran..you are making so many pies that the wait..................... should be fun.   ;D

It is interesting to see your results and hear your dough didnít turn gray.  It makes me wonder why the dough was so hard to open.  Were you using the same hydration for Glutenboyís formula?  I know by using different flours and also different mix times, each person can get different results with the same formula.  Each variable can change the way the dough behaves or bakes.  That is all the mystery of pizza making.  It keeps you on your toes what might happen.  I donít have the experience many people have on this forum, but am trying to learn.  That will probably go on forever. 

Your pie looks great, even though you didnít get the pimples or have the results would have preferred. 

Each pizza you make will teach you more.

Itís good to hear this GBís formula has helped you learn.

Thanks for posting pictures and your results,

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »
Thx Norma, from what I can remember yes I kept the hydration ratio the same at about 61%.  Thinking about it somemore, 61% is rather low for me at high elevations.  I usually make at least 65%.  Also I kept sealed with some plastic wrap in a bowl for the first 5 days.  The last 3 I loosened up the edges and tucked plastic wrap close to the body of the dough.  It could have let some of the moisture escape and thus drying it out abit more on top of being at high elevations.   Most suprising is that it wasn't as sour as my past pies that went 4 days with starter or ADY.  hmmm ???  I was just really happy to keep it alive that long. 

pizzapan