Author Topic: Am I sick? Do I need help? Will it get better?  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Am I sick? Do I need help? Will it get better?
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 07:56:56 PM »
 :-D I plea the 5th!  :-X

Offline kross

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:36 PM »
I need an oven that I can set at 100F to quickly proof doughs.  The lowest temp I can set is 170F.

Turn on the oven light.  In my oven, that keeps the temp right between 90 and 100.

To quickly get the oven up to that temperature to start, so you don't have to wait for the light bulb to heat up the oven, just turn on the oven until the electric burner just starts to glow, then turn it off.  If you have a gas oven, I'm sure something similar will work.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »
Kross that is a GREAT tip!  Thx I'll have to try that out and see what temps my oven can maintain with the light on.

Offline carbon

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 07:26:09 PM »
I'm not quite there yet as all of my obsessive energy has been focused on the construction of my wfo.  ...lol...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
I'm not quite there yet as all of my obsessive energy has been focused on the construction of my wfo.  ...lol...

Carbon, I only wish I had your problem right about now.  Looking forward to the pics and pies ;)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 11:03:10 PM »
Pete I AM suffering from some of those symptoms, especially googling for information and thinking nothing of posting in the middle of the night.

According to my calculations, JT's post count will exceed Pete's on 9/26/2018 at 1:08 am with 29,592 posts to Pete's 29,591.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 11:14:31 PM »
According to my calculations, JT's post count will exceed Pete's on 9/26/2018 at 1:08 am with 29,592 posts to Pete's 29,591.

Craig

:-D  I will never exceed Peter's post count.  And most of my posts are not even informative like Peter's.  No one can touch Peter.  You've brought up a question that I've had for some time and not asked though. 

When I log onto the forum, at the upper left hand corner is the "total time logged in" counter.  I have always wondered what some of the senior members times are .     

Mine is a mere 28 days 3 hours and 5 min at the time of this posting.  Peter? Scott123? TxCraig1, et al?  Do tell...inquiring minds want to know.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:11 PM »

Craig,

Before I officially became a registered member of the forum in 2004, I posted as a Guest, which is no longer allowed. So, my post count is actually a bit higher than noted on the forum. That aside, I think that Norma, the Energizer bunny, is likely to give both Chau and me a run for our money :-D. Also, if you remove all of my redundant posts where I have answered essentially the same questions over and over again, you will find that my "true" post count is closer to about 50. One member once told me that I was too nice to our members who kept raising the same questions over and over again and that I should just tell them "been there, done that" and be done with it.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 11:31:56 PM »
As of tonight:

parallei

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 11:33:30 PM »
Another sign of "the sickness":

Has it ever been suggested to you that, when guests are over, it might be a good idea to just serve pizza instead of walking it around the backyard looking for the right light to photograph it in?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 12:07:07 AM »
I look at all the time I have spent on this forum, and wonder where all that time went.  :-\ At least I was learning and helping my brain to stay active. I just had my brother look at this thread and he says I am eccentric.  He is from Colorado and only gets in to visit about once a year.  He was changing information from my one computer to another and visiting.  When he finally had my new computer working, I had so much trouble typing and even trying to operate that new computer and couldnít even post right. He is very calm and just says calm down, Norma.  Right now I am back on my old computer. He says I spend too much time on the forum, but he still cares for me, even if I am eccentric and take to much time up trying to many kinds of pizzas.  I wish he lived in my area because he can figure out all the hard math stuff I canít.  I donít know if I will ever be able to give Chau a run for his money.  As for you Peter, I am just trying to learn and never will have all the knowledge you have about making pizza.  I always just need to read one more post, to see if I am missing something that might help me understand pizza better.  :-D

Bill,

You did have to post those times, didnít you?  :o

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

PaulsPizza

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 05:42:16 AM »
Chau, you nearly made it onto the leaderboard!! :o ;D

I am sadly lagging behing on 13days 15hours and 51minutes :'( :-D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
Chau, you nearly made it onto the leaderboard!! :o ;D

I'll bet JT starts leaving his computer on all the time now. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
I'm really trying to cut back on my forum time, but you all make it really hard. ;)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
Chan,

There are a lot of things that don't show up in the numbers, like the hours that I sleep with my head on my computer desk with the PM.com website on the screen, or where I use the PM.com screen as a home page or a night light :-D.

More seriously, all the time that the Moderators spend keeping everything in order also mounts up over the years and is included in the numbers, in my case since sometime in 2004 when I first became a Moderator. All new member profiles are reviewed by the Moderators and I try to look at every new post to be sure that it is posted in the right board and, if not, to move it to a better place. The other day, as part of a new project, I reviewed and updated the NY Style board. That took me all day. Not long ago, Bill/SFNM and I were tearing our hair out (I have never seen a photo of the mysterious Bill but I assume he has hair) as the forum was being slammed by spammers outside of the U.S., often at night when everyone is asleep. Fortunately, Steve was able to take measures to stop the deluge. These are only a few of the things that go on behind the curtain that most members never notice. But without those monitoring efforts, the forum could end up in shambles, as almost happened recently at the PMQ Think Tank until the PMQ management intervened.

Moderators also tend to get more PMs than other members. I delete mine from time to time but over the years they have amounted to thousands in my case. I try wherever possible to have such members post their questions before the open forum, so that everyone can participate or benefit, but for the others I respond just as I would on the forum. All that time makes its way into the numbers too. Things were much easier when I first joined, when there were 142 members. Now we have over 10,800. Of course, not everyone posts but the numbers have been going up rapidly as people discover the forum.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
Peter, thank you for giving us a glimpse into how busy the job of a moderator can be.   I think many of us members really take the forum and the moderators for granted.  I am sure this is true of any busy forum.   

It really can not be said enough, but thank you to Steve and all our moderators for selflessly giving of themselves and their time (voluntarily) so that we all have a place to socialize and express our pizza addiction. 

A BIG round of applause for our Moderators.   

Chau

PaulsPizza

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »
I agree Chau, we owe a hell of a lot to Steve and his team of moderators!

Thank you guys!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »
Chau and Paul,

Thank you very much. However, I don't want you or anyone else to think that I feel slighted in any way. I get more than my share of thanks from our members. It is just that I have come to the conclusion after watching other pizza forums that good forum content and even the best and brightest members, of which we are blessed with many, are not enough to keep a forum viable. Of course, having good forum content and good members are important, since without them people will not join and participate on the forum, but without quality moderating and monitoring things can go downhill pretty fast.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »
One thing Peter doesn't mention is that sometimes we end up taking abuse from people who don't appreciate our "zero-tolerance" policy on improperly disruptive or commercial posts. One guy, whose message I deleted, ended his tirade saying that I "represent everything that is wrong with the country". The other mods have their own war stories.

And for the record, most of my hair long ago jumped ship and is presumed lost at sea.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
But Bill....I thought you looked like Brad Pitt.....;-)