Author Topic: Cracker Style Idea  (Read 13507 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Cracker Style Idea
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 02:58:21 PM »
so was it a nice change from the normal?

It looks really good...and different. I may try this and really go all out....full sauce and cheese  >:D Might bump up the oven temp a little bit or cook it at a lower stance in the oven since you noticed the bottom was cooking slower than the top (which is odd...I have the opposite problem  :angel: )

Really cool to see this recipe evolve. Thanks for taking the time to do this Norma!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »
so was it a nice change from the normal?

It looks really good...and different. I may try this and really go all out....full sauce and cheese  >:D Might bump up the oven temp a little bit or cook it at a lower stance in the oven since you noticed the bottom was cooking slower than the top (which is odd...I have the opposite problem  :angel: )

Really cool to see this recipe evolve. Thanks for taking the time to do this Norma!

hotsawce,

I'm happy you think this Bittman's Matzo Pizza looks good.  :)  Thanks for the idea.  Give it a try, it is easy to roll the dough and you don't even have to let it in the fridge overnight.  The dough is so nice and easy to roll out. In my opinion this is a nice change from the different kinds of pies I have tried.  :)  Since I haven't tried this pie directly on a stone or with much different oven temperatures, maybe that is something you could try out.  I don't know if baking in the deep-dish pan had anything to do with how the dough baked.  I am sure it did.  I think any kind of toppings would go well with this pie. 

Your quite welcome, I enjoy trying new ideas,

Norma
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:55:50 PM by norma427 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 04:14:28 PM »
Norma,

That's a fine looking pizza. One of the nice things about your pizza is that it doesn't take a lot of work and time to make the dough and to have the pizza on the table in pretty short order.

Since you used the stone at the same time as your pan, it occurred to me that it is possible that you could use a combination of a pizza screen and the stone, in much the same manner as you baked your pizza today. The difference is that you wouldn't be able to oil the bottom of the two-layer skin to the degree you can when using the pan. So, you might have less bottom crust browning.

Knowing that a 12" pizza is doable, that suggests that one can go higher or lower in size. Maybe at some point someone will go to the 6"-8" size that Mark Bittman used to make his matzos. That size might be a single or double layered pizza, using either of the two thickness factors.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2010, 04:53:29 PM »
Norma,

That's a fine looking pizza. One of the nice things about your pizza is that it doesn't take a lot of work and time to make the dough and to have the pizza on the table in pretty short order.

Since you used the stone at the same time as your pan, it occurred to me that it is possible that you could use a combination of a pizza screen and the stone, in much the same manner as you baked your pizza today. The difference is that you wouldn't be able to oil the bottom of the two-layer skin to the degree you can when using the pan. So, you might have less bottom crust browning.

Knowing that a 12" pizza is doable, that suggests that one can go higher or lower in size. Maybe at some point someone will go to the 6"-8" size that Mark Bittman used to make his matzos. That size might be a single or double layered pizza, using either of the two thickness factors.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for saying the pizza looked good.  I can see the advantages of making this kind of dough, because as you said it can be made it a short time and not having to worry about it overfermenting.  It also would be a good dough to try when the weather gets hotter, so the oven doesnít have to be on as long.

I think your are right in saying about trying a combination of a screen and pizza stone.  I think, but donít know that this pizza might then be able to be transferred right onto the stone if it isnít browning enough with a screen and stone combination. This pizza slid easily out of the 12" deep-dish pizza pan with a metal spatula, before I transferred it to a metal peel and then over onto the stone.

I want to try your formula and hotsawceís idea for the Bittman dough,  again to see what the results would be with making just one crust with the thicker crust option.

I agree with you that someone could make a lot of little Matzo Pizzas and that would be great for appetizers or just if someone wanted individual pies.  ;D

I probably wonít have time this week to try the one crust, but might next weekend.

I really enjoyed this crust with the high amount of oil.  I donít know if the kind of oil used with this type of pie will matter or not, if someone wants to try this formula.  The oil I used has a fairly high smoke point.  It is the Fillippo Berio Olive Oil for Sauteing & Grilling.

Another thing I donít know if I did right or not, was I first rolled the one dough ball, brushed on melted butter. docked, then rolled the second docked and then pressed lightly with my fingers.  Since I never made two doughs together, I donít know if I should have tried to roll them together before placing in the pan. 

For my taste, I liked the added salt.

Thanks,

Norma
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:01:17 PM by norma427 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
Another thing I donít know if I did right or not, was I first rolled the one dough ball, brushed on melted butter. docked, then rolled the second docked and then pressed lightly with my fingers.  Since I never made two dough together, I donít know if I should have tried to roll them together before placing in the pan. 

