Author Topic: camaldoli starter smell  (Read 1168 times)

Offline markus1984

camaldoli starter smell
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »
Hi, have a question about camaldi starter smell. I startet the culture 5 days ago and it seems to be fully active now, which is indicated by its volume and texture but i noticed the smell is not as strong now as after 1 and 2 days, it still has a kinda fresh sour smell but it is very mild not as intense as before, is that ok or is something wrong with the culture? thanks, Adam

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: camaldoli starter smell
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »
If it doesn't smell bad, you're OK. The whole system is in flux as you put it through some pretty extreme changes. It may take weeks or months before it finally settles down.

Offline markus1984

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:06:51 AM »
Thanks Bill, hope something will change as it works great considering texture and rising but the taste is very weak.

Offline artigiano

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »
Feed it a little less and slightly build up the acid. Do it for a few days to build up the bacteria and I always do the last feeding well before I use the starter.  It may be you have too much uneated and digested food still in the culture which doesnt give off enough flavour.

Offline markus1984

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
Thanks a lot, will do that for sure, I am sure there is much more taste in it than i have at the monent.