Author Topic: Anybody here ever have Tripoli's Pizza?  (Read 8119 times)

Offline burkefamily

Anybody here ever have Tripoli's Pizza?
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
I grew up in Salisbury MA.  There at the beach we have two pizza places that serve, what we like to call, beach pizza.  The two places are Tripoli's and Cristy's and both serve a thin crust "pan style" pizza with a sweet sauce and very little cheese.  You can add extra slices of different cheese types which is reheated and served.  I love this pizza and i am sure anybody who has tried it would say its unique. If anybody has any ideas on how to duplicate this at home I would love to know.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Anybody here ever have Tripoli's Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »
Burkefamily,  I have had tripoli several times over the last 5 years or so.  Its my buddys favorite,  and he turned me onto it.  it is really unique.  I can tell you they use spiral mixers and a relatively short room temp fermentation and moderate hydration,  I would say about 60 percent.  They use all trumps high gluten bleached bromated flour and par bake the crust with sauce only on it on the pan,  with no oil at all maybe just some superfine semolina under the dough for stretching.  I believe they were using a Stanislaus tomato product last time I saw a can,  but I forget which one,  but I think its the 7/11 or tomato magic.  Either way,  the sauce seems quite sweet and includes oregano,  if not other herbs as well.  I would guess they are just using a good quality ground tomato,  then doctoring it to create that taste,  which I have had a hard time figuring out. Anyone else know anything about them?  Hope this helps a bit  -marc

Offline burkefamily

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:35:01 PM »
Thanks Marc, 
     Thats great info.  Really miss this pizza since I've been in GA for 15 years. Next to lobster and steamers, its the other must have food when I go home to visit.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:20:57 PM »
A few years ago I spent quite a lot of time in lawrence MA and had a chance to eat at Tripoli and Christy's.  There was one other place in the area making the same pizza, but I forget the name.    All three were great, but I think Tripoli with the addition of provolone was my favorite.   I just wanted to point out that that the local hub for that style of pizza is actually Rhode Island.   There are hundreds of places in RI making the same thing, and a few in the boston area (mostly in somerville), but Lawrence is the furthest north I have encountered the style.   

You might find it interesting that the same exact pizza can also be found all over the northeastern Pennsylvania. I have had Victory Pig and Senapes, and it is indeed 99% the same as the Lawrence MA pizza.  here is a thread  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1082.0.html

Marc, I think you nailed it on the head with the sauce/flour/hydration, and I do believe there is also a bit of fat in the dough.    My guess is that oven temps are probably around 400-450 degrees, and an important part is also the highly seasoned (rarely if ever cleaned) pans that the pizza is baked in.    Most people refer to the style as "bakery" pizza.   

Offline romoman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »
Tripolis is not even close to Old Forge pizza or any other pizza from the valley area.

Tripolis uses provalone as the extra cheese and does not include any oil in the pan. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:20:55 PM »
I think you are right and my saying that they arer 99% the same is probably too optimistic.  I have had them both and find the crust and sauce to be pretty darn similar, certainly similar enough to be classified as the same style of pizza.  I understand the cheeses used can be different, and that the old forge style can be a bit thicker.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:42:09 PM by scott r »

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »
Was at tripoli in seabrook this weekend.  I asked if there was oil in the dough,  the guy said yes,  and also in the sauce,  he offered that up.  Then I asked what else was in the sauce and he said I can't tell you that...  that was the end of that.  I also had a sloce of christys at hampton beach this weekend and it was extremely similar to tripoli,  but I might have liked it better,  I'll have to try it again sometime.  I may have to try and come up with a clone recipie for this style.

Offline btdown

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »
Had some of this pizza this Tripoli's Pizza last weekend and came here to see if anyone had been able to suggest a recipe that would come close.
Anyone tried to make this at home with any decent results?
Thanks!

Offline Crocket

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
I grew up in Salisbury MA.  There at the beach we have two pizza places that serve, what we like to call, beach pizza.  The two places are Tripoli's and Cristy's and both serve a thin crust "pan style" pizza with a sweet sauce and very little cheese.  You can add extra slices of different cheese types which is reheated and served.  I love this pizza and i am sure anybody who has tried it would say its unique. If anybody has any ideas on how to duplicate this at home I would love to know.

Many people have tried to duplicate this recipe, some have gone so far as to say they have the recipe.  But it has not been copied.  Interesting to see some folks rummaging through the trash trying to figure out the ingredients.  (That's illegal by the way)  The attempts here to figure things out aren't close at all.   The employees are under contract not to disclose the recipe.  If you got information, then you were sent on a wild goose chase. 

scott123

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »
Interesting to see some folks rummaging through the trash trying to figure out the ingredients.  (That's illegal by the way)

Show me the law or legal precedent that makes dumpster diving (for non commercial purposes) illegal.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »
I think the dumpster contents are the property of either the company that picks up the trash or the pizza place!

Not that I care!   But I would like to see also! 

Offline LBpizza

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 08:08:36 AM »
This is the style pizza I would like to make....I live in Florida now and cannot find anything close. I know there are others than know how to make similar pizza, but that too was in NE. I have a hard time to believe that after all these years in business, that some secrets did not get out in all this time..

Offline SCM33

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 12:54:49 AM »
I am hit or miss when making the crust. Sometimes it is nice and crunchy, sometimes it gets a little soggy.

This is how I think the recipe is made:

They use a very sweet sauce. Tomato magic I believe. If you cannot get your hands on that, I like to use a sauce that has nothing in it other than tomatoes, salt, oil and oregano. To sweeten the sauce you add brown sugar to taste.

The cheese is ALL PROVOLONE. No mozzarella. The salty provolone combined with the sweet sauce and crunchy crust is heaven.

I spread my dough on a square pan, spread out some sauce and sprinkle some oregano on it and bake it. After a few minutes and the sauce is steaming, I throw some diced provolone on it and throw it back in the oven til the cheese starts to melt.

Anyone with a recipe for perfect thin crunchy crust that can be baked in an oven?

Offline LBpizza

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Yes...for me the crust has been a much bigger problem than the sauce, which i am getting much closer to. i am doing better leaving the crust in the fridge for several days, rather than using it the same day. Makes a difference, but I am not there yet.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
hey, r u using bromated flour?    I cant get this crust right without it.   

Offline LBpizza

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
No...I haven't found any at the store I usually shop at. But I imagine that may be what I am missing...

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
yes it is bromated all trumps  possibly full strength.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
Show me the law or legal precedent that makes dumpster diving (for non commercial purposes) illegal.

I think it is only illegal (for any purposes) if the dumpster is on private property.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
I want to attempt this style pizza but don't know what type of pan I should use.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
well seasoned, black, steel,rectangular,  full sheet bake on stone

pizzapan