Author Topic: Sourdough starter  (Read 9375 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Sourdough starter from raisins
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 07:29:44 PM »
Thanks Essen, Done.
Don

Keep us posted, Don.  :)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline RusticCajun

Re: Sourdough starter
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »
I tried this approach last week.  (Actually, I followed the recipe that Pete-zza had posted a while back which is pretty similar.)  After the first 48 hrs, it seemed like things were working.  There was a fermenty smell and I was surprised that by the amount of bubbles coming up.  Success!

.... Well...  I then noticed that my raisins had a small layer of fur on them.  I assume this means the bad guys won -- is that true?  I tossed it out.

To prepare for this experiment, I had cleaned a glass bowl with hot water.  I used California organic grapes, bottled water, and turbinado sugar.  I covered it tightly with plastic wrap.  I set it in the oven very close (too close?) to the light, with the oven light on the whole time.

What else should I have done?  My second-guessings:  Should I have rinsed the grapes first?  Do I need to sterilize the glass bowl?  (Didn't know how to do that -- I didn't want to see the bowl shatter from heat.)  Does light affect the process -- should I have kept the bowl further from the light?  And I also wonder if was hotter than 80 deg very close to the light.  Maybe that sped up / ruined the process.

This was my first attempt with this approach.  A while ago, I tried twice to create a starter only from flour, and ended up with the same furries on the dough each time.  Argh.

Any help to avoid the furries is appreciated!
-Rustic

Offline plainslicer

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 08:12:15 PM »
I am doing this right now, and it just became bubbly yesterday morning. This is my second try. I started on Sunday morning, and by Monday night it was furry. Thing is, the first time I haphazardly added raisins and water until it looked similar to the pictures, and didn't add sugar. It molded over and I threw it out. The second time I used the measurements buceriasdon used (with sugar) and it's now working well. I didn't sterilize anything though I had just washed the bowl and measuring cup with regular detergent.

There's some weird stuff that comes off of the raisins which I think is normal. I was afraid of it during the first days of the second try, but when it was starting to look suspect I stirred it a bit with a metal spoon. It's the stuff in the skins, I think. Stirring it spread it around, and I'm not sure it had any effect.

I'd say try again with regular raisins. FYI, my kitchen is super hot in the winter thanks to my building's heating system. The raisins are at 82F according to my IR thermometer. It's out in normal light. I used raisins I bought at Trader Joe's. I don't think they are organic.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 11:12:13 AM »
i just started this.

it's a duel in the next week between my OJ/lemon starter, and the raisin starter.   (cue in banjos)
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.