Norma,

I don't know that it would really matter all that much how you docked the skins (one sided or two sided) and assembled them into a unitary structure. Maybe no docking at all is an option too, inasmuch as Mark Bittman did not dock his matzo skins if I recall correctly. It seems, however, that you might get a flakier crust by handling the individual skins gently and not rolling them together. Using a film of butter between the two skins should also help keep the skins from merging into one. These are areas where one can do some experimentation to see what arrangement works best.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 04:23:59 PM »
I made another test dough ball today of the Bittmanís dough.  I divided the dough into two dough balls and put them in the deli case.  Tomorrow I plan on baking one on the deck and the other baked in a 12" deep-dish pan.  I used KASL flour today to make the dough.  The dough was mixed by hand.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »
These are the two dough balls I tried today.  I made the one Bittmanís Pizza and rolled out by hand and then put it on the deck to bake.  The other dough ball I used in a deep-dish pan. The pictures of this are with the pepperoni.  I rolled the dough thin and oiled the pan.  These two pies were made with KASL flour.  I had my taste testers taste both of these pies.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
Bittman's Pizza made in the Deep-Dish Pan

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
Norma,

What were the verdicts of the taste tasters, including you, and what conclusions did you draw from the exercise?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 09:33:04 PM »
Norma,

What were the verdicts of the taste tasters, including you, and what conclusions did you draw from the exercise?

Peter

Peter,

Although these pies were baked at market and also I was using a different flour, IMO, I like the Bittman's Pizza made with the KAAP flour, at home.  These pies were really good, but in a different way.  They weren't as crispy, even though they were baked in the deck oven.  My taste testers really liked them, but then they didn't taste the other pies.  I had 7 taste testers and they all said they like the thin crust of both pies and also said they never tasted a pizza like this.  I told them it was made with Matzo dough. The Bittmans' Pizza that was made in the deep-dish pan was better overall in my opinion. 

Guess I will have to do another test and see what happens with the Bittman's Pizza when made with KAAP at market to be able to determine if they will be the same, as when I made them at home.  I don't know if I will have the same results, because I kept this dough in the deli case until today.  I let the dough warm up.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:35:31 PM by norma427 »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »
Perhaps you should consider selling it at your shop. It really is a different "beast," but in a good way.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
Perhaps you should consider selling it at your shop. It really is a different "beast," but in a good way.

hotsawce,

That may be a possibility, but I would need to do more tests on this dough.  I would like to see first how the KAAP works and then also see if yeast added produces different results.  It takes longer to roll the dough than it takes to open my regular dough.  The bake in the oven at market is about the same time as my regular pies.

It is really a different pizza.  ;D

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
Though I've been learning and configuring my oven for a regular pizza, and trying to learn preferments, this is something I think I'm going to try out in the very near future. I'm wondering, what should I cook it on in a regular oven? I imagine it's near impossible to shake off a peel, so I'm wondering what will work best.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
Though I've been learning and configuring my oven for a regular pizza, and trying to learn preferments, this is something I think I'm going to try out in the very near future. I'm wondering, what should I cook it on in a regular oven? I imagine it's near impossible to shake off a peel, so I'm wondering what will work best.

hotsawce,

I think you would like this formula for the Bittman's Pizza if you like a thin crispy crust.  I didn't have any problems with using the peel today and shaking it off into the oven.  I did flour the dough balls, before rolling them out and also put rice flour on the peel before putting the skin on the peel. 

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
I made this potato pie using Norma's latest formula and loved it. Used Kyrol flour, kosher salt, olive oil and tap water. Started with 250g flour and the rest by Norma's percentages. Made a garlic, Parmesan bechamel sauce for a base the day before, blanched some of those Klondike Rose, Red Skinned Golden Potatoes,  blanched thin sliced onions, homemade Canadian Bacon and a bit of smoked rib meat. Topped with mozz and fresh queso cheese, and a little dusting of rosemary & thyme with a bit of pizza spice (forgot the diced blue cheese). The only change would be maybe doing a slight par-bake to the crust before topping with the other ingredients. All and all a very good pie to be repeated.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
Jon,

I am glad you tried this formula and loved it.  Your choice of ingredients sound really great.  ;D The garlic, Parmesan bechamel sauce for a base sounds fantastic added with all the ingredients you choose. I would have loved to be able to try a slice.  I will have to try your ingredients sometime.  I have the Kyrol flour in a small bag (5lb.) that I purchased and will be trying that flour, also.

What temperature did you bake your pie at and how long did it take you to bake?  It will be interesting to hear if you try this formula again.  I think it is an easy way to make a pizza and is also great tasting. 

Your pictures are great!  :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you went about making this pizza,

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »
Why thank you Norma, I don't know if great pics can be used for a cell phone though :-D. I did convection roast at 450 cause I wanted to make sure all the raw taste got cooked out of the potatoes so thought a bit longer cook was better. I will maybe try just a batch of dough tonite just to see the difference with a bit of a par-bake. Leftovers for lunch in a couple hours. Didn't watch the time, just pulled when it looked done. Started on a screen then slid onto the stone directly after a few minutes.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
Why thank you Norma, I don't know if great pics can be used for a cell phone though :-D. I did convection roast at 450 cause I wanted to make sure all the raw taste got cooked out of the potatoes so thought a bit longer cook was better. I will maybe try just a batch of dough tonite just to see the difference with a bit of a par-bake. Leftovers for lunch in a couple hours. Didn't watch the time, just pulled when it looked done. Started on a screen then slid onto the stone directly after a few minutes.
Jon

Jon,

The pictures sure were great to my eyes.  ;D  The potatoes sounds like a great addition.  It is interesting to hear you used a screen and then put the stone for a few minutes. 

Looking forward to see your new pies if you try a bit of a par-bake.   :)

Thanks again,

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
That looks like a very tasty pie!

pizzapan