Author Topic: My first Sicillian Pie. Opinions please.  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

My first Sicillian Pie. Opinions please.
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
Well I made my first Sicillian pie tonight and it turned out pretty good.  I used some leftover dough from my experimental NY style recipe.  This dough was about a 70% hydration, bulk risen for 3 hours, then cold fermented for 12 hours and proofed at room temps for 6 hours prior to baking.  Before cold fermenting, the dough was rolled out and placed in a well oiled 10" ceramic pan. Prior to room temperature proofing, I stretched the dough a bit to meet the edge of the pan.  After the room temp proof, the dough expanded and filled the pan.  It was covered the whole time and felt quite wet and extensible.  Cooked the bottom a wee bit long, but it was good. 

2 differences I noted between this Sicillian and a NY pie I made from an almost identical recipe. 

It was much wetter and more extensible than a 73% hydration doughball that was turned into a NY pie made from the same recipe.  The only difference in the 2 was the hydration ratio, but yet they behaved quite different.  The 73% doughball was was easy to open and handle.  I was even able to toss it in the air a few times. 

2) even though both recipes were nearly identical, the pan pizza had a very different crumb structure. The pan pizza had a very white bread like structure similar to a Pizza hut pan pizza.  I suspect this is due to the extra thickness and weight of the dough and cheese giving the crust a more compact cell structure.  The taste was quite different with the oily crunchy bottom and denser crust despite using a NY style recipe. 

Ideas and comments please.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: My first Sicillian Pie. Opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »
Here's the NY pie with a very similar recipe.  Only difference is the hydration ratio of about 73%.

Offline PizzaNick

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16:56 AM »
nice pies!  that sicilian looks real good to me!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »
Well I made my first Sicilian pie tonight and it turned out pretty good.  I used some leftover dough from my experimental NY style recipe.  This dough was about a 70% hydration, bulk risen for 3 hours, then cold fermented for 12 hours and proofed at room temps for 6 hours prior to baking.  Before cold fermenting, the dough was rolled out and placed in a well oiled 10" ceramic pan. Prior to room temperature proofing, I stretched the dough a bit to meet the edge of the pan.  After the room temp proof, the dough expanded and filled the pan.  It was covered the whole time and felt quite wet and extensible.  Cooked the bottom a wee bit long, but it was good. 

2 differences I noted between this Sicilian and a NY pie I made from an almost identical recipe. 

It was much wetter and more extensible than a 73% hydration doughball that was turned into a NY pie made from the same recipe.  The only difference in the 2 was the hydration ratio, but yet they behaved quite different.  The 73% doughball was was easy to open and handle.  I was even able to toss it in the air a few times. 

2) even though both recipes were nearly identical, the pan pizza had a very different crumb structure. The pan pizza had a very white bread like structure similar to a Pizza hut pan pizza.  I suspect this is due to the extra thickness and weight of the dough and cheese giving the crust a more compact cell structure.  The taste was quite different with the oily crunchy bottom and denser crust despite using a NY style recipe. 

Ideas and comments please.

Tranman,

Your Sicilian and NY style pies look great!  :)  I have noticed the same thing when making the Sicilian and NY style from the same formula.  They taste completely different even though mine are from the same dough. 

You are making great progress and I enjoyed watching your experiments.

Thanks for showing the pictures and explaining how you went about making the pies,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:47:15 AM »
They look fantastic. Sicilian is a dangerous addiction, however.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »
Thanks guys and gal for the encouragement.  I'm happy to be experimenting. 

I agree that Sicillian pies are addicting.  My other favorite aside from NY style is pan pizza.  I just love fried foods.  That might have something to do with it. 

pizzapan