Author Topic: my latest disaster :)  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Jazzman

my latest disaster :)
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
Help again!

asked for help with my peel issues a few days ago, and got lots of good responses and ideas - thanks.

OK, so still trying to get a decent version of the Reinhart foccacia recipe.  My first few attempts were really quite good, I was baking at 550 degrees on a preheated stone for 9-10 minutes, and the pizzas were coming out great, but I had peel issues, and it was difficult to get the pizzas on the stone without making a huge mess.  So someone pointed out that I should have been using a pan, so I tried a pan this time, following Reinhart's directions ( p 234):

Preheated the oven to 500, put quite a bit of olive oil on some parchment paper (that was in a standard baking sheet).  Let the dough rise as he suggested.  When it came time to cook, dropped the temp to 450 and put the pan in for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, it seemed like it was completely done to me, but I went ahead and topped it with some red sauce and cheese (per his suggestion, that cheeses etc should go on the last few minutes), and put it in for another 10 minutes (he suggests 20 minutes, rotate pan, then another 10-20 minutes).

Well, the bottom (including the parchment paper) was completely burned and black - inedible.  So my questions are:
1) too high heat?  Too long?
2) Should I do 10 minutes, then top, then another 10?
3) Should I use a different pan (I have a Sicilian style square pan - a nice one)
4) It seemed like too much olive oil to me (2 Tablespoons on the paper, 1/4 cup on top of the dough)- it was floating in it, and the dough was already oily - is that what burned?

The pan is definitely the way to go, I think - just gotta tweak this a bit - your input is appreciated!

pizzapan