Author Topic: Cracker Style Idea  (Read 14834 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Cracker Style Idea
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 09:33:04 PM »
Norma,

What were the verdicts of the taste tasters, including you, and what conclusions did you draw from the exercise?

Peter

Peter,

Although these pies were baked at market and also I was using a different flour, IMO, I like the Bittman's Pizza made with the KAAP flour, at home.  These pies were really good, but in a different way.  They weren't as crispy, even though they were baked in the deck oven.  My taste testers really liked them, but then they didn't taste the other pies.  I had 7 taste testers and they all said they like the thin crust of both pies and also said they never tasted a pizza like this.  I told them it was made with Matzo dough. The Bittmans' Pizza that was made in the deep-dish pan was better overall in my opinion. 

Guess I will have to do another test and see what happens with the Bittman's Pizza when made with KAAP at market to be able to determine if they will be the same, as when I made them at home.  I don't know if I will have the same results, because I kept this dough in the deli case until today.  I let the dough warm up.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:35:31 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »
Perhaps you should consider selling it at your shop. It really is a different "beast," but in a good way.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
Perhaps you should consider selling it at your shop. It really is a different "beast," but in a good way.

hotsawce,

That may be a possibility, but I would need to do more tests on this dough.  I would like to see first how the KAAP works and then also see if yeast added produces different results.  It takes longer to roll the dough than it takes to open my regular dough.  The bake in the oven at market is about the same time as my regular pies.

It is really a different pizza.  ;D

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
Though I've been learning and configuring my oven for a regular pizza, and trying to learn preferments, this is something I think I'm going to try out in the very near future. I'm wondering, what should I cook it on in a regular oven? I imagine it's near impossible to shake off a peel, so I'm wondering what will work best.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
Though I've been learning and configuring my oven for a regular pizza, and trying to learn preferments, this is something I think I'm going to try out in the very near future. I'm wondering, what should I cook it on in a regular oven? I imagine it's near impossible to shake off a peel, so I'm wondering what will work best.

hotsawce,

I think you would like this formula for the Bittman's Pizza if you like a thin crispy crust.  I didn't have any problems with using the peel today and shaking it off into the oven.  I did flour the dough balls, before rolling them out and also put rice flour on the peel before putting the skin on the peel. 

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
I made this potato pie using Norma's latest formula and loved it. Used Kyrol flour, kosher salt, olive oil and tap water. Started with 250g flour and the rest by Norma's percentages. Made a garlic, Parmesan bechamel sauce for a base the day before, blanched some of those Klondike Rose, Red Skinned Golden Potatoes,  blanched thin sliced onions, homemade Canadian Bacon and a bit of smoked rib meat. Topped with mozz and fresh queso cheese, and a little dusting of rosemary & thyme with a bit of pizza spice (forgot the diced blue cheese). The only change would be maybe doing a slight par-bake to the crust before topping with the other ingredients. All and all a very good pie to be repeated.
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
Jon,

I am glad you tried this formula and loved it.  Your choice of ingredients sound really great.  ;D The garlic, Parmesan bechamel sauce for a base sounds fantastic added with all the ingredients you choose. I would have loved to be able to try a slice.  I will have to try your ingredients sometime.  I have the Kyrol flour in a small bag (5lb.) that I purchased and will be trying that flour, also.

What temperature did you bake your pie at and how long did it take you to bake?  It will be interesting to hear if you try this formula again.  I think it is an easy way to make a pizza and is also great tasting. 

Your pictures are great!  :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you went about making this pizza,

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »
Why thank you Norma, I don't know if great pics can be used for a cell phone though :-D. I did convection roast at 450 cause I wanted to make sure all the raw taste got cooked out of the potatoes so thought a bit longer cook was better. I will maybe try just a batch of dough tonite just to see the difference with a bit of a par-bake. Leftovers for lunch in a couple hours. Didn't watch the time, just pulled when it looked done. Started on a screen then slid onto the stone directly after a few minutes.
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
Why thank you Norma, I don't know if great pics can be used for a cell phone though :-D. I did convection roast at 450 cause I wanted to make sure all the raw taste got cooked out of the potatoes so thought a bit longer cook was better. I will maybe try just a batch of dough tonite just to see the difference with a bit of a par-bake. Leftovers for lunch in a couple hours. Didn't watch the time, just pulled when it looked done. Started on a screen then slid onto the stone directly after a few minutes.
Jon

Jon,

The pictures sure were great to my eyes.  ;D  The potatoes sounds like a great addition.  It is interesting to hear you used a screen and then put the stone for a few minutes. 

Looking forward to see your new pies if you try a bit of a par-bake.   :)

Thanks again,

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
That looks like a very tasty pie!

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
This looked fun to try. I did tweak the recipe by adding some garlic powder to the dough. I watched the video, and read the posts to get an idea on how to proceed. I cut the formula by half, and ended up with a 12" skin. Cooked it for about 3 minutes then flipped it over for about another 2 or 3. It had nice bubbles, and browning of the skin. It tasted great, almost like I had used butter. It seems more like a pie crust than a pizza crust. It was flaky and very tender. It was very light in structure. I would like it to be less tender, and have just a little more bite like a cracker crust. I think the oil gave it the tenderness. Next time I'll lower the amount of oil a little and see if that makes it  a more substantial crust. All in all, it was a success. I think it would be fun to add dessert toppings to it. Maybe a little sugar and cinnamon.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:07:27 PM by nick57 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
nick57,

Glad you had some success with this style of pizza.  :) Will be looking forward to your results if you modify the formulation.

Norma 

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »
Instead of tweaking the Matzo recipe, I went with the Dough Doctor's cracker crust recipe. I did make one change. I doubled the amount of oil in the recipe. I noticed a very different result. The dough was crackery, thin, and crisp. Like the Matzo recipe but the crust was more substantial like I was looking for. Just increasing the oil made all the difference. The crust was less dense and chewy than the original recipe, it was very light and airy. I have made two pies using double the oil, and they were my best pies to date. Thanks for the matzo tip, I finally made the pie I was looking for. It is almost like the Pizza Hut thin and crispy from the 60's and 70's.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:01 PM »
nick57,

Glad you could make the kind of cracker style you wanted.  Congrats!  :chef:

Norma