Author Topic: Naples style?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
Naples style?
« on: March 18, 2005, 11:03:37 AM »

Has anybody ever been to this website before?

www.firedeck.com/cooking_naples_style.htm

Everyone may have seen this before and i'm just a little late, but if you haven't check it out all three parts of this story. It seems to be the definition of simplistic in recipe and processing. Also, to all, especially the piazziolo of Italian heritage or who have studied indepth the art of Napoletana pizza making, is this authentic or just someone blowing a lot of smoke??

JAG

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Naples style?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 11:27:14 AM »
JAG,

The article is the same as one I provided a link to several weeks ago (see Reply #32 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,705.msg6695.html#msg6695) that I found at http://www.woodstone-corp.com/cooking_naples_style.htm. More recently, with increased interest in Neapolitan style pizzas, the same article resurfaced again on another thread. Since Caputo was involved, I would say that it is representative of the Neapolitan style of pizza making. However, I know that there are some pizza experts who recommend a higher hydration, something over 60% as opposed to the mid-50s. At the time I studied the article, I downscaled the recipe to a single size pizza dough ball weight and converted the yeast to IDY. I didn't post it at the time but I am willing to do so if anyone is interested.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 11:32:14 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 06:36:51 PM »
I am Neapolitan (born and raised) and have the right knowledge.

That is the simple recipe that can be copied by anyone. The very good pizzeria in Naples have always done a type of dough called "acqua fresca" (fresh water) to indicate the high hydratation.

This people are behind the VPN, which in my opinion, was born with a good intent, but now it is following only commercial gain.

I am available for more discussion on the subject.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 06:41:21 PM »
Tell me more about "acqua fresca." 

Do any pizzerias in the US practice that approach?
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 06:51:18 PM »
it is a wet dough.

The 1.8kg indicate just the suggested absorbtion rate of the Caputo flour. By the way the one you can see in the woodstone pictures, is The Reinforced Red type, which is stronger then the blue pizzeria, and in my opinion need even more water for that.

Why not everybody use it?
Because it is too difficult to handle and make. I have seen people working for years in different pizzerias, that were not even able to take a dough ball out of the dough box.

This however is not a good excuse. The final product need to be the goal, not the easy way to make it. For that we will let Pizza Hut handle it...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 07:43:37 PM by pizzanapoletana »