Author Topic: raisin starter?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
raisin starter?
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:04 AM »
i've had a raisin starter with 1c raisins, 2T sugar, and warm water 3/4" over the top of the raisins mixed for 5 days and there is no yeast action going on visibly, only some of the raisins are puffy.  did using sun maid raisins have a negative effect?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jet_deck

Re: raisin starter?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »
Are they organic Sun Maid ?  The (organic) tend to have more action.  Mummies found in Egypt have less chemicals than non organic raisins.  Just my .02 8)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline artellan

• bread baker hoping to improve my pies
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »
What is the starter going to be used for, bread & pizza? If so you should probably use flour to make your starter -- the yeast and bacteria come from the flour. While there are yeast and probably bacteria on raisins, the species you want for baking are already in the flour.

Here is a scientific analysis of starter methods: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10856/pineapple-juice-solution-part-1

EDIT: sorry, I just saw the other thread by Mike / Essen1; it seems a lot of people are trying out using raisin-based starters to leaven their pizza doughs! I actually did use "raisin water" (water that raisins were soaking in for a few hours) to begin my sourdough starter, although every feeding after the first was regular filtered water. If I had to start again, I would just do the pineapple juice thing. Note that actual recipe for making the starter is partway down here: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10901/pineapple-juice-solution-part-2
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:34:10 PM by artellan »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:40:06 PM »
i've had a raisin starter with 1c raisins, 2T sugar, and warm water 3/4" over the top of the raisins mixed for 5 days and there is no yeast action going on visibly, only some of the raisins are puffy.  did using sun maid raisins have a negative effect?

Jon I've made a sunmaid raisen starter and it works just fine.   There is a thread Mike started on raisen starters sometime ago.  Puffy is good.  After the puffy stage you should strart seeing bubbles around the raisens and then lots of bubbles to follow.   Your soaked raisens should have lots of activity by now.    Once that happens you can drain the raisens out and mix flour in to a semi viscous consistency and you should have a starter in short order.   Using it for bread and pizza will be just fine. 

Chau

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:08:11 AM »
still no action on my raisins, they look the same as 4 days ago  :(

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »
still no action on my raisins, they look the same as 4 days ago  :(

What temp are you making this starter at?  It will go faster if it's a bit warmer.  I have only made 1 raisen starter and I followed Mike's lead and directions and it just worked.  Guess I got lucky.

Here's the thread...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10702.0.html

I guess I would just dump it and start over.  There are pictures in that thread of what to expect.

Chau

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »
added about 1T of my oj/lj starter to the raisin mix, and same amount to an oat/raisin mix.  the oat/raisin mix is 10 times as active as the plain raisin

pizzapan