Author Topic: Sicilian Dough ????  (Read 55467 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Sicilian Dough ????
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy this stuff at a store in MA, I don't feel like ordering it off line.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »
BSO,  I got mine,  big bag mind you 50# at ok bakers supply in ludlow mass.  It was only 21 dollars.  Scott R  told me about them years ago,  but they no longer carry the unbromated all trumps,  which is why he found them in the first place.  marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »
WideSpread since you have used the Semolina #1 can I just grind it down to a fine powder like a flour or no. I have been on the internet for like 30 minutes trying to find Italian food stores or places that sell the Semolina di grano duro and can't find anything. I found one place but I don't know if they will have it I will have to try on Monday when they open.

Offline LizzieTheChef

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »
abc,

Here you go.

Assuming a thickness factor of 0.13, the amount of dough you will need for your 18" x 12" pan is 18  x 12 x 0.13 = 28.08 ounces (796.08 g.).

The amounts of ingredients you will need are set forth in the recipe below. You will note that the Lehmann Sicilian dough recipe as originally posted calls for bread flour with a protein content of 11.7%. I usually use the King Arthur brand of bread flour, which has a protein content of 12.7%. Whatever bread flour you have on hand should work fine. You can even use a higher gluten flour if you'd like but if you do that you may want to increase the amount of water a bit. I did not convert the bread flour to volume measurements in the recipe posted below because I don't have any bread flour on hand at the moment. But you will note that the flour comes to a bit over a pound. I also converted the cake yeast called for in the Lehmann recipe to instant dry yeast (IDY), for convenience.

Lehmann Sicilian Dough Recipe for abc's 18" x 12" Pan
100%, Bread flour, 16.90 oz. (479.08 g.)
2.5%, Salt (table salt), 0.42 oz. (11.98 g.), (a bit over 2 1/8 t.)
5.0%, Olive oil, 0.85 oz. (23.95 g.), (1 T. plus 2 1/8 t.)
0.67%, Instant dry yeast (IDY), 0.11 oz. (3.21 g.), (a bit over 1 t.)
58%, Water, 9.80 oz. (277.86 g.), (1 /1/4 c.)
Total dough ball weight = 28.08 oz. (796.08 g.)
Thickness factor (TF) = 0.13

I would make the dough just like you have been making the Lehmann NY style dough. When you are ready to pan the dough, you may want to take a look at Big Dave's instructions for oiling the pan. You need a fair amount of oil to get that crispiness you seem to want. There's also no reason that I can see why you can't use Big Dave's instructions for using the dough rather than Tom L's if you think you'd like Big Dave's approach better.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Yikes! I just tried this recipe out and all I have in my mixer is a bunch of flakes of dough, it is very tough and won't come together really.. Is that amount of water correct? Wanted to try a different pizza recipe...

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Is that amount of water correct?

Yes, it is correct. Are you using the weight measurement for the water or the volume measurement?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:18:55 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline LizzieTheChef

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
I used the volume measurement. Stupid question, would 9.8oz be the same as 9.8 fl.oz? From the results I got it seems like the answer is no. I am going to check right now. Thanks for the quick reply Pete! You are my favorite poster here :-)

edit I just checked, it is a little less than 1 1/4c water.Either way that dough is really messed up right now, so I will start another one regardless. Over a pound of flour just seems like it is a lot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:54:03 PM by LizzieTheChef »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »
LizzieTheChef,

9.8 ounces of water by weight is technically 1.17 cups (9.8/8.345). To use the volume measurement, you would place the measuring cup on a flat surface and read the marking at eye level, using the bottom meniscus. When is the last time that you have seen anyone measure out water that way? I just measured out 9.8 ounces of water (by weight) and it was just shy of 1 1/4 cups in my two-cup Pyrex measuring cup.

In general, when I find that the dough is drier than it should be, or I think it should be, I just add more water, generally a half-teaspoon at a time, until I am satisfied that the dough is OK from a hydration standpoint.

The recipe you tried is a commercial recipe. That is why the hydration level is lower than you might have expected. The lower hydration level makes it easier for workers to handle the dough. In a home environment, you can use more water if you'd like. With bread flour, you should be able to use up to 62% without any problems. Many people go even higher than that with a Sicilian style, at the risk of making the dough somewhat harder to handle because it will be quite wet and want to stick to everything.

Peter